Radeon 7000 64m vs Nividia TNT2 64m

edited January 2004 in Hardware
Which is better? I have the AGP TNT2 in now. But I have a brand new PCI Radeon 7000 I had gotten for one of my kids pc. But the box is history. So I was wondering which I should use.

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    for games? if so, install 3dmark2001 and try it on both cards. I'm gonna guess at the rad 7000 being better in this case.
  • edited January 2004
    I forgot all about 3dmark2001, I have it on a disk some where. Have to dig it up. I got an AGP SIS 315 in my pc now I can test and make sure he has the better of the two remaining cards. Thanks
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited January 2004
    kanezfan wrote:
    for games? if so, install 3dmark2001 and try it on both cards. I'm gonna guess at the rad 7000 being better in this case.

Eh I believe I was trying to test my system when it had a radeon7500 & tnt2 pci in it and I wasn't able to run 3dmark2001. Or maybe it was 2003. Anyways, it might not run on 7500, 7000, tnt2, but I may be wrong.
    edited January 2004
    runs on my wifey's tnt2, i mean it runs like crap, but it runs. it was probably 2k3 that wouldn't run for you.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited January 2004
    Yea, now that I think about it I believe it was 2003 because I don't think I could get a version of 2001. My mistake.
  • edited January 2004
    I found my 3dmark2001. I tried to test the TNT2 but my system crashed. I then tried the Radeon 7000 and it crashed. I have a known bios issue. I am waiting on my bios upgrade to come in. I guess I will have to rely on recommendations till I am able to run the bench marks.
    edited January 2004
    there are other benchmarking programs out there. you could also just install a game like quake 3 arena and run the timedemo on it to see which card gets the higher FPS score.
  • edited January 2004
    I don't have quake. But I might be able to tell next time I play morrowind. It would hang a little which happens more with the lower cards and less with the higher end cards. I might notice a difference. Worth a try any ways. (not like I wasn't gonna play any ways)
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited January 2004
    Switching 3d cards from Nvidia to ATI or viceversa often cause problem.You should maybe try dowloading a driver uninstaller for both of these or try reformat. But that may be your bios. I would say the 7000 is the way to go, I'm not sure if its faster but it has a way better image quality than the TNT2, again, you can check benches on the net, I think Tom's hardware (wich is crap but...) has a big roundup that includes both cards.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I'm almost 100% positive that the 7000 will be better. It should be about on par with the Geforce 256, the next nVidia card up from the TNT2.

We're not talking craploads faster, but faster nonetheless (and with better image quality :D ).
  • edited January 2004
    I am going with Readon due to the recomendations here and what I've read on the net. I have had what seems to be no problems removing the Nividia installed software. So now I am left with another question. I have the TNT2 64m and a SIS 315 64m card. The SIS is in my kids machine now. I would think and just started to research, but the TNT2 would appear to be a bit better than the SIS. Any one got any thing to add. PS I was having problems with the system locking up once in a while before I decided to switch cards since I went to XP (I even got an windows error message stating my bios was accessing and illegal block address). I researched and I do need a bios upgrade to fix a few issues my older bios has with XP. I only put in the Readon after checking around and coming here first. But if I start having added problems I will know to check and make sure I still don't have any Nividia drivers hanging around. Thanks