Anything New in Home Wired Internet?

AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and HubrisAlexandria, VA Icrontian

We've been in our house about a year now, and it's time to wire the beast. Is there anything new in wired networking, or is it still the old stuff from years back?

Linc[Deleted User]

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Use CAT6, buy a Gigabit switch. Other than that, I don't think so.

[Deleted User]
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I'm running Ubiquiti infrastructure and highly recommend it for your gateway, switch, and access point needs.

Tushon
  • sazboomsazboom White Lake MI Icrontian

I just put in Ubiquity in our new house two weeks ago. Amazing how far prosumer grade equipment has come.

• sazboomsazboom White Lake MI Icrontian

Here is a link to our setup.

5 Unifi AP Lite
    1 Ubiquiti 16 PoE Switch
    1 Unifi Security Gateway
    1 Netgear Cable Modem
    Punchdown panel
    Rack power strip

Linc
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Also on the Unifi train. I have a USG-3P, 2x Unifi AC AP Pros and a cloud key. The USG is good for gigabit ISP speeds as well.

• BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian

Unifi here as well. Wired my house when I built 6 years ago. Just finished the second round of wiring as I've been finishing the basement. Really happy with the USG, Access Points (using POE switch) and even the Unifi cameras. Also, if you have the space, I recommend a two post open frame rack. I hung one from the ceiling in the basement and it's beautiful.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2019

USG, 16-port PoE switch, DSL modem, and Raspberry Pi stuffed into a 42" Leviton panel. I have a small (1300 sq ft single-story) house that's served just fine by a single UniFi AP AC Lite.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QAoJNKo3Ev6jdbj6A

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I was going to get ambitious and wire up my house, but then got lazy and ordered a wifi repeater and called it a day.

BLuKnight
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@CrazyJoe said:
    I was going to get ambitious and wire up my house, but then got lazy and ordered a wifi repeater and called it a day.

Great contribution, Joe 😂

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Thanks! I try. I even made a very similar thread. The problem I had was that my attic space was too tightly confined to get my fatass to craw around up there to wire up my house. Plus two access panels to my attic are in closets that would require removing the shelves in those closets to get to, so that doesn't help.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I had a vendor come in for a presentation for something completely unrelated to home networking. He mentioned that he had found a fire-sale and picked up enough Infiniband equipment to wire his entire basement.

DontCallMeKelso