Kyle is gone

2»

Comments

• CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian

So sorry to hear such tragic news, Kyle will be missed by many people.

the_technocratAlexDeGruven
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

There is a candlelight memorial being organized by Kyle's friends at The Dovetail (previously Tracey's Cafe) in Warren on Saturday at 7pm: https://www.facebook.com/events/664368987384284/

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

FYI if you're going to the war memorial, we're still at the funeral home

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian

I'm sorry I can't be there today. Hugs for everyone.

LincBobbyDigiAlexDeGruvenWinfrey
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

<3

Just... <3

LincBobbyDigiBlackHawkthe_technocratAlexDeGruvenWinfrey

I want to stress that anyone is welcome here to mourn Kyle’s loss tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. This pain will last forever and if you cannot be with is today, we will deeply value your presence whenever it’s possible.

StackSazbeanBobbyDigiGargKwitkoWagsFTWBlackHawkBuddyJRyderthe_technocratDontCallMeKelsoMassalinieAlexDeGruvenWinfrey
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2019

It was nice seeing some old faces in our time of grief. Next time we all meet I hope it's under better circumstances.

BlackHawkRyderGargthe_technocratGHoosdummaliaAlexDeGruvenWinfreyLincSazbeanMt_Goat
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian

I don't follow the boards daily so I did not learn of this horrible news until now. No one can know the depth of your pain so there are no words of comfort anyone can really give. I will ask my Catherine to watch over Kyle until he and your family are reunited.

Gargthe_technocratStraight_ManRyderprimesuspectMassalinieWinfreyStackLincSazbean
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I still don't have much in the way of words. Stopping by last night helped me express my love for this community in the best way I know how.

I love this group more than I could ever properly express in words.

GargLincKwitkoRyanMMWinfreySazbeanMassalinie

The service on Thursday was really great. Thank you to everyone that came to the service, came to the celebration, donated, visited, or reached out. It was standing room only, and that was after they brought every spare chair they could.

I spoke first, and then most of the family took their turns. Ray didn't think he'd be able to speak, but he did, and it was awesome. I think I kept my shit together the least of all of us but I did finally figure out I should turn away from the mic when I sputtered. I was in awe of Tracey and Brian. I ran and hid so many times during the visitation hours, and they just soldiered on, greeting every single person, and then found the words to talk to all of us.

The last couple speakers were close friends of Kyle (Connor and RJ), and they really were amazing. All his friends are so fucking good. Then Perry got up. Perry gave a eulogy that was only a couple minutes, and it was like this grand climax to the whole day. He could've kicked the podium over when he was done and we would've cheered. I was so fucking proud. Like always.

Bookending the eulogies with Perry was infinitely meaningful to me.

The War Memorial was so beautiful. I'd never been there, and it was overwhelming. Panoramic glass windows overlooking the lake, an exceptional buffet, so many friends. And then some of us gathered down on the seawall for the last bit and finished our drinks and more hugs, Perry's circle of friends and a small circle of Icrontians, side by side.

One of Kyle or Perry's friends was seated by himself a ways down the seawall, obviously hurting and unable to join the group for whatever reason. Perry broke away from the group and did his intense stride over to him and hopped on the seawall next to him and sat down. And I just nodded, because he's the prince of fucking Icrontic and of course that's what he would do.

And then so much Smash Brothers back at the house. The family stopped by, and Icrontians kept Perry laughing and delivering smack talk until morning came again. (And then did it again last night.) My thumb was sprained badly over a week ago, so I couldn't join, and I was impossibly tired by 1:30am, but I couldn't drag myself away so I slept on the couch by the fire, periodically awoken by triumphant shouts and laughs, and I smiled every time.

sneakypurplesCBAlexDeGruvencolaBobbyDigiWinfreyWagsFTWChoochTiberiusLazarusRyderJokkeCycloniteKwitkoSazbeanMarshmellowMt_GoatGargRyanMMthe_technocratMassalinieMiracleManSUPSLynxColgereGHoosdum
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

If @FreshyP would at all be willing, it would be amazing to have his eulogy posted. It was so beautiful and perfect and I didn't stop crying the entire time he spoke.

the_technocratMassalinieRyanFodder
    edited October 2019

it would be amazing to have his eulogy posted

He did express willingness. Working on it. (Lots of folks have been requesting it.)

the_technocrat

Before Perry shares his and sets the bar too high, this is (more or less) how I began the eulogies on Thursday:

In April 2007, I moved several states away into the basement of a friend I met on the Internet. That’s a really hard thing to explain to people. But it’s far harder to explain what happened next.

Lying on my bed that first night in Michigan there was a note from Brian, Tracey, and the kids that said “Welcome home”. I still have that note. But it wasn’t a superficial kindness. It was my new reality. The four of them, along with Ray and Joanie, made me part of their family.

I already loved Perry and Kyle when I moved in. I’d known them for years already, and at 7- and 8-years old they were already unlike any kids I’d ever met. I had no idea how much more I’d soon love them.

When I moved in, I was dad’s friend. A year or two later, I remember thinking I wish they’d started calling me 'uncle', but it was too late now. It took me many years longer to realize it just didn’t matter. When I started getting Father’s Day cards, I could’ve died happy right then, my life complete.

I moved here for an opportunity. I stayed because of my family.

The last time I remember Kyle coming over, he immediately gave me a hug. He spent all of 3 minutes in the house, and then he hugged me again before he left. And that pretty much summed him up. He loved people and he wasn’t afraid to make sure you knew it. He taught me a lot about loving freely without worry about reciprocation. Who possibly wouldn’t love you? Obviously, no one.

