Options

RUMOR ALERT: Half Life 2 delayed... again?

edited February 2004 in Science & Tech
[link=http://www.warp2search.net]Warp2search[/link] reports that the release date for Half Life 2 has been put back to September 24th 2004. ...sigh.

[blockquote][G]uess they must be completly re-making that game! Shame nVidia got so upset about their performance, that they forced a re-work of the GFX Engine to make nVidia GPU's perform better. [/blockquote][link=http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=16033]Read report[/link]

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    if($Half-Life == 'Delayed')
    {$_ENVEREX = '0';}
    else{$Half-Life = 'Pre-order'};

Aka, I no-longer have any interest in the game at all.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    same here, screw that game.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    nVidia must have paid Valve a LOT of $$$ to delay the game to rewrite it for their crappy FX cards...
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited January 2004
    It is going to end up like Duke Nukem Forever.
    Forever describes the wait pretty good.
    Now it is Half-Life Forever.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    It'l probably never come out.

Bored of this to be honest. Wait till September.. and it'l delayed again no doubt.

There are plenty of kickass games coming out this year, this is just one less now.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    ATi must be feeling pretty ****ty too now that people can't use those tokens for a while and it would probably make a small dent to keep the promotion running up till the release.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited January 2004
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Such potential... such a waste.

/me has preordered Doom 3
    GHoosdumCantiUPSLynxmidga
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Awwww crapo. O well, I could care less also.

/me waits for Halo2 and Doom3.
    Cantimidga
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited January 2004
    it missed the target last september, that was its chance to hit it big as i see it. by the time it comes out, the engine probably wont be anything special anyomre.

oh well
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited January 2004
    *yawn*

Sucks for them. Personally, I don't care. I never cared to begin with, actually, since I don't usually play FPSes, but at this point, I don't see how anyone could possibly care.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I was looking forward to it so eagerly last year :(

I hope it's still good but it really can't make quite the punch it would have.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I was looking a lot more forward to HL2 than Doom 3. Probably because HL2 would have actually ran on my system...
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Duke nukem forever and half life 2 don't really exist, they're just cruel jokes being played on us.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I wouldn't care....if I hadn't bought the 9600xt with the expectation that my voucher would be worth more than the paper it's printed on :(
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited January 2004
    Screw Valve anyway!!

Doom3 due out 04-01-04. Quake 4 will hopefully follow shortly. Half-Life 2 will have nothing on those 2, so who cares if they delay it to 2005 or even if they dont release it at all.
    midga
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2004
    Half-Life 2 probably will never come out. just scam to get us all excited. If doom 3 and Quake 4 come out before HL2 who cares about HL2. Just another hope lost
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2004
    Diablo II had a nice wait also ....

I am sure we will all play it when (err... if?) it comes out .... you are all just bitter :P~
  • TheSmJTheSmJ
    checks halflife2.net.

You guys realize there is no actual proof of a Half Life 2 delay... right? Valve hasn't said anything to anyone, and right now it's all just speculation and rumor.

Again I'll ask the question: How could there be a delay, if there never was a set date to begin wi...
    edited January 2004
    checks halflife2.net.

You guys realize there is no actual proof of a Half Life 2 delay... right? Valve hasn't said anything to anyone, and right now it's all just speculation and rumor.

Again I'll ask the question: How could there be a delay, if there never was a set date to begin with? Valve hasn't released anything. No info whatsoever on the release date. So how I ask is there an official "delay" if it never came from Valve?

Anyhow, the news thread posting this delay as fact is bogus. please, please close it, or delete it, or something. This is nothing more than a rumor, and SM is being used as a vessel for it's spread of lies.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Okay, this is a rumor.. Who cares? It's just a game :rolleyes:
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited January 2004
    come next september, we'll all be going crazy again. they better not move it back again. 1 year is a lot to back something up, unless they're improving the graphics during this time.

pathetic management of the project, that's for sure.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited January 2004
    SM-Bot wrote:
    [link=http://www.warp2search.net]Warp2search[/link] reports that the release date for Half Life 2 has been put back to September 24th 2004. ...sigh.
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Anyhow, the news thread posting this delay as fact is bogus. please, please close it, or delete it, or something. This is nothing more than a rumor, and SM is being used as a vessel for it's spread of lies.

