!SPOILERS DISCUSSION THREAD! Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Comments

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

WINCEST

Okay, so, if Palpatine is the genetic father of Anakin, then Ben Solo is Rey's first cousin once removed. If Palpatine just manipulated the midiclorians to form space jizz to make Anakin instead of using his own genetics, then Ben Solo is just the creepy faux/step first cousin once removed of Rey.

• Oh you have a beautiful yet twisted mind. I love Icrontic.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

At least Merry was there to help them get the ring to Palpatine.

Canti
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

But seriously I like it. There was nothing that overtly pissed me off or anything and there was a lot that I enjoyed.

What did Finn need to tell Rey?

@Winfrey that he's force sensitive

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

His safe word.

CantiRyanMMAlexDeGruven
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

"Well...I didn't hate it." Was my first thought when the credits started. I didn't think this was going to be a ground breaking film and got pretty much what I was expecting. I'm neither disappointed or blown away by ROS, it's just fine.

Likes: [s] big [/s] biggest dumb space battle, Lando "mothafuckin" Calrissian, laser sword fights, Palpatine's "DO IT", Chewy getting more attention, Kylo/Ben FINALLY accepting that he's not on the Dark side, a pretty decent level of closure for episodes 7-9

I started to list dislikes in the same format as likes but I think they're closer to questions and are more open to discussion so here we go.

1. Palpatine is somehow still alive...ish, ok fine. But how has he managed to build a fleet of like a million star destroyers on the most isolated/uncharted planet in the galaxy AND have the people to staff them with no one knowing until just now? I'm fine with just passing that off as suspension of disbelief if I must but it's a stretch.
    2. I was expecting Lando to be the first order spy. I was honestly surprised when Hux admitted it was him and equally confused by his "I don't care if you win. I need Kylo to lose". That never went anywhere. But why Hux? What is your goal here? The last 2 movies made his character seem (to me at least) to be loyal to the first order to the point of sacrificing himself to further their cause if necessary. It felt more like a plot device to get Finn, Poe, and Chewy off the ship at the expense of an important but overall disposable character.
    3. Meaningless losses. For the record I do actually have problems with these things. Force fight between Rey and Kylo that leads to the destruction of a ship they (and the audience) believe Chewbacca is on. Nope, jebaited, Chewy was on another ship and is okay. We have to completly wipe C3P0's memory to get the coordinates of the Sith planet. C3P0, "I'm taking one last look sir, at my friends." "Tears" OH WAIT NEVERMIND, R2D2 just had to plug his memory dick back into Threepios brain and it's almost like it never happened.

Side-note: the pacing feels a little weird to me. The first 40ish minutes seem rushed and so jumpy going from one thing to another every few minutes but the last 20-30 minutes or so seemed to drag on to the point where I kinda wished it would just wrap up and be done a few times.

Overall I enjoyed it. It's not the best movie of all time and maybe not even the best Star Wars movie but it is a pretty well done conclusion to a 4 decades long saga."

At least until episode 10 kicks off in 10-15 years. 😆

WinfreyRyanMM
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I liked it.

I need to see it again because I remember thinking multiple times in the first few scenes "welp they put that to bed" but I don't remember specifically what.

Han calling Kylo "Kid" resignated with me. Most of you know part of why. Personal reasons made it hit me pretty hard.

Right now I don't understand why they killed off Kylo. I loved seeing him smile though. He was going through as much of a struggle holding off the light as Rey was the dark. I felt the weight lifted with the smile.

Chewy medal yeah!

-Digi

LincUPSLynx
    edited December 2019

Oh yeah... And openings for future movies

Finn feels the Force.

Lando "Where are you from?" "Well let's find out"

It seems no one ever really dies.

-Digi

@BobbyDigi I don't think they wanted to deal with what to do with Ben Solo the war criminal

LincRyanFodderUPSLynxTushon
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2019

KYLO'S SCAR, Y U DISAPPEAR???

Disney: Please Knights of the Old Republic movie next.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

The scar disappearing was a concrete, no-doubt symbol that he had turned to the light side

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

I know, but it struck me as kind of funny.

• When did it happen? I didn't notice. Did it happen after Rey healed him?

Kwitko
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

It was either after she healed him or after he threw away his lightsaber, yah. On the ruins of the Death Star

• So what we are saying is chicks don't really dig scars?? Keanu Reeves was full of shit in the Replacements!

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Palpatine doesn't know what his plan is.

Palpatine to Kylo, "Kill the girl and I'll give you all these Star Destoryers."

