Multi-booting Ubuntu 18.04-3 LTS with macOS Mojave.

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian

I need to have Linux to run Inkscape, and have a suscription to CorelDraw Graphic Suite running on the macOS side. I learned how to install rEFind as a multibooter host, but every time I update either Ubuntu or macOS, the install crashes and I am left with pushing Option at boot until I get a boot choice. Clumsy result, does anyone have a better way to do that?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

ok, root directory of computer HD.

sudo refind-mkdefault

gives refind the command to boot first, in first order.

Had to hunt through many pages of docs, whew.

primesuspect
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I'm not sure about what all MacOS X does. On my old dual boot Windows 10/Gentoo installation, I have a copy of GRUB as the default boot image on my EFI partition and configured GRUB to chainload Windows or load an initrd ramdisk image to boot Gentoo. I have a mkinitramfs config which is configured to generate an entry for the Windows chainload every time it generates a new initrd image (i.e. every time I update the kernel) and Windows seldom updates its loader so it typically works without further effort. Setting that up was not trivial; I recommend reading Arch Linux's documentation for initrd scripts since most distros use it.

Not gonna lie, I ended up nuking Windows eventually and moving the whole machine over to Debian for ease of maintenance. Have you considered trying to run CorelDraw natively on Linux using some sort of emulation? I had really good success with using mono for .NET apps and wine for everything else; no idea what the equivalent MacOS X compatibility libs might be.

edited August 2019

Corel now publishes a MacOS natively supported application versioesn of Corel Graphics Suite. It costs the same as Windows Pro does, per year. MacOS Mojave is free for Mac machines.. Economical decision.

Booting:Windows 10 and macOS use EFI and/UEFI. no Grub will work. Grub cannot boot to a non-BIOS machine.

rEFind also is capable capable of booting to Win 10-- I plan to muktiboot 3 ways when I can afford a 2 Tera SSD.

That is no longer true; GRUB has had EFI support for the past several years.

Thank you . but that leaves UEFI support,which macOS Mojave uses, to the best of my knowledge.

EFI is the partition label and UEFI is the preboot environment. I'm being imprecise and using them interchangeably but what I'm attempting to convey is that GRUB is able to do whatever you need. Here's a MacOS/Ubuntu dual boot example: https://askubuntu.com/questions/765254/add-grub-menu-for-os-x

You don't have to use GRUB if you don't want to; chameleon and refind are totally adequate.

What I want is a three-way boot, Windows 10 or MacOS or or Linux. I plan to multiboot the machine I will be building, and want to practice on the laptop I have.

I am a clumsy typist and console user, so I want something that builds its own script set and offers a graphical environment. refind does this. refind even wrote 2 boots each for macOS and Linux-- one for each is to have both monitors work by having both video processors working and the other for each will use only one video processor; the CPU-embedded one.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

Out of curiosity why not use a virtual machine for the different boots (windows especially)? Virtualization has progressed to a point where you won't see a huge a performance decrease between running something natively or virtualized.

edited September 2019

Well, that would leave 256 or less GB for windows. I did multiboot and use a virtual machine, and Corel Draw gens virtual files of 25-30 GB size a high res and tight curves. I am doing this on a laptop 500 GB HD.I will need about 2 TB once I get a lot of graphics.(text graphics of vector graphic text type)

edited September 2019

VM imposes RAM and HD storage space burdens, and cost burdens to do the job right. I can, by using the way I plan to work, save 4-500.00. That will instead get spent on hardware.

When I get the new machine fleshed out, I will put Windows Pro on it along with Kubuntu. I might put a 4 TB external SSD on it.

I now have Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and macOS on the laptop.

drasnor

one more question why both Ubuntu and Kubuntu? Do you have separate boots or using the same Ubuntu install with different DEs?

seperate boots out of one boot manager, I am comparing them to see if I like KDE or Gnome better.

I think I will go with Ubuntu, non-stable. And run ClamTk, which is available for Ubuntu but has to be installed separately.

You could just use the same install and have separate Desktop environments then on login choose which one you want to use. In case there is one you prefer for a different work flow.

AlexDeGruvendrasnor

Well, I am happy with what I have.

• tarrbottarrbot Detroit Burbs

Have you considered ubuntustudio if you're A/V heavy?

Back in the day before I used a Macbook and used VMs for my environments, I used ubuntustudio for some A/V stuff rather than pay the hardware premium of apple.

ubuntustudio has a lot of pre-baked A/V tools already and it's... ubuntu.

https://ubuntustudio.org/tour/

Thanks, but I am not into audio. I use Inkspace in Ubuntu and sometimes CorelDraw in Mac.

• tarrbottarrbot Detroit Burbs

Sorry about that. I sometimes use A/V interchangeably with "multimedia".

ubuntustudio is heavy on multimedia, including graphics, video and other nifty features.

https://ubuntustudio.org/tour/graphics/

Ok, might put it on a thumb-drive and give it a whirl.

I tried it, but I needed to redo too many drivers-- only had to update to Ubuntu 19.10 for a nice zippy machine with more recent AMD drivers in kernel. I sold the laptop, it will not run fast without overheating when I try to run Ubuntu on it.