My news report doesn't state this report is fact, it simply states another website has reported that there has been a delay. The report isn't spreading lies, everything in the report here at Short-Media is completely true, the website Warp2search has posted a report saying the release date for Half Life 2 has been delayed. That's not bogus or false, that's completely true! :rolleyes2 Just because the report at Warp2Seach may be inaccurate or false, doesn't mean it shouldn't be reported. You learn of something, you report it to people... that's news!
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Maybe it was never supposed to come out last year and they just wanted people to jump the gun on getting crazy video cards, so that this year more people will be able to play it beautifully.
  • edited January 2004
    Well, there's nothing saying it's untrue, either. The subject states "Half Life 2 delayed... Again". Not "Half Life 2 delayed...again?" or even a little blurb about how it's unconfirmed.

I'm not calling anyone a liar, just tryung to get it accross that there's no real evidence that suggests a delay, or otherwise.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited January 2004
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Well, there's nothing saying it's untrue, either. The subject states "Half Life 2 delayed... Again". Not "Half Life 2 delayed...again?" or even a little blurb about how it's unconfirmed.

Okay fair point, I'll make sure the title is more true to the report next time.

Cheers
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited January 2004
    Anyone remember HL:Condition Zero? It's been delayed for about 2 years come this summer. Oooh how I love Valve
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    TheSmJ wrote:
    * TheSmJ checks halflife2.net.

Again I'll ask the question: How could there be a delay, if there never was a set date to begin with? Valve hasn't released anything. No info whatsoever on the release date. So how I ask is there an official "delay" if it never came from Valve?

How does September 2003 sound? Wasn't that the original release date?
    I wonder about the voucher thing as well like Enverex mentioned. How would that work legally if someone took it long enough? Refund of money of some sort?
  • edited January 2004
    How does September 2003 sound? Wasn't that the original release date?

Sep 30 was the original release date. A week before this date, they stated (VALVE stated) that it was going to be delayed. They never gave a date, not even a time span.

If there is one thing I've learned about software and release dates (or anything concerning a release date for that matter) it's that you should NEVER believe what you hear, UNLESS you hear it from the company who is developing it. Everything else could be a rumor, hearsay, or someone just blowing smoke to get attention.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited February 2004
    OMG people should really get their vouchers laminated. :wow2:
    I presume ATi aren't happy about this.
    Quite a marketing campaign they launched earlier.
    Valve's Doug Lombardi has finally given a new, vague release date estimate: the company "is currently targeting this summer for the completion of Half-Life 2".

Also, "Valve does not plan to reveal any additional information until the time surrounding the E3 trade show" in May.
    Source:
    http://www.planethalflife.com/

Here's a special for TheSmJ.
    Finally words have sprung forth from Valve’s dark cave of which they have been hiding in for the past few months. Unfortunately these words have come from the infamous Doug Lombardi, valves Director of Marketing. Whether or not his words are true or not a good deal of people are going to pass this announcement aside due to the poor feelings left from the 30th September release date fiasco.

Today Doug Lombardi spoke to Chris Morris of CNN speaking of a new possible Half-Life 2 release date. He says Valve are "currently targeting this summer for the completion of Half-Life 2". This is not the exact release date, only an estimate. Hopefully there’s at long last some truth to Doug’s statement and we’ll be playing Half-Life 2 very soon.
    Suorce:
    http://www.halflife2.net/

And here's the link to CNN:
    http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/02/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited February 2004
    I don't think ATI really cares since they may have a new gen card to entice more crazy bleeders. It must suck for people who pre-ordered and now have to wait this long. It may get to a point where people won't care when it gets released. It had better be one great game or else the bitterness is going to flood the messageboards.

BTW: rumours are okay with stuff like this (IMO) since they really don't have an effect on people. Sure, emotionally, but we're not talking about buying stocks or something. It's just a game's release date. If you think it will effect the stock price of that company and you're itching to buy a ton of stock, then that's your responsibility to check it out further.