Calling Icrontic's Entrepreneurs

Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian ScoundrelIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

So. The wife and I are going into Copywriting on a freelance basis! We've studied up, got a shmancy new Outlook E-Mail, working on socials and a website, and even have a designer on call. Almost ready to start pitching clients. We just have one question, taxation.

The course we took suggested forming a Sole Proprietorship or perhaps an LLC. We are going to contact my Step Sister-in-law, whom is a CPA. However, I seem to remember a few folks on here work for themselvs. So what do you reccommend, Sole Proprietorship, LLC, or us it even worth it at this stage so long as we put back the right amount for taxes? We hope to market as Neverland Copywriting.

[Deleted User]

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

Personally I'd start work as DBA ("doing business as" yourself) to avoid the complications of an LLC until you're sure revenue is high enough to offset the overhead of separating your taxes and banking.

CBMt_GoatCreeperbane2[Deleted User]
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I concur: don't create a legal structure based on what you think will happen. Just start doing business (DBA as Lincoln says) and if you make enough revenue, the need for an LLC will become apparent. There is zero benefit to creating an LLC to start, and only increases your complexity and costs.

Creeperbane2
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Thanks! I had a feeling an LLC would be overkill. Oh, and, hey, if you goys ever need some copy done drop me a line! I'll cut you a deal. :)