Trying to reason with hurricane season: 2019 edition

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Tropical Storm Humberto is forming now.

edited September 2019

Counting Humberto, there are now five disturbances being watched. One is out of the picture here and is near Africa.

Looks like Humbertu will miss the southeast coast of the US if the current forecast holds.

Humberto, according to forecast, will be closest to Jacksonville as it goes by Florida, if the track holds true.

Weather Channel:

• Tropical Storm Humberto will track well off the Southeast U.S. coast.
    • High surf and rip currents are expected along the Southeast coast.
    • Humberto will pass near Bermuda as a hurricane later this week.

Texas near Freeport, expect a Tropical Storm .

Imelda came in to land near Freeport, and covered Galveston as it came in. Galveston and Houston will get possible flooding.

Weather.com has started using longer URLs, which I cannot select.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

It's okay, we all have access to weather.com and weather apps on our phones. Since we're all friends here it would be more interesting to share any personal experiences or preparation or anecdotes instead of just posting URLs to a weather site anyway :)

AlexDeGruven

The last hurricane I went through was Irma. My laptop keyboard is failing, so I will lurk.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Sorry to hear about your keyboard. On the bright side: new computer soon, hopefully? :D

laptop gone, new computer hopefully in a few days work.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2019

I am currently in Houston, Tx and the sky just let loose. Next my phone exploded with alerts.

Yes, Imelda.

I hope there is no-one on Icrontic that is in Baja California right now.

There have been almost 1,000 water rescues, due to Imelda. Note that Imelda is no longer a hurricane.

edited September 2019

Tropical Storm Karen is centered near the Windward Islands in the eastern Caribbean.

Tropical storm warnings and watches are in effect.

Karen will bring heavy rain to the Windward Islands, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands this week.

It's too early to know if Karen will impact the mainland United States or any other land areas.

@BlackHawk, if you are in Puerto Rico, you might want to head for high ground.

Tropical Storm Lorenzo has formed, near Africa.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Lorenzo, now a hurricane, doesn't look to be a threat. The forecast show it heading north in the Atlantic.

edited September 2019

True. Karen is what I am watching.

Karen is spinning, and even experienced forecasters say it is too early to tell if she will hit the US.

Karen is weakening, and spinning. Probably it will not hit US.

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

Nestor is about to form in the Gulf and head my way, fun times for my bday week.

Yep, figured you might get that before me.

Wonderful, we are going to take a direct strike here in Tallahassee. The latest storm track is out and even though the "center" of the storm will go west of us, the wind field extends almost 175 miles out, mainly to the northeast and east. It shouldn't be too bad, only 45 mph or so, probably less, but 4 years in a row now we have been hit and I can't remember the last time the Forgotten Coast and Big Bend regions took so many strikes in such a short span of time.

Yay birthday weekend. Woooooooooooo :(

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Stay safe! It's going to be a rainy weekend down here in Orlando.

Newest forecast is out, has shifted east, has cape san blas dead center with most wind and rain to the east (where I am), also much stronger than predicted, may now hit hurricane strength right before landfall

primesuspect

Raining and blustery here in the TLH at 0230 EDT, but no sustained winds. It is very calm for the most part. All of my broken bones and surgically repaired joints are killing me with the low pressure approaching; my right knee (two reconstructive surgeries) is refusing to work and aches to the point that I cannot sleep. Fuck you, low pressure system.

We are still on a path of a direct strike from this really weird hybrid tropical system; it is 61F here, but absolutely suffocating tropical humidity.

My main worry is our electrical grid: it was 95% destroyed by Hermine in 2016 and run over again in 2017 (Irma) and 2018 (Michael, the strongest storm to ever strike the Florida Gulf Coast).

As I am making this post, the wind gusts have kicked up to the 30-40 mph range amd I can hear transformers popping south of me. Sirens everywhere as well as emergency services are activated.

Signing off for the night with a bottle of Crown, because, fuck it.

Ps. I have fireworks to shoot at the storm because, well, fuck you. Also, this is so damn normal that I am expected to drive 5 miles in 40 mph winds tomorrow morning to go to work at 8am, yay Florida!

GargStraight_ManprimesuspectMt_Goatcola