Thoughts on building a solid VR rig

pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian

So, the family got some time on a Valve Index and basically fell in love with it, so it's time to build a new rig.

Here's my parameters:

1. Enough oomph to run 120/144hz VR games and hopefully handle most new titles for a while

2. Budget - around 2k, but flexible

3. Ideally can run double-duty as our PLEX server so we can decom an old box

4. Not obnoxious in visual or sound (will sit in a living room area)

Here's where I'm at currently for a build to meet this criteria: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FzK4Nq

I feel pretty good about the CPU, GPU, SSD, and case. Mobo, RAM, and PSU seem like things others here might have feels on. What do y'all think?

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I would double check if that PSU runs silent unless it's really being taxed. Might be worth going a tad bigger with the PSU just to keep things silent, but based on your hardware, you might already be in the sweet spot.

• pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Thanks Sono! I'll do some research in that direction.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

How loud is that GPU gonna be?

Good question! I know there are 3 fan designs out there as well, anyone know if one arrangement is commonly quieter than the otherel?

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2020

A liquid-bearing fan will be quietest usually. See if you can email support or contact them in chat sessions and see if the fans on heat spreader on that GPU. as to cooling the case and CPU, get silent fans if you can. As to CPU, do you want to have one thing going on while someone is playing a VR game???? if yes, consider a Ryzen 9 3950X. It has 16 cores and from considering most vendors running out quickly it may be hard to find. But I did some calling and chatting and for a VR box which is a Server also, the 3950X is very highly recommended.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Thrax would probably recommend the Asus Crosshair Hero VIII over every other motherboard as well.

Hero viii looks good to me, swapping it in :)

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2020

Arctic makes liquid bearing fans that are very quiet. So does Nochtua

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

Not sure if you've bought everything yet but here's my 2 cents...

1) I would probably go full tower over mid-tower. Easier management and better airflow is always nice

2) 750w PSU might be cutting it close especially if you want it to last beyond this build. 1000w would give more wiggle room and OC potential

3) I have the pro version of that motherboard. It's nice and recommended but required quite a bit of BIOS updates to become great

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Get BLS2K16G4D32AESE or its white/black equivalent (last 3 digits change). Best 3200 RAM on the market at a killer price. Even better: consider Gskill Neo 3600C15.

I would personally look into other AIOs with newer designs. Corsair not the best.

+1 for Crosshair VIII. Worth the cash for performance and stability.