You should uninstall Chrome

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited October 2021 in Internet & Media

Antitrust filing against Google

• Google has a secret deal with Facebook called "Jedi Blue" that they knew was so illegal that it has a whole section describing how they'll cover for each other if anyone finds out.
  • Google appears to have a team called gTrade that is wholly dedicated to ad market manipulation.
  • Google had a plan called "Project NERA" to turn the web into a walled garden they called "Not Owned But Operated". A core component of this was the forced logins to the Chrome browser.
  • Google is willing to do almost everything to prevent people from circumventing their ad exchanges. This is what AMP is about.
  • Google habitually insider trades on their ad exchanges in every way you can think of and every way you can't. The exchanges are also rigged so that google wins on bids where they aren't the highest bidder. A large amount of people inside google are aware of all of this.

This Twitter thread isn't nonsense, it's something that's been slow-leaking for weeks. Per the thread:

"Either Google is screwed or society is screwed, we'll find out which."

Comments

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

What should we be using? mozilla?

This is a serious question from someone who has been using Chrome for a decade

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

Firefox is a great choice, yes. It's my primary browser.
    Several of my coworkers use Brave and recommend it.
    Safari (for those on Mac / iOS) has led the way in banning third-party cookies.
    Edge uses the Chromium engine and is a fine choice to my knowledge, too.
    Really, you can't miss. They're all quite solid these days.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I am a total convert to Edge. It's fast, it's clean, and Microsoft doesn't give me the ick these days.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2021

I would never have expected that an MS browser would be tops.

What about all my cool extensions. Can I live without them?

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2021

Brave is apparently chromium based as well; https://brave.com/ . It is intriguing that they claim to prevent finger printing, anything they say they prevent I assume will be a cat and mouse technique. But Brave still just loads extensions from the chrome store.

From quick reading it seems like Brave uses less memory per tab and they have a weird ad system that some people don't like. People who don't recommend Brave say use chromium or firefox with ublock origin if you are worried about tracking.

• I could not agree more. Google Chrome is also a security hazard for the uninitiated user. They do a piss poor job at managing what's available in extensions and an even worse job of setting the browser up to adequately warn users that downloading that free pdf, map, recipe, whatever thingamajig is most likely just a way to spy on you and deliver even more adware. I use Safari on my Apple devices, on my PC I use Firefox, and if I'm desperate for Chromium compatibility I'll use the new version of Edge. Our Desktop engineering just defaulted to Chrome on our work laptops so I'm stuck using it there because we have applications designed to work inside of it but I don't sign into it with my account anymore, and honestly, I'm thinking about migrating out of Google and Facebook services altogether. That could be a thread in and of itself.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

What's next? do I switch from gmail to outlook?! Do I start using BING??!!

edited October 2021

@CB said:
    What's next? do I switch from gmail to outlook?! Do I start using BING??!!

Actually, Brian and I literally had that conversation last night. We're moving Icrontic's email off of Gmail soon. (We will provide more info to those few with an active Icrontic email account ahead of time.)

edited October 2021

Personally, I intend to deprecate my Gmail addresses.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Linc said:
    Personally, I intend to deprecate my Gmail addresses.

Yeah, this is my long-term plan. Probably do a chunk of services at a time and maybe at the same time as a 2FA transfer to a new device. We shall see!

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2021

I switched from Chrome to Firefox about two years ago now, but I'm still frustrated daily by how piss poor FF's form auto-fill is.

1. Nonexistent on mobile
    2. Janky on desktop
    3. Credit card sometime doesn't work
    4. FF Lockwise just doesn't work 50% of the time on Android
    5. The addon ecosystem was devastated by a new Quantum fork
    6. Passwords sometimes don't sync between Firefox desktop, Firefox mobile, mobile Lockwise.

The auto-fill apocalypse is explained away as "resources are limited" on mobile, and the addon apocalypse has just lingered in purgatory. The customization afforded to Firefox, especially in the UI department, is so much better than Chrome. But goodness, Mozilla needs so much work on quality of life for the user.

That said: definitely won't go back.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Yep, agreed with what @Thrax says about. I use Bitwarden everywhere (desktop and mobile) which does help with some of the issues cited (but I realize it's lame that third party is better). It can autofill addresses (not great on mobile but maybe I don't know something), cards, passwords, etc.

I actually use Safari at work in part because its password sync & autofill are so much better, and I have to login to so much shit there.

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

This thread makes me realize how little I use auto-populate/form fill.

_kMassalinie

I guess I should also note it only recently occurred to me to go to Firefox's Preferences and manually edit my "Forms and Autofill" to fix my address and credit card meta data manually so it would stop mangling it everywhere. It got a lot of bad / partial saves from places somehow.