The Mandalorian

pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian

So I bit the bullet and got Disney+ so I could watch this tonight.

I liked it, decent job building the world up, pacing was a bit quick but does a good job. Nice bit of bait to grab you at the end and keep you coming back. I'm in.

Just wish it was a bit longer per episode, not sure if I'm into the music yet either.

I watched ESB after it. Damn it looks good in 4K, Lucas meddling be damned.

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I really liked it. They did a great job fitting it in the universe in some indeterminate time. I'm assuming we'll get more context as time goes on. All I can see is that we're post Jedi at this point.

Also: SO CUTE OMG

• I loved the first episode. It's a space western.

One of the most compelling things about Star Wars is that there are so many opportunities to tell original stories. Sometimes they crossover with the more popular lore, but sometimes they don't need to. I think that is the opportunity here, give me the intergalactic version of the man with no name.

Also: They are gonna sell a ton of those things, OMG!!

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I'll probably subscribe once all 8 episodes are out

• I am thrilled they are going to trickle out a week at a time. I've tried the binge watching thing. I've done it with Stranger Things, I binged Breaking Bad in a couple weeks well after it was off the air, I'm currently doing American God's.

Frankly, getting a story all at once kills that anticipation of what may come next. It ruins an integral part of what watching a television series is about. That communal water cooler thing where you watch an episode and then discuss what you liked and what might be coming next. When you swallow it all in one big chunk you lose that.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Nah, I'm good. I don't watch TV normally; I can go months without watching anything. I see it as an interruption to my normal routine so I want it to be worthwhile. When I sit down to watch something, I want to consume it all, enjoy it, and go back to my regular routine.

MAGIC

I see both sides of the equation. The anticipation of the next episode in a serial is what Television has been all about since almost inception. But at the same time, it's also great to be able to sit down and watch the entire story at your own pace and not have to wait.

I think there's an art to crafting a series to fit one or the other.

Bosch was great at putting together an 8+ hour story and breaking it up into manageable chunks that could be watched in groups, as a whole, or one at a time.

Stranger Things, I feel, fits the weekly serial mode better.

I feel like The Mandalorian fits the serial mode as well. Not so much a cliffhanger as a note to say "Tune in next week!".

• One issue with the trickle release method for those that enjoy a good TV binge session is that it's nearly impossible to avoid spoilers in the internet age. Like I'm being super sweet as I usually am and not spoiling and being careful not to spoil any major details for anyone, but hey, 99% of the internet isn't as soft and sensitive to the entertainment needs of others as I am.

The second episode was dope. It looks and sounds like Star Wars. I think they are doing a brilliant job of balancing practical effects and creature creations with CG. The CG isn't quite big budget film quality but it's pretty good. Some of the sounds in the second episode, it's so Star Wars... I know that's a silly thing to critique but it just feels like it belongs in that place that your imagined as a child. It's tone is universal, I imagine some older jaded fans are going to hate it for being a little too cute or campy in places, but I have always enjoyed that component of Star Wars.

Point is, it's good. May the force be with those who wait to avoid spoilers.

Couple of really great moments in Ep2. Very good stuff.

I'm going to start using "I have spoken" on my kids.

• jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian

LOL, yeah I'm doing that too. Brush your teeth...I have spoken.

I'm really liking the show so far. It's got that star wars feel, and it doesn't have a comic relief character. I would recommend it.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

I'm enjoying the show so far as well.

I do think the music is very campy and sitcom TV style. Also, now that I have watched a few episodes it's becoming very obvious what's going to happen in the final episode. I think all the people he has met in each episode will come back and help Mando is some way...This is the way...I have spoken. If not, then there is starting to be no continuity between episodes. This last episode was kinda boring, and didn't add much to the Mandilorian story. A filler episode maybe.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

You have to remember that once the overall story and setting is established in the first few episodes, shows will take a few episodes and use them to develop the characters further. For example in episode 5 we see Mando starting to shift some of his major characteristics. Before he started helping baby Yoda I don't believe he would have even considered helping that kid out with his bounty. But Mando is different now and no longer just a cold and effective bounty hunter. I think we will see one or two more development episodes before things start to resolve.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

B A B Y Y O D A

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

THE CHILD

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Strangers With Candy lady

CB

Great cameo. Amy Sedaris is awesome.

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian
    MiracleManS
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

I really, really enjoyed this series. It scratched an itch and that's just what I needed.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

I don't know if any of you have watched this old Japanese Samurai show. It's based on a graphic novel but it's called Lone Wolf and Cub. There are so many elements of that show that are in the Mandolorian. The first episode of Lone Wolf and Cub is called "Baby Cart to Hades" which says just about all you need to know about where the show heads. It's awesome, I would recommend it. There's a lot more gore/violence but hey that's 70's tv in a nutshell.

Overall I really liked Mandolorian. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

This is not the way :(

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka Tano!

• Without spoilers, the latest episode made my inner nine year old scream with nerd joy. Of all the things Disney has produced with the Star Wars license, the Mandalorian chapter 14 is only behind Rogue One in awesomeness.

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

At my daughter's over Tgiving, over 4 or 5 nights we watched the first season and the 5 of S2 that were out.
    It really has that old western feel (not that all of SW doesn't).
    The did a good job mixing episodes that have different scope, some are a very small self contained story while others are just a sliver of the full arc.
    Now i need to find access to D+ to watch more ......

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

I'm concerned about the direction they took in the most recent episode. There are now so many plot threads in play, I'm intrigued to see what gets wrapped up in the next two episodes to finish out this season and what will be left hanging for future seasons. Some of these recent developments are big things that I think would be hard to handle as a show runner; do you wrap it up in two episodes, or leave it hanging and drag it out well into next season. Either choice seems like it'd be very divisive among the audience at this point.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

I dislike the ending of the last episode, sence it essentially erases the possibility Cassius Fett will be recannonized.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2020

@BuddyJ said:
    I'm concerned about the direction they took in the most recent episode. There are now so many plot threads in play, I'm intrigued to see what gets wrapped up in the next two episodes to finish out this season and what will be left hanging for future seasons. Some of these recent developments are big things that I think would be hard to handle as a show runner; do you wrap it up in two episodes, or leave it hanging and drag it out well into next season. Either choice seems like it'd be very divisive among the audience at this point.

I think they are confident enough in their direction that they are going to spin off into a larger television universe. I'm thrilled that they may be able to tie up some glaring loose ends from the Disney trilogy which let's face it... was produced by people who had no cohesive plan... well now they have an out, they can play it cool and be like, Yo, we knew exactly what we were doing all along.

This episode though, forget the narrative direction for a moment, it was just cool, at least cool in the nine year old boy sense of the word. You see that episode and you immediately run and play with your action figures. It gave me that feeling. I wish I had some toys to start going pew pew pew on the floor immediately after viewing. It fired off my Star Wars endorphins. Honestly, after episode nine I thought, maybe I just have outgrown this thing? Maybe I loved Star Wars and I just don't anymore.... Like you doubt yourself and your own tastes. Maybe it's me? This episode totally erased that doubt for me. Star Wars is still a thrill in the hands of the right storyteller.

pigflipper
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

Welp yesterday's announcements seem to show that Disney+ is doubling-down on Star Wars and they're using this series to pilot future shows. I'm game for it.

Today's episode was sooooo gooood.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

@BuddyJ said:
    Welp yesterday's announcements seem to show that Disney+ is doubling-down on Star Wars and they're using this series to pilot future shows. I'm game for it.

Today's episode was sooooo gooood.

Doubling down? More like quadrupling or quintupling down. Milking that Cash core as long as they can. And I'm in for all of it.

BuddyJ