EPIC 2018 Beer Tasting - Barrel Aged Stouts

Comments

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

@UPSLynx said:
    I am in. The 2010 tasting was the first real beer tasting I ever did, and pretty much my introduction into barrel aged stouts. Changed my life. I remember going home after that, going to a dive bar, and asking if they had a beer called Bourbon County. Ah, to be young again.

Buy your damn ticket bro lol

LincUPSLynx
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@RyanMM said:

Listen I'ma give you a Real Talk, but I feel like I need an asterisk that you asked me for an attendee list before you registered yourself for Expo. :p

RyanMMGargGHoosdumMassalinie

@Linc said:

@RyanMM said:

Listen I'ma give you a Real Talk, but I feel like I need an asterisk that you asked me for an attendee list before you registered yourself for Expo. :p

lol

To be fair, at least I knew I was attending one way or the other! ;)

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

To be fair, so does he :p

RyanMM
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    To be fair, so does he :p

Not if he waits until after the deadline to register again.

DontCallMeKelso

Normally I don't like to reveal anything specific about what's going to be in my blind tastings because people will be looking for that beer in the tasting, perhaps biasing their ratings as they go through. Ideally, I want a blind to be a total black box before we start so that there's no preconceptions going in.

That being said, as far as I know we only have 11 registrants (myself excluded) through Wednesday morning (waiting to hear from @linc if there are any new signups since then) and I would really like to get to 15.

So I will try and give a little more info without giving up any of the specific beers at the tasting:

All of the beers in this tasting:

• will have been beers with fairly consistent annual/seasonal releases for at least the last 3 years
    • will be aged in either bourbon or rye whiskey barrels
    • will be from the bottles that are, at minimum, 18-30 months old - most of these will be the 2016 vintage
    • are, as of the most recent release, available in 12oz, 12.7oz, or 16.9oz bottles, or 12 to 16oz cans

That last bullet point rules out a lot of beer, but what I'm trying to do is keep it to candidates that you could possibly open a bottle of by yourself without feeling too guilty

Some of the candidates, but not all, are on this list here, in case you want to start fantasizing about which ones may be in the tasting.

There will be an assortment of food and snacks to go along with the beer.

Hurry up and buy your expo ticket, and make sure you don't miss this.

BobbyDigiGarg
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2018

I guess Kentucky bourbon barrel ale is off the list since it isn't a stout, but i can mail some up on you're interested.

Actually they make a stout, but it missed out on a number of your criteria. Is only 8.2, and not aged bottles

A friend who I have convinced to attend Expo, but not yet convinced to join the forum, also tells me he got the beer tasting ticket.

LincRyanMM

@d3k0y said:
    I guess Kentucky bourbon barrel ale is off the list since it isn't a stout, but i can mail some up on you're interested.

Actually they make a stout, but it missed out on a number of your criteria. Is only 8.2, and not aged bottles

I appreciate the offer, but I've got plenty of options for this tasting right now - whittling down and lining up the needed bottles in the next 9 days is actually my next big project. Out of the 10 beers I'll probably feature, I only have 3-4 of the proper vintages on hand.

edited June 2018

@GHoosdum said:
    A friend who I have convinced to attend Expo, but not yet convinced to join the forum, also tells me he got the beer tasting ticket.

Your friend is going to be off to an awesome start here. He should definitely get his account so he can start racking up cheevos! Is that JHB?

edited June 2018

Please let me know about any food allergies or things you avoid - there will be things to eat during this tasting and I do want to make sure to make accommodations.

@Gargoyle
    @MAGIC
    @cola
    @bobbydigi
    @ghoosdum
    @linc
    @Tushon
    @lershee
    @doabarrellroll
    @aaron
    @UPSLynx
    @The_Ischyros

Yes, he signed up on eventbrite as JHB. He says he's signing up on Icrontic today, not sure if he'll use the same username.

Things I avoid: chicken, pig (including any form of sausage based upon pig, and dare I say - even bacon).

He signed up as @The_Ischyros

RyanMMGHoosdumLinc

@GHoosdum said:
    even bacon

GHoosdumGargMassalinie
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

I volunteer to sit next to @GHoosdum and eat his pork.

Please, hold your applause. I'd like to bear this burden with quiet dignity and a mouth full of sausage.

colaGHoosdumMAGICMassalinieRyanMM
    edited June 2018

@GHoosdum said:
    Yes, he signed up on eventbrite as JHB. He says he's signing up on Icrontic today, not sure if he'll use the same username.

