So the most exciting piece of silicon is not from Intel, AMD or NVidia, but Apple????

For the first time in forever I've been really jazzed about some unexpected hardware news. I used to obsess tirelessly over AMD, Intel and NVidia specs often making the argument that AMD was the pioneer and innovator that drove the market, and in the past few years I finally feel somewhat validated by AMD. What's fascinating though is the progression that I figured AMD would make in developing truly exciting cutting edge desktop class SOC's in a way that matters to enthusiasts and content creators. Well.... Apple is doing it, and my mind is kind of blown. The M1 Max is the most exciting thing to happen in computer hardware, maybe ever?? Consider it's power envelope, it's overall efficiency, it's ability to deliver high end graphics at 4K without the need for a discrete GPU. I figured AMD would get there first, they certainly have the engineering, I'm not sure if they lacked the vision, or if they are afraid of cannibalizing the discrete GPU space. Either way, I truly believe Apple has found the way forward in silicon design. If you would have told me this was going to happen when Apple said they were going to transition from Intel about a year ago, I'd of had a hard time believing it, but here we are. - https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/10/introducing-m1-pro-and-m1-max-the-most-powerful-chips-apple-has-ever-built/

Linc

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

So what happens to NVidia's business model when the next gen AMD and Intel chips also have high powered integrated video? I know that there will still be the top end of the market, but if this supplants the entire sub-$200 video card sector that is a lot of lost revenue for the GPU guys.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

I have a laptop with the M1 coming next week and am the most excited I've been about a new computer in many, many years.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

It's been running the glxgears demo (60% all-core CPU usage) all night, lid closed, no display sleep. It's barely warm to the touch, and I can only hear the fan if I put my ear 15cm away from the vents.

This is why I'm putting Linux on these machines :-)

Also, during that day-long initial bring-up stream last Monday, apparently it hadn't been charging, since I wasn't initializing the USB-PD controllers properly. So it basically ran for a whole day off of battery doing hardware experiments. Still had 30% left.

And this is all on an unoptimized early development Linux build.