!! Far Cry Demo !!

TemplarTemplar You first.
edited January 2004 in Gaming
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=4439

This practically made my day :bigggrin: :bigggrin:

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Heard about it this-morning on Rage3D, but they said the servers were being hammered, so I didn't bother getting it.

If you are using an ATi card, turn off AA and AS because it hasn't been implemented into the game yet and screws everything up.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited January 2004
    AFAIK, this is right up with STALKER in terms of anticipation, so pretty much all mirrors will be hammered. Here's a BitTorrent link I found though:

http://www.filerush.com/torrents/DemoFarCry.zip.torrent

Cant wait till we get some multiplayer games going when they get that demo out :)
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    what kind of game is this? FPS? what about stalker? why are you excited about these games, I've never heard of either one, just curious.
    edited January 2004
    Jesus Christ, 1354 minute wait on Fileshack = Lame.
    Can you e-mail that middle torrent to ben@atomnet.co.uk and i'll mirror it as I can't access that file.

Kanez: You need to go read up on "S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Oblivion Lost".
    edited January 2004
    Doesn't work for me anymore either :( The first one still works though. Edited my post.

Kanez: Both are First person shooters. Far Cry is about you being on an Island trying to rid some uber-conglomerate or something-such. There's no story to it really.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Oblivion Lost is about you in the Chernobyl area after the incident. You make a living there by getting stuff from the area and surviving. It's basically an adventure game. It's supposed to be really innovative with some of the features they're putting in, but we won't know till it's out or a demo is released.
  • NeoFXNeoFX Utah, US of A
    edited January 2004
    Demo owned... played med. details at 1024x768 smooth throughout, hopefully the retail will run a little faster, but I was impressed none-the-less!

Impressive game! graphics and everything are amazing! The end sequence is sweet too, when you get to the tunnel, turn around and watch the fire chase you :D
    edited January 2004
    Just got finished with the demo level. The game has serious potential in terms of mods and in of itself. I doubt there'll be any community though, not on the scale of Quake or Half-Life. Too bad. This is really a good engine.

The AI displayed in the demo was strange. Sometimes they'd execute impressive tactics and bring me down (bah!) and other times, they just line up for slaughter or get stuck on a piece of geometry (This is most commonly noticed in the very first part. A guy will get stuck on the dock and twitch). They also jumped in the water and went for a swim, which I thought odd. Not like water is going to stop bullets, and certainly won't conceal you during the middle of the day. :rolleyes2

Hopefully they'll clean up the AI a bit for release. The level provided is impressive, though I was kinda annoyed when I realized I couldn't happily sail all the way around the island without getting popped by a helo. Just another fake boundry. I was hoping to have an island with the ability to choose my own route (and don't get me wrong, they do give you plenty of space to sneak around in), but things like that get on my nerves when I play a game that promotes big levels like that.
    edited January 2004
    I totally reinstalled it and left everything at default but set resolution to 1280x1024 and it runs better than when I had EVERYTHING on medium at 1024x768... I don't think you are supposed to mess with the "Custom" setting ones.

I have also heard that the beta ran alot smoother and loaded quicker than the demo... so retail may be a different story :D
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited January 2004
    OMG, Its runs not too bad on my Good Ol'GF3, they have done a great job on the engine.
    For the download, Filefront worked great for me...
    edited January 2004
    1280x1024
    Very high on most details. Some are set to just high. Runs smooth as butter. The mouse isn't as crisp as I prefer it, but since it's a sneaking game, doesn't matter much.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited January 2004
    Enverex wrote:
    Heard about it this-morning on Rage3D, but they said the servers were being hammered, so I didn't bother getting it.

If you are using an ATi card, turn off AA and AS because it hasn't been implemented into the game yet and screws everything up.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH makes sense now it looked more like a beta then a demo lol
    edited January 2004
    I'm going to regret this for bandwidth reasons, but on the other hand, whats the point in making an auto gallery without showing anyone...

Anyway, here are some screenshots of the demo incase you haven't played it yet - http://atomnet.co.uk/?p=gallery&name=Far%20Cry

I will probably add more if my computer doesn't crash before I save them :shakehead
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2004
    Game is fun. The mouse movement SUCKS hardcore. Feels like mouse acceleration is on.
    edited January 2004
    Wait... does "Smooth mouse" or "mouse acceleration" make it like that? I have always used the Smooth mouse stuff... Maybe I shall try it off.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2004
    I have all that stuff turned off in my windows settings. I havent checked the game for mouse settings. I like exact movement of the mouse, if I move it a certain distance, I want it to move that same distance no matter what speed I am moving it. Its just annoying =\
    edited January 2004
    I fixed my problem :D I am happy now...

There is (according to some guys on the Guru3d forums) a huge memory leak that supposedly tries to take up 700mb+ of ram sometimes so that results in huge fps droppage. Users with a gig or more of ram won't see the drops as much but users with 256mb or 512mb like me, it really hits hard...

My own problem was that I had been trying to install Starstorm drivers on top of each other without uninstalling between updates... This resulted in what I think was some driver "intermingling"

I totally uninstalled all vga drivers and installed the Starstorm 53.03x drivers and ran the game. 1024x768 and Custom/Medium settings. I get 60FPS + firefights I get high 40s and 50s. Inside places and "good spots" I get up to 100! Its amazing that drivers mingling together could screw that up this much!

You all may wanna try to do this if your getting really slow performance!