Avengers Endgame SPOILERS discussion

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I think the snap is basically a representation of "any motion that signifies the culmination of intent". Like with a light switch. The potential for light is there all along, you just have to make the definite motion. All the intent in the world is pointless until you reach out and flick it. A deal isn't sealed until you shake hands, or sign the paper, or click the button, etc.

"The snap" could have been "a clap", "a slap", or even "that thing where you fold your hands and make your middle fingers fiddle in the air and it looks weird". The motion itself is irrelevant, but it's the significance of "this is what I want and I'm saying I want it now".

The snap became Thanos' thing. It's what he intended to do in the first timeline, so it's what he still intended to do when ripped into the 6-years in the future timeline.

Professor Hulk doing it was just because that's what they always talked about.

Tony doing it was kind of a royal middle finger to Thanos' intent.

At least, that's how I see it. This came up in discussion with my oldest after seeing the movie.

Tushon
  • I differentiate my expectations for hard science fiction vs. fantasy. The MCU is clearly a work of fantasy and thus, I don’t really expect it to make perfect sense. Like you all I spent some time thinking about the paradox, branching timelines, alternate realities, and tried to piece it together in my head. The truth is, it doesn’t matter. Your brains to too big for your own good.

If Spider-Mans webs are so sticky how can he let go to swing to the next? If Tie Fighters are in the vacuum of space how do they make that neat sound as they fly? Even traveling at the speed of light you could not navigate the entirety of a vast galaxy in a lifetime... Fantasy my friends. The MCU is in no way meant to be a thought provoking piece of science fiction.

Tushon
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

I forced myself to ignore the time stuff. They poked fun at it themselves.

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

Actually the time travel makes more sense than in a lot of movies short of Primer, when you really think it through. Because there's no time travel.

Nothing they do affects the past, or changes the present, merely changes things in other timelines.

The only reason the stones had to be returned was because not doing so would be catastrophic to those timelines and that would be a dick move. Removing Thanos and his ships and Nebula and Gamora from a timeline is something that already happened in those timelines but is not catastrophic to them the same way missing infinity stones is.

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

Saw it for a second time today, I have a problem with how they probably went about putting the stones back, since not all of them were in "stone form" when they found them. Hell the reality stone wasn't even stone when it was in Jane. The returning of the stones part of the time heist and Cap staying in the past part of the time travel bit sorta took me out of the movie at the end. They didn't need to show them returning the stones imo, it just... ruined what was already okay time traveling.

Apart from that, I liked that Bucky knew Cap wasn't coming back to then, sure its sorta shitty that he doesn't get to live his life out in a time he knew/was from, but he's got a new friend in the current time. That whole part of the ending means that the Disney+ show is gonna be Captain America and the Winter Soldier and not Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which is cool.

I will say, what I enjoyed the most about Endgame was that, apart from Ant-Man, Nebula, and Rocket, the movie was just the original group; Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Nat, Clint, Hulk, and War Machine, until you got to the end you didn't have a bunch of other people involved, it was just their ending movie (except Thor, we'll see him in GotGvol3).

He did it all for Peter and his insta-kill.

This is worth a watch again after.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I'm interested in how they'll cover the fact that half the world is back after five years, if they mention it at all. I mean for adults it's less of a big deal, but for people like Peter Parker, he just goes back to school with half his class while the other half has already graduated. Not to mention how the Earth reacts to suddenly having more people again after 5 years of less. For all the emotional impact of losing half the population, Thanos was right on the effect his snap would have on the planet

GnomeQueen

I think that's going to be a thing they at least talk about in Far From Home. You could see there was some definite emotional impact when Peter got back to school.

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

Welp, I had a shower thought, how did Cap return the soul stone without some Cap/Red Skull battle or awkwardness? Like... what the hell, and how did he return it? Did he just hand it to Red Skull? I really need to stop thinking about them returning the stones because it just creats more problems.

I'm usually of the "if it's important to know, they'll show it" mind.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I'm curious to see how the snap / five years / return affects the MCU TV shows

GnomeQueen

OH MY GAWD

AlexDeGruvenSoda

@DontCallMeKelso said:
    Welp, I had a shower thought, how did Cap return the soul stone without some Cap/Red Skull battle or awkwardness? Like... what the hell, and how did he return it? Did he just hand it to Red Skull? I really need to stop thinking about them returning the stones because it just creats more problems.

I really hope the Black Widow movie is about Cap beating Red Skull until he takes the stone back and Widow is returned.

UPSLynx
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

@Linc said:

@Canti said:
    His willingness to give up the time stone in exchange for letting Tony live suggests Iron Man will be the key to winning.

Tony is the king to be saved, but Strange is the chess master running the end game.

Strange opens the portals to bring everyone into the final battle.

We weren't wrong.

