What is Icrontic playing? Beginning of 2019 edition

2»

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

I fucking love and hate that game!

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

When you can control the flow of dispatch, it's not too hard... when the game starts throwing trains that leave whether you want them to or not... you're screwed.

Also the procedurally generated starting spots for the stations doesn't always work. Sometimes it creates levels that are literally impossible, which is maddening.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I've begun in on Enemy At the Gates. This is the game that Jon Shafer decided to make after he was unhappy with the direction of CivV. I backed it on Kickstarter 7 years ago, and wasn't sure it would ever be finished, but here it is, and it's pretty good so far, though I'm only a couple hours into m first playthrough.

• I have not gotten around to it yet but I picked up a copy of the Street Fighter 30th anniversary collection for the PS4. I'm actually thinking about building a cabinet around playing that title alone. For now I'm going to grab my fight pad tonight and hijack my kids PlayStation. I realize it's on PC but I'm hoping I can get Zoe to actually fight with the old man a bit. I'm not sure what I'm looking more forward to, playing Super Street Fighter Turbo again or Alpha 3, I am such a huge Alpha 3 nerd, played the hell out of it on the original PlayStation.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

SF Alpha 3 is amazing.

Cliff_Forster
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2019

I played the shit out of Street Fighter 2 on my SNES.

Cliff_Forster
  • The Street Fighter 30th anniversary collection is incredible. It's a no brainer purchase for 30 bucks. However they emulated the arcade ROM's they did it spot on and have gotten the image to scale fantastic to modern televisions. I'm enjoying it. I've just been on a crazy retro kick. On the Humble Store they have a sale going where you can buy about 60 Sega Genesis games in a bundle for $10. I just picked that up mostly for nostalgia but a few of those titles hold up pretty well. I was just playing a little Golden Axe for giggles.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2019

After @TheRedburn got a copy of Train Valley as well, we both started trying to one-up each other. He would 100% a country and then I would have to. I would get a high dollar score on an end map and then he would have to. So on and so forth. The circle of life. End result is that we've both 100% completed the game and gotten the "Chancellor" achievement (all 75 stamps). I'm working on Train Valley 2 and I didn't like it as much at first but now I love it. It's way more complex and rewarding.

BobbyDigi
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Oldest and I started in on Apex Legends yesterday.

It's a lot of fun. Takes a lot of elements from Fortnite, Overwatch, and classic deathmatch games. I'm utter trash at it so far, but I'm enjoying it.

I never played Fortnite, so the panic of "There's a squad incoming and we're taking heavy fire and I haven't found even a pistol yet" is new and exciting.

• @AlexDeGruven said:
    Oldest and I started in on Apex Legends yesterday.

It's a lot of fun. Takes a lot of elements from Fortnite, Overwatch, and classic deathmatch games. I'm utter trash at it so far, but I'm enjoying it.

I never played Fortnite, so the panic of "There's a squad incoming and we're taking heavy fire and I haven't found even a pistol yet" is new and exciting.

I'm going to have to try it again, I played a match and for me it was a little slow for my twitch action based tastes. I have absolutely loved Respawn's Titanfall titles so I'm going to dive in and see if I can give it a fair chance before deciding that I'm really not a battle royal guy.

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

Apex Legends has been pretty fun. I'm not generally a fan of battle royales, but the squad aspect makes it much more fun.

Yeah, the Squad v Squads aspect is cool. Encourages cooperation.

It also looks fantastic. As much as I enjoy the cartoony look of Fortnite, I prefer something like Borderlands for that.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

(PUBG and Fortnite also do squads of 4 each)

They have squad modes, yes. Apex is 3-man squads by default.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Apex is neat. It has a lot of cool mechanics and features. I particularly like the focus on teamwork (the class system, and the communication system are particularly interesting) but the learning curve is just too steep. I tried to get into it, but there is no real entry point. Every encounter with an enemy is over before I know what's going on, and that's sometimes after ten to fifteen minutes of building up my gear. The game needs a better matchmaking system to try to put people into matches with similarly skilled players, like Overwatch--though I know the logistics of that would be much more difficult with a 60 person match--as it is, it's just impossible for a person who is new to Royale games to even learn, much less feel like they are advancing. I've played for a total of about 6 hours now, and I have one kill. I feel like as new as the game is, I shouldn't be SO far behind, but I guess they are transferring skills over from other Royale games.

Or maybe I'm just too old to play against all these kids who have better reflexes and more freetime.

(ALTHOUGH: It might also be something to do with my location, very far from the game servers. There are several times when I know for certain that my hits were not being correctly counted due to lag with the server (like one time when I managed to sneak up on a guy and literally fire a shotgun into his back four times before he reacted, and then I was dead and he was looting my stuff, and the match summary told me I did zero damage that round) so, my frustration with the skill level of the game may be at least partly a technical issue.)

GHoosdumCliff_Forster
  • @CB I'm finding Apex to be a similar experience. I know I can play a shooter, I'm a pretty decent Overwatch player. I just think I have difficulty with the slow burn of these types of games. The longer a match drags out the more my attention span drifts and next thing I know I'm a dead duck. Retro games have been a slight obsession for me lately, I'm really into just pressing start and going at it. Games that take time to develop, I'm finding it more difficult to immerse myself in those experiences. Is it adulthood, am I just less capable of adapting to new concepts, are my tastes changing, am I just old crusty and boring... I don't know, I am just at a point where I would rather munch some blue ghosts or toss a hadoken. I think too much during the day to have to when I game I guess?