Intermittent hang at "loading operating system" screen- Win 10

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian

I have a Windows 10 machine that POSTS just fine but after this last round of Windows updates, I get an intermittent hang after POST at the "loading operating system" screen. If I do a hard reset, it often loads Windows just fine. I am at a loss as to what to try and could use some help. PC specs:

Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3 motherboard

Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge2nd Gen cpu

SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series MZ-76E500B/AM 500 GB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

8 GB (2x4) Kingston HyperX DDR3 16

Appreciate any help to get this resolved, Thanks!

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Look for updated hardware drivers on the web-- I have experienced this general sort of issue before, and about 1/2 the time driver updating fixed it.

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian

Thanks but no official driver updates beyond what I have installed from Gigabyte. There are the usual internet links to bogus drivers, in other words, "download our software and we will find you a driver.........................or some malware just for you!" LOL.

Ok, is your machine overclocked? Drivers are designed for certain timing sets with other drivers.

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian

No overclocking. This is a basic gamer and websurfer.

OK, I would run a malware checker on it. Beyond that, do not know what to suggest.

I don't want to jinx myself but I think I have found the problem and the Windows update was just a coincidence. I began disconnecting any SATA based drives other than the SSD and testing bootups. After disconnecting a SATA add-in card (card reader/esata combo drive), I have not had any more boot problems. I will have to go with it for a while because the issue has been intermittent but it looks like its okay now. Thx!

Straight_Man

OK, very cool. Looks like you got it.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Nice find. To that end, checking out driver (may include firmware for that end device) and BIOS updates, and then ensuring it is not in boot order, may be helpful in allowing it to be plugged back in.

I thought he said he updated BIOS, but updating firmware is a good last try.

Gigabyte support says some things about USB Ports that might help some. It is talking about SD card readers, but I do not know if what you are using is an nVMe socket or not, nor whether the connection is to USB. https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/FAQ/3926

BIOS F7 updates USB 3.0 compatabilitys . That is the USB branch that you might need to fix.

edited November 2019

Thanks for the replies! Yes, the BIOS is updated to the latest version. No, the SSD is not on nVMe. That socket didn't exist at the time of this motherboard. The SSD is on a SATA 3 branch and so is the card reader/esata combo drive. Since I disconnected the card reader/esata combo drive, the pc has not missed a lick so its golden as far as I am concerned. However, this won't be the first time I've been burned by add-on cards like this one. You'd think I'd learn but I like the convenience of such toys........when they work.

Straight_Man[Deleted User]