Wonder Woman 84

Just finished Wonder Woman 84. Without spoilers I will say it gave me a kind of old Christopher Reeve Superman vibe. It’s cheesy as hell but in all the ways that push my nostalgia buttons. If you don’t get too hung up on the mechanics of the fantasy and enjoy the various character arcs for what they are it’s a winner, especially if you embrace some of the corny sentimentality. I loved it.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

Negative reviews seem to bring up the lack of action... I agree that WW84 was a bit more story/ character development and less action. But I don't think it was unreasonably so... I am not a movie snob when dealing with an action/ hero movies. The part of my brain that analyzes and looks for deep meaning... it can take a break. I watched it on HBO Max, which I already had, so it was like it was free. I watch thin on my new 4K TV and the cinematics and audio were GREAT.

Cliff_Forster
  • @QCH said:
    Negative reviews seem to bring up the lack of action... I agree that WW84 was a bit more story/ character development and less action. But I don't think it was unreasonably so... I am not a movie snob when dealing with an action/ hero movies. The part of my brain that analyzes and looks for deep meaning... it can take a break. I watched it on HBO Max, which I already had, so it was like it was free. I watch thin on my new 4K TV and the cinematics and audio were GREAT.

For the life of me I can't understand all the negativity surrounding this film. In a year that's been devoid of big release films because of the current circumstances, this felt like a gift to the masses. I watched it again and it was just as enjoyable for me.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited January 2021

I liked the film, but I definitely understand the negativity.

• The scale is all off compared to the first film. We go from defeating a god during WWI to..hanging out in the 80s? Did none of the other wars matter?
      *The big bad is EXTREMELY hand-wavey. Everything goes wrong and Steve is back because of...a magic rock. Which apparently works however the story wants it to. It was not a convincing or interesting plot device. Something something monkey's paw and old gods.

• Apparently Diana has just been...sitting around being sad about Steve for like 70 years? That's the majority of what she's about these days? She's not sad about her missing family? And her emotional journey in the movie is...to be open to heterosexual romance again? It's so reductionist from her character growth in the first movie

• Way too much CGI in the action scenes-- the fight with cheetah was so rag-dolly and fake looking.
    • The first movie was SO good, this one felt like a big let down. What I would have loved to see instead was Diana searching for and then finding Themyscira, and then introducing her mom and friends to the 80s. THAT would have been hilarious and great, and it would have also been nice to have a movie with more than 3.5 characters.
    CB
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I agree with all of that. It was 'fun' to watch. It was very poppy and had a good pace and some interesting visuals, but it was not a good story.

GQ's second point: That Diana would pine after Steve for literally 70 years was the most unbelievable part to me. I could see her being happy to find him after so long, but I don't buy her just like.... not living her life at all, and still thinking about him every single day. She loved the guy, sure, but it was a whirlwind thing. She knew him for all of a few days a lifetime ago. It's a huge character flaw that she would not be over him.
    Like: I fell in love with someone on a trip to London in 2004. We had a great time, and for two weeks felt like we were on top of the world spending every moment together, and had something that would last forever. I thought I had met a soulmate. Guys... I still love her, and think of her fondly, but I don't think of her every day, and right now, as I type this, I can't even remember her name.
    I mean, I guess I can accept that Diana's love for Steve was deeper than that, but... based on what? Their relationship was forged in chaos and adrenaline. That's not a good foundation for love. Why do you think 007 can never keep a girlfriend?
    And no matter how deep it was ... 70 years?! that's like... a symptom of some kind of mental disorder.

GnomeQueen
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

@CB said:

Like: I fell in love with someone on a trip to London in 2004. We had a great time, and for two weeks felt like we were on top of the world spending every moment together, and had something that would last forever. I thought I had met a soulmate. Guys... I still love her, and think of her fondly, but I don't think of her every day, and right now, as I type this, I can't even remember her name.
    I mean, I guess I can accept that Diana's love for Steve was deeper than that, but... based on what? Their relationship was forged in chaos and adrenaline. That's not a good foundation for love. Why do you think 007 can never keep a girlfriend?
    And no matter how deep it was ... 70 years?! that's like... a symptom of some kind of mental disorder.

I concur. It's pretty much the biggest issue I had the with Titanic movie. You mean to tell me that the old lady spent all this time pining over a guy she met on a cruise 70+ years ago? Enough so that it's hinted that you die and then see him again in the afterlife (and completely forget about your life with your kids, grandkids, etc.?)

That being said, I liked the movie. Not as much as the first one by a long shot, but it was a decent Super Hero movie.