Built new PC, GPU failing to fold

d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I have been trying to troubleshoot here and there with limited knowledge on either side of things, so I don't have a screenshot of the issue.

Built my new PC, it is running a Radeon 5700XT which should pump out some decent numbers, however on the occasion that I actually get a WU for the GPU it is failing and I am not sure why. Someone suggested the GPU Whitelist, which does include the 5700 XT, so I am out of my depth as to why my GPU is failing to get any WUs or actually complete them.

Comments

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

OK, try clicking on fold on the same menu that shows on screen. If it still does not work I would post on Folding@Homes support forum-- beginner's area.

Also, fold with the gaming not active and the computer not overclocked and see if that helps.

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

What is the log file actually saying when the GPU WU fails? The log tab is right above the finish button.

edited March 2020

I'll see if it fails again soon. Right now it is just stuck waiting for idle even though it isn't set to wait for idle.

I've tried telling the GPU specifically to fold, but it doesn't do anything. It ran one successful when I first started and failed the following few. Updated the drivers and it hasn't even attempted to start since then.

Luckily the CPU is still pressing out about 100k points a day.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

The project has had a ton on influx of users due to COVID-19, so there's a shortage of WU's, projects or whatever they are called. My rig is idling a lot as well.

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2020

Once you get stuck waiting hours before a work download retry you can pause the GPU slot and start it again to reset the retries.

Also since everyone is having trouble getting work currently you can add a flag to each slot specifying at what % complete of the current WU you want to start attempting a download. Generally this is for slow connections but also works when it is taking a lot of retries for any reason.

Well it turns out the GPU doesn't try to fold when set to light, setting to medium it started downloading a new WU. I'll see if it can actually complete now.

Where can I set the % to start a new WU?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@d3k0y I would not worry about that tbh. it hurts your numbers on average if you aren't on a slow connection, and overall would delay the results. Just let it ride and it'll grab one eventually

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I think it's super cool that there's a wait for work units. WE'VE FOLDED ALL THE PROTEINS

Mt_GoatGarg

Um, and all that they can make are being grabbed faster than they can be generated. Each project tries to answer a behavioral question about a particular protein. The data is flowing in to Stanford such that they are seriously discussing storing large amounts on the cloud ASAP.

Mt_Goat