Please help me with NUC crashing

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

My wife runs a NUC with an i5-6260U, sx8GB RAM, and Intel M.2 and Samsung 2.5" HDD.
It runs Win10 Home.
MS hasn't pushed any updates in tree weeks, and haven't knowingly changed anything. And on Fri it began BSOD frequently. Sometimes it will let you work, email, watch videos and all is fine. The it will barf just opening Firefox the next time.
It will not make it through the Intel CPU test suite. It always fails in the math portion.
The stop code is always WHEA_uncorrectable_error
If I look at the event log the source is Kernel-Power
So this is either power delivery or heat related. How do I narrow this down? What can I do to limp by? (slow the CPU? Jack up fan settings?)
Please offer me some ideas. Ed

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2020

Have you tried cleaning it's CPU cooler and case fans??

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

Yes, opened it up and blew things out. Just a little dust.
    I have been reading on Intel and it looks like a power delivery fault that on later versions was fixed by BIOS changed.

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

Have you updated your BIOS? That might be a good first step and fairly simple to do if it's a dual bios system.

Next thing I would do is look at temperatures inside your case. Small form factors are notorious for over heating. You can usually find the temperatures in your BIOS. Removing the case plate and letting it breathe could also be some indication if its heat related, provided it improves your crashing results.

Lastly I would look at power issues. They are more nuanced and difficult to diagnose without going through almost every component individually. Downclocking your CPU could temporarily deal with this but only if its crashing under moderate to heavy load.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

RAM.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Probably, given what has come before in this thread.

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

Updated BIOS, updated drivers, turned down the power slightly, turned up the fan, and now testing each stick in each slot.
    It will run fine for a while but some video content trips it. Looking like on board power issue.
    Still trying.