Linc
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Been thinking about the time travel stuff a bit and just came across this interesting interview Joe Russo did in China:

Q: Did Captain America's action at the end affect the timeline? Does that mean there was a time where two CA existed in a same universe?

>

A: To me, CA's action in the end wasn't the fact he wanted to change anything, it's more like me has made a choice. He chose to go back to past and lived with the one he loved for the rest of his life. The time travel in this movie created an alternate reality. He lived a completely different life in that world. We don't know how exactly his life turned out, but I'd like to believe he still helped many others when they were needed in that world. Yes, there were two CA in that reality, it's just like what Hulk said, what happened in the past has already happened. If you go back to past, you simply created a new reality. The characters in this movie created new timeline when they went back to the past, but it had no effect to the prime universe. What happened in the past 22 movies was still canon.

From the sounds of this answer, he's seeming to imply that Captain didn't just live up to the "prime" timeline as an old man and show up at that bench in real time, but rather he grew old in an alternate universe where he lives a full life with Peggy, and then maybe zaps back to the Prime timeline? Which would make more sense, but I don't see how that could have been possible without us seeing him zap back on the machine thing. Maybe there's another one that he could operate?

Also here's a fan-drawn alt-reality timeline that's ever-just-so annoyingly small.

Without getting pedantic about fictional time travel science, all I know is that Captain America traveling through time to return stones to their rightful place, wielding Mjolnir, and presumably having a massive adventure, is a movie I'd watch the fuck out of.

GnomeQueenRyanMM

Maaaaaaaaybe, the clanging at the end of the credits was Mjolnir getting reforged

Naw, it was the sound of Tony Stark banging on the first Iron Man suit in the cave, an audio homage to tie it all together.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

So if 5 hours inside the quantum realm is equal to 5 years outside it and the first Wasp spent like 25 years there it explains how she could survive there that long. But she aged just like everyone else? PLOT HOLES LOL.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Canti said:
    So if 5 hours inside the quantum realm is equal to 5 years outside it and the first Wasp spent like 25 years there it explains how she could survive there that long. But she aged just like everyone else? PLOT HOLES LOL.

meaningless pedant-ism increases

Canti

@primesuspect said:
    Naw, it was the sound of Tony Stark banging on the first Iron Man suit in the cave, an audio homage to tie it all together.

Really? That's kind of cool if that's the case.

edited May 2019

@AlexDeGruven said:

@primesuspect said:

Really? That's kind of cool if that's the case.

That's what I've read from various sources, e.g. https://www.mpaa.org/2019/04/the-mysterious-sound-in-the-avengers-endgame-credits-revealed/

The clanging at the end of the Endgame reminds us of the fairly humble beginnings of the MCU. Tony went into that cave a morally vacuous jerk and came out of the cave as Iron Man. Then in Endgame, he became a savior. Watching Tony sacrifice himself to dust Thanos and save the planet—and do so after telling Thanos “I am Iron Man,” another call back to the first film, was somber catharsis on a grand scale. The hammering we hear at the end of Endgame is the sound of both a beginning and an end. It’s a fitting tribute to the man who brought the MCU to life, and whose death brings it into a new phase.

AlexDeGruven

Apparently Howard the Duck is in that final battle. I didn't spot him but someone took a picture of the scene, right there near Wasp when all the portals open. https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/biudm6/spoiler_one_of_my_favourite_scenes/

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Fun collection of tiny things you may or may not have noticed:

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Pretty much everyone's said everything already - it was a fantastic movie that didn't feel like 3 hours at all.

Final battle was really something else, enjoyed the callback to a previous Avengers where they have the comic book side profile shot of everyone running in together.

Wish they had more Thanos ass kicking, though - when Wanda started warming up I got really amped and said "kick. his. fucking. ass." to myself in the theater.

Can someone confirm Thor's beard braided when he's dual wielding the hammers? Rebecca noticed what has to be like the most minor of details in the whole 3 hours and I find it hilarious.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

NVM

Yes, I lol'd at Thor's beard braiding itself with lightning magic

GnomeQueen

@Canti said:

Nope, not a plot hole. You COULD go into the Quantum realm for 5 minutes and come out 5 years later - but it depends on WHERE you exited. Lang went into the Quantum Realm with the help of the Quantum Tunnel that Pym built. Janet didn't have one of those, so her entrance to the quantum realm wasn't controlled and without the benefit of understanding the true nature of the Quantum realm, Pym and Lang couldn't "find" the Janet who had only been there for 5 minutes.

noprize

primesuspect
  • @Canti said:

Michelle Pfeiffer does not age man. Not in the Quantum Realm or in reality.

UPSLynx

Alright did Hemsworth get fat or was it a fatsuit? I really want it to have been he let himself go just for the role after having been so fit all of these years as Thor.

It was kind of a bad fat suit

SodaRyanFodderGnomeQueen