The Trip

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited January 2020 in Events

How did I end up on a 3-week roadtrip to the Grand Canyon as the coda to my work sabbatical?

Nicole has been planning this epic journey for more than a year. Her and the boys (Perry & Kyle) were going to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, arriving via every other point of interest between there and Detroit in a giant loop thru the western US, sometimes camping. Sometime in late October, I was offered Kyle’s place on the trip.

I couldn’t point to the Grand Canyon on a map of the US. Like, I’m pretty sure it’s in Arizona? I can only name 4 of 15+ stops on this journey. But I definitely know how to backpack & winter camp, and heaven knows I could use a hard mental reboot and a few weeks with my son.

The car is packed, the GPS is ticking, and we’ve just exited the city. Our spouses are holding down the fort at ICHQ and humoring my broken dog for the next 3 weeks. When I return, I’ll have one more week to rest and then it’s off to Montreal to see what the future of my job holds.

I’ll update as I think of it and have a signal.

RyderJokkeWagsFTWBobbyDigiMassalinieSazbean

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    LincGargMrTRiotStraight_ManRyderBobbyDigiMassalinieSazbean
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

We were driving right thru the Bourbon Trail territory, so I found a small distillery named Neeley Family and we extended our trip by a grand total of 15 minutes to park and let me taste their single barrel bourbon and rye, and purchase the latter.

Spun the nextdoor Kentucky Speedway pokestop and received no gift - brutal dice roll. 😝

Straight_ManBobbyDigi

I can just picture you asking Nicole if you can stop, please please pretty please, with that shitty grin on your face like a little kid and Nicole being like... FINE BUT ONLY 15 MINUTES

ThraxRyderSazbean

| Nicole turned on the frozen windshield wipers and one of them flew off on the first stroke

I usually fly off on the first stroke too

KwitkoRyderRyanMMSazbean
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Um, why are you going to Kentucky before you go to Arizona???

Um, why are you going to Kentucky before you go to Arizona???

You’d have to ask Eisenhower.

I can just picture you asking Nicole if you can stop, please please pretty please, with that shitty grin on your face like a little kid and Nicole being like... FINE BUT ONLY 15 MINUTES

For the record, she coaxed me INTO finding a distillery along the freeway. But the second part (time limit) is accurate because we WERE arriving just in time for the hourly tour...

Ryder

So we roll into Tops BBQ, a Memphis chain, at 30 minutes to close. There’s 2 people working. I look at the menu and ponder aloud that a cheeseburger sounds damn good. “We don’t have any more burgers today.” Oh, that’s fine, not the best pick in a BBQ joint anyway, I was just thinking. A minute passes. “We also don’t have any more ribs today. Or the brisket.”

As I review the menu, I quickly assess they are telling us: pork sandwich , or pork platter. 😂 Fair enough. Anyway, the pork was good!

Massalinie
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

How has your phone not yet figured out how to take pictures right-side-up? It's been years, man!

But for reals. Have a great time. The massive mental reset that a trip like that affords is a great thing.

The upside down photo is actually 2 Vanilla editor glitches: reading the wrong meta on the photo, and also not allowing me to delete it on mobile to try again. Oh well.

AlexDeGruven
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

>Spun the nextdoor Kentucky Speedway pokestop and received no gift - brutal dice roll. 😝

Smalltime trainer much? 15 min stop should be 4 spins.

-Digi

_kMassalinie

The shop wasn’t in range, it was a driveby!

BobbyDigi

More like Bottoms BBQ

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

If only we knew a vanilla developer that could fix those upside down pictures 🤔

• MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian

You could also rotate your phone the other direction when you take photos

primesuspectMrTRiotRyder

I’m not saying it’s aliens but

JokkeMrTRiotRyder
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian

ALIEN DONUTS!?

CBLincWinfrey
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

Across the street and to the left when you leave the UFO museum used to be a local coffee shop. They had a strawberry shortcake coffee that was 100% legit. Best part of the half day I spent there.

Linc
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Get you some New Mexico red and/or green chile while you're there. Smother a burrito with it. Bathe in it if possible. SO GOOD.

_kLincpigflipper

Already done. Got a green chile burger for lunch in Hatch. A+ burger. Dare I say it? I think it bested Five Guys.

Garg

I don't think my thigh could fit through there

AlexDeGruvenMrTRiotWagsFTW
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I concur with Brian, Looks cool though.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Me too, I am about 250 pounds now and fat.

The second leg of Thursday was to Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico for a dip in the hot spring water at a riverside spa.

After that it was off to the campground in Lordsburg for rest.

WagsFTWGnomeQueenSazbeanMassalinie