Backup solution

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian

I'm looking for a (cloud) backup service.

I keep a backup of important files on a USB harddrive, but I'd like a separate solution in case it fails.

I'm not looking for massive space, 10-15 gigabytes. Preferrably I'd like software that will run itself at set intervals, and backup a folder of my choosing. I'd also like to keep backups from several computers on the same account, if possible.

Secondarily I'd probably use it as a file transfer service, so I'm not dependent on bringing physical media with me to transfer files. Recovery/download of selected files would have to be fairly easy.

Data security is a priority, as I'd keep backup of bank records and such.

Do any of you have recommendations for any providers that can be trusted?

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

CrashPlan

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

CrashPlan,yes!

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Google Drive can do all this, and has the advantage of being ubiquitous. Wherever you go, whoever you try to send files to, you can always get to your Google Drive files. That or MS OneDrive, which is very similar. Bot h of them will let you go all of that stuff.

There are a lot of great services specifically for making secure cloud back-ups (I use BackBlaze, myself) but none of them really fulfill your second requirement.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I've been happy with SpiderOak for no-introspection storage.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Crashplan doesn't exist anymore. They sold their customers to Carbonite, which is what I use now.

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian

Thank you for your replies. I will have to try out the different ones, and see which I like better.

• BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian

I use Crashplan as well. When they shutdown the consumer version, I upgraded to the small business version.

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

Got a SCSI 8gig tape drive for ya ;)

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I have 3 old servers sitting in my basement waiting for me to set up to do folding. I keep thinking of slamming a bunch of old HDD in them some some not overly robust raid and lending out space to people I know for like a dollar. I think all together they can manage like twelve 1TB drives with the mobo that is in them.

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian

Backblaze has been good for me. It's per-PC and doesn't allow network shares to be backed up. Though I run separate scripts to copy my data from other systems to the one computer I'm backing up.

_k