When Kyle and Perry were much younger, elementary age, they would often play a video game called Team Fortress 2 with Brian and I. It’s a 12 vs 12 game played online, and we play with an open mic so all 24 people can talk together. One night, Brian and I told the kids they could curse. One night only, no restrictions.

You could feel the anticipation build as they pondered their options and waited for their moment. Finally, in the heat of battle, Kyle cried out, “This is a real fuck fight!” and the entire server lost it, laughing and yelling. I was delighted. Perry didn’t even try to follow that act, and there was no more kid curses that evening as the adults recycled that now-immortal line over and over.

What I love about that story is that given an opportunity to pour his heart into a curse, Kyle didn’t choose to express anger or curse at a person. He was joyous and excited, and he cursed in a voice overflowing with happiness. That’s who Kyle was.

We’re going to hear memories and stories from his family and a few of his friends today. Not under the delusion we’re going to feel any better about what happened when it’s all over, but in the hope that we all walk out these doors a little better prepared to live like the people Kyle believed we could be.

ChoochmertesnaspieRommelWagsFTWMt_GoatSonorousKwitkoJokkeStackCBGargStraight_ManWinfreyRyanMMAlidraBobbyDigithe_technocratsneakypurplesMassalinieColgereRyanFodderSazbeanCycloniteKaintenanceBlueTattooGHoosdumCliff_Forstermalia
  • IvanIvan Icrontian
    GargColgereRyderJokkecolaelyxandraSonorousWinfreyprimesuspectMassalinieWagsFTWGnomeQueenBobbyDigiRyanMMMt_GoatAlexDeGruvenKaintenanceStraight_ManaspieRommelSazbeanSodaCliff_ForsterBuddyJTeramonaCycloniteChoochCreeperbane2Strikes
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

If anyone would ever like to visit Kyle's grave site; he has a small plot next to his great-grandfather where we've buried some of his ashes. There will be a headstone there within the next few weeks.

The cemetery is Cadillac Memorial Gardens East at 17000 17 Mile Rd, Clinton Twp, MI 48038

I've attached a map with the approximate area of his grave site. It's right off the small road and quite easy to find. His great-grandfather's name is John Wiltshire, so if you've found that one, Kyle is right next to him.

Ryderthe_technocratBobbyDigiStraight_ManGnomeQueenMiracleManSWinfreyGargMassalinieWagsFTWMt_GoatcolaDontCallMeKelsoSazbeanChooch

Kyle's headstone has been installed. I can't describe how surreal and soul-crushingly painful it is to see a headstone memorializing my baby boy. This is not something anybody should ever have to go through.

WinfreyaspieRommelKwitkoJokkeColgere_kBlackHawkCycloniteGargRyderStraight_ManQCHMiracleManSGnomeQueensneakypurplesMarshmellowCreeperbane2TushonThraxMt_GoatNiGHTSWagsFTWmaliaCBcolaMrTRiotBobbyDigiChoochSonorousAlexDeGruvenSazbeanMassalinieCharshieEnverex
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Dagmara and I wish we were there right now to give you all big hugs.

Yesterday, June 16th, 2021, Dennis Lee Harrington plead "no contest" to the charge of Reckless Driving Resulting in Death. This is a felony with a maximum 15-year sentence. His sentencing will be August 12, 2021.

RyderGnomeQueenRyanMMpigflipperMarshmellowQCHdrasnorMassalinieaspieRommelketoCreeperbane2CyrixInsteadWinfreyMt_Goat
    edited August 2021

Today, August 12th, 2021: Dennis Lee Harrington was sentenced to 36-180 months in prison for the murder of Kyle Ambrozy.

At minimum, he will be in prison for three years. His first parole hearing will be in late 2024.

Since he has no prior criminal record, and will almost certainly not be a troublemaker or criminal in prison, he will very likely be out of prison and on probation by 2024.

He owes me $10,400 in restitution for expenses related to the effects of this loss; I have absolutely no expectation that this obligation will be met in any meaningful manner, in any sort of time frame that makes any sort of difference to any of our lives. My plan for that money is to help send Kyle's ashes literally into outer space.

The top question I've been asked all day is: how do you feel about the sentence, do you think it was fair, what did you want out of this, etc.

My feelings are not complicated: I literally don't care about the sentence, whether or not it was fair, or what happens to Dennis Harrington. I never cared about prison anyway. I just don't care.

What I do care about; the only thing I want out of this: I want him off the road. For now, and for at least the next several years, that has been accomplished, and that is all that matters to me. Will his driving privileges be reinstated some day? Perhaps. Will it be a long and expensive and arduous process that consumes a significant portion of his resources and energy? Maybe. Maybe not. I don't actually care.

People are getting hung up on the numbers. 36. 180. 3 years. 15 years. What does it mean, etc.

He will be in state prison for three years. Then he will be out. His life will never be the same, just like me.

I want to extend my heartfelt thanks for all the endless love and support and messages of kindness we've received, but most of all I want to thank Tracey for carrying this unimaginable burden with me. She has invested a staggering amount of emotional and mental energy into this case, and because of her tireless and righteous work, the judge, the bailiffs, the attorneys, and all others present truly felt, at the very deepest level, the wrath of a mother whose baby has been murdered. Only one thing could be more powerful - a mother's love.

The prosecutor told us afterwards that he has never really seen someone without a prior criminal record get such a serious sentence. Tracey's efforts accomplished this.

I am now ready to move on from this chapter of our lives. It's over, Kyle lives on through his influence on all of us, and my life is dedicated to living the way he wanted me to—fun, free, and totally fuckin' awesome.

LincTushonGnomeQueenpigflipperCBKwitkoRyderThraxMiracleManSBobbyDigiSazbeanketoCycloniteMt_GoataspieRommelEMTStrikes
This discussion has been closed.