Icrontic Expo 2019 Beer Tasting Prime - Arrrrrg, Matey! Rum Barrel Aged Beer edition

RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
edited May 2019 in Events

In keeping with the tiki theme of this year's Expo, we will be featuring a tasting of rum-barrel aged beers! Because of this, we'll be able to feature a variety of styles - the obvious ones being stouts, barleywines, and strong ales, but there will be some wonderful surprises for variety's sake too, including IPAs and sours! There'll be something for everyone here, and the caliber of beers we'll be trying should be top-shelf.

This will be a blind tasting but not a side-by-side - we'll enjoy the beers one at a time in a nice progression along the flavor spectrum. We'll sample between 8-10 different beers during this event with approximately 1.8-2oz pours of each.

We will be preparing a small assortment of enjoyable light snacks to complement the unique flavors of these beers.

This tasting will be $45 per person and the only way to get a seat is to register during EPIC signup, so don't miss out! The maximum size for this tasting is 20 people; if more people sign up than we have seats, you will miss out and may have to try and buy the spot off a fellow attendee if they're willing to sit it out.

This is currently slotted for 8:30pm on Thursday, June 27th.

Okole Maluna!

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

FYI there are only 5 seats left.

RyanMM
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

Holy fark

@UPSLynx said:
    lol this made me not wait till the last minute to get a ticket. In.

@linc has been telling me i could drive tickets sales for years if I planned ahead and finally I showed that it can happen ;D

bellsGHoosdum
  • bellsbells Gaming? I'm in! Ypsilanti, MI Member

:D wooohooo sours!

I just wanna say I'm really excited for this theme. The last time the tasting had a good focus while not being dependent on a primary style categorization (like stout, IPA, flanders red, etc) was the Raspberry beer tasting about 4-5 years ago. Isolating to a flavor characteristic or ingredient rather than a style definitely allows for a bit more exploration and might result in a less consistent experience for the people who love certain styles but a better experience for the people who don't.

I could literally build an entire tasting around "Rum Barrel aged Coconut Porter." I shit you not, I'm having to beat those off with a baseball bat. As is I'm struggling to narrow those down to a single fantastic choice that represents the idea effectively.

Same with pineapple coconut - I could literally have 10 brews that are rum barrel aged with pineapple and coconut and cover the style spectrum but that might just be a weeeeeee bit too narrow of a focus.

That's what's gonna be fun about this tasting - the rum barrel is a focus that allows enough variation otherwise that hopefully every beer will shine in its own right to the folks that like that style of beer and maybe turn some heads of folks who wouldn't normally try it.

At this point, I don't know if I am gonna have any two styles represented twice. Imperial stout? Sure. Imperial IPA? Yup. Golden Sour? Uh huh. Mead? Maybe! Barleywine? Do you know who I am??? I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR

GargMassalinie
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

@RyanMM said:
    At this point, I don't know if I am gonna have any two styles represented twice. Imperial stout? Sure. Imperial IPA? Yup. Golden Sour? Uh huh. Mead? Maybe! Barleywine? Do you know who I am??? I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR

This is the most Ryan Meray post ever made on Icrontic and I am hype.

RyanMM
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

@RyanMM said:
    Mead? Maybe!

I would like to know the price of coming to this tasting for just one sip of one entry, please

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

@CB said:

@RyanMM said:
    Mead? Maybe!

I would like to know the price of coming to this tasting for just one sip of one entry, please

If there really is mead, pop in and I will gladly share mine with you.

CB
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Same with pineapple coconut - I could literally have 10 brews that are rum barrel aged with pineapple and coconut and cover the style spectrum but that might just be a weeeeeee bit too narrow of a focus.

Disagree completely plz continue am now expecting all pineapple coconut beers kthx

Massalinie
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

That's the beauty of the craft beer market. You could probably find 10 different beers aged in the same distillery's Bourbon barrels and finished in the same vintner's Sherry casks, with wide variations on styles across the board.

That being said. I think I'm going to give this one a miss (I still haven't bought a ticket, but whatever). I'm very solidly in the BBA camp and rum doesn't lend itself well to my palate.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@RyanMM said:
    I shit you not, I'm having to beat those off

RyanMMMassalinieMAGIC

@CB said:

@RyanMM said:
    Mead? Maybe!

I'll have a pour for you gratis. ;)

CB
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

@CB said:

@RyanMM said:
    Mead? Maybe!

You can sit in my lap, I'm a good sharer.

CBRyanMM
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

By my count, we have 1 potential seat left if anyone deeply regrets their decision to not participate.

Holy sugarcane, Batman, this is just 3 days away! The lineup of beer is ready, are you?

We're gonna be getting down on the following (all of them aged in rum barrels!):
    A golden sour with 2 kinds of fruit
    An imperial sour with 3 kinds of fruit (only 32 cases made, holy smokes!)
    An imperial oatmeal stout
    A spiced melomel
    A very strong quadrupel
    An imperial porter with coconut
    An IPA
    A barleywine
    A really strong ale

That's right, we've got 9 (hopefully) amazing beers on deck for this one.

Also, we'll have some fun food to pair up, drawing inspiration from a variety of cuisines that inspired Tiki fare to begin with. If anyone is vegetarian/vegan or has any food allergies, please let me know.

MassalinieGarg
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2019

I think @MAGIC is allergic to fish ice cream.

I don't eat pig but I usually just share those bites with others.

This tasting sounds like it's going to have a great selection. Thanks as always for putting it together.

RyanMM
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

I'm hype.

Just a reminder folks, we do have 1 open seat currently. If anyone would like to join now, please get at me asap.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2019

@GHoosdum said:
    I think @MAGIC is allergic to fish ice cream.

lies. My current diet is roughly 90% fish ice cream so please take that into consideration.

RyanMMGHoosdumMassalinie