New PC for 1440

MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
edited May 2021 in Hardware

I'm finally joining the 1440 resolution crew. I have a 5800x and an EVGA 3070 FTW and a power supply (thanks @_k and @Tushon respectively).
Not looking to break the bank, but I want to be relatively stable. What I need is recommendations for filling out the rest of my build meaning the following:
Case
Motherboard
Ram
Internal drive (sitting on one SSD that has windows but is getting old and isn't m2)
Anything else folks might recommend
1440 monitor
Budget isn't infinity, but it's relatively high so show me what I'm working with Icrontic* *

Edit: Knowing that boards need flashed these days(?) I'd prefer the easiest of those.

Cliff_Forster

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Here's some thoughts:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tushon/saved/#view=f48vjX

• case is really personal choice. I don't like seeing the inside at all, so I pick solid cases which are harder to find but typically quieter
    • Motherboard has room to move down (or up lol) in price depending on features you want. e.g. no wifi drops the cost a little bit. I'm very partial to Gigabyte from years of good experiences, but MSI has a significantly cheaper version here. Gigabyte has a less expensive B550 here
    • RAM: @Thrax - has inside deets on "best" usually handy down to kit recs. 2x8 or 2x16 is sorta your choice here.
    • NVME: some of these boards have 1 slot only, so you might go bigger than 1TB if you want to only have one drive and keep the interior free and clear.
    • monitor: @fatcat is one of the resident experts, but I think this is a pretty good option for 1440p
    Cliff_Forster
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

Thanks Nick!

I guess I should say I'm partial to as easy a setup as I can get. Knowing that boards need flashed these days(?) I'd prefer the easiest of those.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

It's sorta a crap-shoot right now on if it is 5000 ready out of the box. Mine wasn't when I bought one a few months ago, but @CrazyJoe 's was when he got it. Got the sticker to prove it! I'm not sure if there is any way to know beyond it being produced much more recently

• I just went monitor shopping, I stuck with 1080p at 240 Hz because I'm more of an esports player these days and it's the resolution that my Ryzen 3600 and 5600 XT will support the best, but I did look extensively at the Microcenter, I mean I looked at every screen and my eyes kept telling me there was something pleasingly natural looking about the LG Ultragear IPS panels so that's what I picked up. Here is a 1440p 144Hz model. - https://www.microcenter.com/product/634763/lg-27gl83a-baus-ultragear-27-qhd-144hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-technology,-g-sync-compatible-ips-led-gaming-monitor

I'd second sticking B550, you should not have to flash those out of the box as they were the new chipsets launched for this series, and I don't see much value in X570 unless you are running every slot on the board maxed out and overclocking heavily. I have been pleased with the last couple Asrock boards I've built on, actually pleasantly surprised at how well they support them, regular updates, easy tools to flash but that isn't to say there are not other perfectly good options on a B550 board.

Ram, keep in mind Ryzen will scale to a certain point, speed, latency actually matter here, so it's worth buying a quality kit. That doesn't mean you have to go too crazy, and if it's all gaming an 8X8 16Gb dual channel kit is still plenty, but Ryzen will scale if you enable the profiles in the BIOS and get the speeds boosted and the timings as tight as you can.

I only recommend one maker of SSD's NVME or SATA and that's Crucial. I use nothing else, crucial drives have simply had a perfect reliability record for me.

You will want a case with decent cooling potential for your hardware. The Pure Base 500 DX has a mesh open front and three decent stock fans for a really fair price. I have built in other Be Quiet cases and they have all been reasonably good. https://www.newegg.com/black-be-quiet-pure-base-atx-micro-atx-mid-tower/p/2AM-0037-00071?Description=500 dx&cm_re=500_dx--9SIA68VB0W1038--Product&quicklink=true

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I'm personally partial to ITX cases and motherboards for builds where I don't expect to ever need more than just the GPU as an expansion card. All the nice B550 ITX boards are ~$200 though there's a nice little ASRock for $130 if you don't mind RealTek NICs.
    I had great experiences with Fractal Designs' cases last time I did this. They have a little shoebox chassis and some more conventional towers.
    Their new Era chassis looks pretty sweet, I wish this was available last time I was building.

Cliff_Forster
  • @drasnor said:
    I'm personally partial to ITX cases and motherboards for builds where I don't expect to ever need more than just the GPU as an expansion card. All the nice B550 ITX boards are ~$200 though there's a nice little ASRock for $130 if you don't mind RealTek NICs.
    I had great experiences with Fractal Designs' cases last time I did this. They have a little shoebox chassis and some more conventional towers.
    Their new Era chassis looks pretty sweet, I wish this was available last time I was building.

ITX builds can look amazing and save on footprint but I tend to avoid doing it. I was really intrigued by the slightly oddball design of the TT Tower 100 and considered swapping to it, but I'm going to remain in my Fractal Define Mini C for now. The only thing I can't figure out about the tower 100 is how a fan positioned for exhaust behind the motherboard tray is doing anything? The other case I am intrigued by is the Lian Li TU150, it's cool how you can do the cable routing through the top using an SFX power supply in that unique mounting. My one concern is getting enough airflow in that, solid top, front is fairly impeded, the bottom is totally open and a back fan mount, so I guess the GPU is going to get plenty of air from the underside and if you are smart about the front and rear fan selections, probably a good static pressure one on the front and a high airflow on the rear it might cool pretty well. It looks pretty sweet though.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Many ITX motherboards have NVMe mounted on the rear of the mobo, and today's high transfer rates can cause thermal saturation and performance loss. I presume the fan is for that.