Things I avoid: chicken, pig (including any form of sausage based upon pig, and dare I say - even bacon).

I guess I'm just gonna have to do steak and scallops or something. Damn.

Note to self: don't wrap the protein in bacon.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

I so read that Barrel Aged Scouts....needless to say I just got of work.

RyanMM
    edited June 2018

Okay folks, I have 3 more seats to this tasting that need to fill - please consider signing up if you forgot or couldn't at the time of registration! I promise you will regret missing this if you're the least bit into delicious, rich, barrel-aged stoutbois.

Tag spam. #sorrynotsorry, if you don't drink beer or aren't of age, I'm too lazy right now to filter. ;)

@HumerusMeg
    @THRAX
    @BELLS
    @CB
    @CHOOCH
    @COLGERE
    @CRAZYJOE
    @DJMEPH
    @DRASNOR
    @EVONNECAMERON
    @FARGE
    @GNOMEQUEEN
    @GOATMONGER
    @J
    @THE_ISCHYROS
    @JOETHESHMOE
    @KAINTENANCE
    @KWITKO
    @MALIA
    @MASSALINIE
    @OBSIDIAN
    @QCH
    @RYANFODDER
    @RYDER
    @SASSCHAN
    @SAZBEAN
    @SAZBOOM
    @SODA
    @SONOROUS

I'm sure the children, all under 18, will be well served by this tag spam

@primesuspect said:
    I'm sure the children, all under 18, will be well served by this tag spam

Anyone with "Kid" in their name has been removed - if there's anyone else not of age, let me know.

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2018

I'm out, just not interested in paying that much for beer.

GnomeQueenRyanMMmalia
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:
    Please, hold your applause. I'd like to bear this burden with quiet dignity and a mouth full of sausage.

That's what she said.

Currently experimenting with some food pairings for the beers. This is rough. Oh, how I suffer for you all.

GarglersheeUPSLynx
  • lersheelershee Keeper of J Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian

I'm so excited looking at that photo. Barrel aged stout and pistachios = SO GOOD! ;D

RyanMMMAGIC

It only took a half-dozen trade posts, a couple hundred messages back and forth, a few hours of driving and meeting to do 4 in person trades in Detroit and 1 shipped acquisition from Colorado, but all of the beer for the tasting is now on hand.

One day left!

GargMassalinieTushon
    edited June 2018

Although my comments on the tasting score sheet became less coherent as the tasting progressed, I stand by my ratings. Good company, great beer selection, and best smoked fish ice cream on coconut cookies I've ever had. A+++ would beer again.

RyanMM
    edited June 2018

Thanks again for everyone for attending!

That was a lot of fun.

I'm working on figuring out the winner of the tasting based on people's scoresheets.

I only found 13/15 scoresheets after the tasting, so I'm missing 2. Of the 13, 11 had names or I could figure out whose they were, but I have a couple sheets that I don't have an owner for.

I have completed the ones with thumbs ups; the others I can't be sure I'll be able to count towards the scoring. But as of right now, we definitely have a decisive winner. If anyone kept their scoresheet or can help me decipher their notes, let me know.

1. @Gargoyle :thumbsup:
    2. @MAGIC :thumbsup:
    3. @cola :thumbsup:
    4. @bobbydigi :thumbsup:
    5. @ghoosdum :thumbsup:
    6. @linc :thumbsup:
    7. @Tushon :thumbsup:
    8. @lershee :thumbsup:
    9. @doabarrellroll (need clarification)
    10. @aaron (not enough info to score)
    11. @UPSLynx :thumbsup:
    12. @The_Ischyros :thumbsup:
    13. @Soda :thumbsup:
    14. @bells :thumbsup:
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Mine had names like "burning" and "smooth" with an X / 10 scale and only had the name of the Brains beer #5 and Dragon's Milk. The rest were labeled as "Beer".

I imagine a lot of people name and grade like this so hopefully that helps you determine which was mine.

-Digi

RyanMM
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

My ratings:

1. 6
    2. 3
    3. 6.5
    4. 4
    5. 8
    6. 7.5
    7. 7.5
    8. 5
    9. 4.5
    10. 5

What's weird is how much I've liked Dragon's Milk (#10) on other occasions, but in comparison to the others, the body seemed so weak.

RyanMM