F@h-La-La-La-La

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

Sweater weather is back and that means a perfect chance to break out those f@h space heaters we all have for the cold winter months. @mas0n loved be toasty all summer in Texas. @drasnor must have the exhaust from his rig connected to a good nozzle to help SpaceX rocket launches.
Lets not leave these warm boys alone at the top of the charts.
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=93

mas0nprimesuspectMassalinieMAGIC

Comments

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

Bring those temps down a few more degrees during the day and I will be able to leave my rig folding while I go to work

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Heat exchanger makes the ullage gas get bigger so that when you take the cold liquid out the beer can doesn't implode.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

alright. Turning it back on!

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

If the house is a folding, don't wear pants seriously cause it gets toasty.

primesuspectMrTRiot

Running it on the laptop? That's some moxie right there.

_k

FYI it seems the f@H PPD db that is still active is a new one to me: https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_overall

The old one is looking pretty stale: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1vcVoSVtamcoGj5sFfvKF_XlvuviWWveJIg_iZ8U2bf0/pub?output=html

Temps finally dropped here in North Florida, I can run nonstop now until May/early June, well, except for that one week in December when it goes back to 90F...

mas0nGarg

Big kudos to everyone. The team had its biggest month in the past year. Great work and dedication since as the weather cools but can still be eradicate it takes some planning to know how to manage things day by day. Plus all the gaming that has been going in October that adds the extra layer of ensuring you remember to turn everything back on.

mas0nMrTRiotprimesuspectMassalinie
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian

Other than my primary desktop, I moved folding rigs into the server room at work, so they're nice and cool. When everything is cranking I can usually do ~5M PPD.

Garg

If people weren't aware if you set your preferred research to covid-19 via the web control the ppd is better on those WUs by a good bit.

pigflipperprimesuspectMassalinie

Just a little follow up on my last post but this is the kind of ppd increase that change does, added a +50 OC to one GPU as well. Almost a 1 million point increase.

mas0n

Super fun. Threw OC back on the GPUs and everything had been smooth sailing for a few weeks then last night the GPU failed. Rather strange to walk in and my computer was asleep.

primesuspect

New AMD GPU f@h data is up https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_overall . Not to bad

MassalinieMrTRiot

Interesting, it is showing my GPU as averaging significantly less than what I am seeing, almost 100k ppd difference

edited November 2020

this is all crowd sourced data so only the most popular GPUs have enough data backing them to push out outliers, plus when covid f@h started most GPUs got a big bump. Wish there was some more data on what is going into the calcs the website is showing so it would be easy to figure out how real the numbers are.

you can help it be more accurate if you run their plugin for chrome. I run just the f@h web control through chrome to make sure to send my data on both machines.

Lar systems updated their website with a little more data plus a layout redesign. Now they are informing people their total sample size for their CPU and GPU ranking, CPU ranking is new. Looks like the site is growing which is super cool

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

The folding.lar.systems site is interesting, but it's too bad you can only contribute data with Chrome.
    Has anyone else CPU folding on AMD noticed that hyperthreading doesn't give any more PPD? It always has on Intel CPUs I've tried, but I get better PPD and lower power usage when I use 8 threads on my Ryzen 1700X. Their database shows that CPU as having 75k-ish PPD, but I'm getting 89k now, and have gotten up to 110k. Maybe everyone in their samples has been using >8 threads.

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

4 GPUs cracking away as much as they can... when the kids aren't using them.

mas0n

Awesome! Man if we could get just one or two more people with modern GPUs folding...

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    Awesome! Man if we could get just one or two more people with modern GPUs folding...

We're trying :(

@UPSLynx has a 1080Ti I think. That is 2 million easy.

@primesuspect said:

Computer ran a little low on coolant but it's sorted now.

edited January 2021

@Jokke Threw 5 million yesterday. I think the man has a 3080 he just turned on.

From discord: "One has a 2080Ti, one has a 1080, and the baby one is a 980.
    There is a slight OC on the 1080 and 2080."

primesuspectmas0n
    edited January 2021

5800x running on f@h currently to see what kind of temps it puts out on a noctua D15. It is just sitting on a tray with a GT710 GPU. Doing not bad for 105w CPU but only holding at 4.6GHz except one core that keeps bouncing down to 3.7GHz. Everything is stock except fabric:memory ratio.

Got acronis installed the other day and it randomly decided to block f@h until I added it to the whitelist, not like it had watch several WUs run.

I had to stop folding because of GPU issues:

I get random driver crashes, it seems to happen more often when using F@H, but can occur at anytime. Sometimes the driver just resets, other times its a complete crash and only a hard power off at the PSU will reset the system.

I've had to significantly slow my folding (via all-day pauses sometimes) because folding fucks with my video conferencing, which is what I do 90% of my day for work.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    I've had to significantly slow my folding (via all-day pauses sometimes) because folding fucks with my video conferencing, which is what I do 90% of my day for work.

Ate you using RTX broadcast with your camera?