Palpatine to Kylo, "You didn't kill the girl? You have to kill the girl. DEW EET! hehehe"

Palpatine to Rey, "I don't want to kill you. I want you to kill me...I think. I don't quite remember. Can you tell me which aisle the raisins are on?"

RyanMM
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2019

I thought it was fine. Pacing was rushed, but lots of fan service and wrapping up to fit in, I guess.

Maybe they used old footage of Carrie, but it still felt creepy.

I thought Rey and Kylo's fight on the Death Star was weak.

It seemed like there was way too much film grain in some dark, low contrast, low motion shots. Maybe I'm just used to movies shot on digital.

Other stuff was cool. I think I liked Last Jedi more.

I hope future movies never have another planet destroying weapon. It's getting DBZ-levels of out of hand.

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

I saw the movie the other day and absolutely loved it. I went in with no expectations and came away happy. It was Grand and I can't imagine the movie ending any other way.

Linc
    edited January 2020

2nd viewing down. Still got emotional when the Rey blew up the transport even though I knew Chewy wasn't on it.

First sentence of the scrolling message confirmed Palpatine was back.

I don't remember where I saw the conversation about _when_ Ben's scar disappears, you can actually see it fade when Rey heals him after the battle on top of the Death Star. (Edit: I just re-read above, it was y'all.)

I still like the movie. Interested in seeing the stories expand more in the future.

-Digi

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I guess I'm too movie-jaded, but I knew he wasn't on that transport or survived otherwise. They would have made much more of it.

• I think the fundamental issue with this film is that Disney sees Star Wars as a wide multimedia franchise vs. an every so often film event now. They want fans to buy comics, video games, watch streaming series and read novels to put it all together. When Lucas had it, he looked at all the other creators making supplemental content and he was like, okay guys, write anything you want, but these areas are my sandbox, don't interfere there and we are cool, and the novels and comics were supplemental content for the uber fans, and the films stood on their own.

I'm not saying there can't be branches and spin offs when they make some sense but not at the expense of the film. You have this whole crew of defector Storm Troopers introduced, one happens to be Lando's kidnapped daughter, it's like the whole premise was rushed and you didn't really get an opportunity to care about that inside the space of the film. But look, we have spin off material, stuff to sell, intergalactic space horse toys and new action figures...

Think the reveal that Anakin was effectively Palpatine's dark force seed was sort of important to the film narrative? I do. But hey, read the comics and you would have known.

It kind of makes me think of this interview I once saw with Tim Burton. He said that Batman Returns almost didn't get made because Warner Brothers was kind of unsure of how they would market something that dark to children. That one day he sat around a table with executives from McDonald's to re assure them that there would be a way to market some happy meal toys so Warner Bros would pony up and let him make it the way he wanted despite the massive success of the 1989 film.

So for better or worse, a massive publicly traded corporate entity owns the best possible fantasy material on earth. They have done some good with it, I think more Star Wars is a really good thing, but it feels like this film trilogy was not treated as the special event fans deserved it to be.

Let me be honest, the best film since Disney has owned Star Wars has been the Rogue One spin off. That's the best film that Disney has done by a mile even with creepy Peter Cushing CG it's better than anything that came to us in this new trilogy and that's a shame. Not that Rogue One didn't set a high bar, because it did, it's an amazing film, but there should have been a laser focus on how to make this trilogy meet that standard and it just didn't do that for me.

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

To be clear, one of the writers for the comic mentioned their intention with the emperor force seed was not to make it cannon but to make it something he was struggling with in the heat of the moment as an idea.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Got to see it finally. It was a good movie. The only thing I didn't like was the kiss. It felt forced. I was getting a more familial vibe from their connection, like they were twins of the force, or whatever. That scene should have been: Smile in realization, call him Ben one last time, Ben dies and vanishes like a Jedi. End scene. There was no reason for them to kiss. Their relationship was close and confusing, but not romantic, and it didn't need to be. AND now he's gone so like... Where is that gonna go now that they've established a romance, it was gone right away, so it's useless as a plot mechanism.

Everything else was great.

GargGHoosdum
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I definitely would have preferred a tearful hug over the kiss. My one "meh" of the movie.

CB

Or even like a romantically-ambiguous kiss on the cheek or something would have been fine, but this was a full on lover's kiss, and it wasn't what those characters were building up to.

AlexDeGruvenRyanMM
    edited January 2020

I'm so confused as to how their connection could be termed as familial. They've got tons of sexual chemistry--- all of their force Skype sessions have like-- him shirtless, or her dripping wet, or they're trying to hold hands, or they're gritting their teeth while bashing their penis swords at each other. Their chemistry is actually my favorite part of the movies.

primesuspectMiracleManSThrax

I guess that was all lost on me.