If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Artistic or not?

Mt_GoatMt_Goat I am the hatchet man, look over your shoulder Icrontian

I have now tried something new to me. To do photography as art and not just capturing snapshots of life and the world. Below is something I saw as a chance at doing something different and a little abstract from my norm. Let me know what you think. And I will share how this was done, but it wasn't PS.

Gargoyle

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

Looks like road haze from the strip and the top fuel vehicle with a relatively shallow depth of field.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Interesting, but a little jarring. There's not enough of the in-focus foreground to really indicate it's an intentional part of the photo to me. If the intent is to highlight/separate the tail, I feel like it needs to be a bigger part of the whole a la rule of thirds.

Agree that it can look like heat mirage given the context, which is a neat effect. If you had the entire car in focus and the background gradually transitioned to this, that would be the exact phenomenon I'd associate with it.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat I am the hatchet man, look over your shoulder Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Looks like road haze from the strip and the top fuel vehicle with a relatively shallow depth of field.

@Thrax You are close on part and the DOF doesn't really come into play much as I was at f/8 and the dragster was about 70% of the distance between the camera and background.

The distortion was 100% from the car in the picture. It was producing an extremely large amount of 11,000°f exhaust as a result of burning Nitromethane ( CH3NO2 ). I saw it as a chance to combine the dragster wing and the totally distorted crowd in the background.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I saw what you were going for right away - the distortion from heat making the picture feel more alive since it's racing. However, I agree with Snark in that more of the car would have been even better for context. Cool shot, Larry!

BuddyJ
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

I get what you were going for, but unfortunately, since the entire crowd is obscured by the heat shimmer it looks like it was done in post.

If there's a way to capture it (maybe with a larger FOV) so you can see some clarity as well as the heat, that might strengthen the overall effect. Maybe catching the very back quarter of the dragster with the tips of the exhaust would help with that, but might put too much of the car in frame for what you're looking for.

edited Nov 2015

@AlexDeGruven said:
    I get what you were going for, but unfortunately, since the entire crowd is obscured by the heat shimmer it looks like it was done in post.

If there's a way to capture it (maybe with a larger FOV) so you can see some clarity as well as the heat, that might strengthen the overall effect. Maybe catching the very back quarter of the dragster with the tips of the exhaust would help with that, but might put too much of the car in frame for what you're looking for.

You are exactly correct.

135mm, ISO 160, 1600/sec, f/8..

That is a crop of a larger picture and I really liked the distortion but nothing was available to get the parts you were talking about to fit comfortably. It really sucks to not have full access to take pictures from better locations as a spectator.

@Snarkasm said:
    Interesting, but a little jarring. There's not enough of the in-focus foreground to really indicate it's an intentional part of the photo to me. If the intent is to highlight/separate the tail, I feel like it needs to be a bigger part of the whole a la rule of thirds.

Agree that it can look like heat mirage given the context, which is a neat effect. If you had the entire car in focus and the background gradually transitioned to this, that would be the exact phenomenon I'd associate with it.

@Snarkasm I totally agree with you. I only added the tail to place the picure, which apparently isn't enough.

How about an alternative crop?

Definitely really like what you're going for. Even the guys in the midground are muddled enough to make the effect pop, so maybe this works towards your goal?

Mt_GoatprimesuspectBobbyDigiGargoyle
    edited Nov 2015

@Snarkasm Yes, that works quite well. I think I was too focused on the distortion and discounted the bigger picture! Deciding where the crop line should be is definitely subjective and really makes an impact on the final outcome. Thanks. :thumbsup: !

p2.jpg 813.5K
    p3.jpg 496.7K
    SnarkasmprimesuspectAlexDeGruvenBobbyDigi

In the bottom crop above I truly went with thirds in regard to clear, mid and full distorted background.

Very nice! :D

Mt_Goat
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Belkan Air Force 22nd Air Div. 4th Tactical Fighter Sqn. Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

I will say this. With the first pic you posted, @Mt_Goat , I didn't know what you were trying to go for. Now with the new crops, I can finally see (with observation of tire deformation and the small puff of flame from Antron Brown's car) that you are trying to capture what I like to call the "moment of launch", that moment when the yellow lights are up and the green is just a split second from popping up and the drivers put the throttle down. Great job. Those are hard to catch.

Mt_Goat
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

Dat tire fold though.

I see what you were going for with the crop but I think it is a great shot as a whole.

-Digi

Mt_Goat

@aspieRommel said:
    I will say this. With the first pic you posted, Mt_Goat , I didn't know what you were trying to go for. Now with the new crops, I can finally see (with observation of tire deformation and the small puff of flame from Antron Brown's car) that you are trying to capture what I like to call the "moment of launch", that moment when the yellow lights are up and the green is just a split second from popping up and the drivers put the throttle down. Great job. Those are hard to catch.

And the launch shots got even harder after they went to the new Christmas tree last year. Because now you cannot see the stage lights unless you are in front of or behind it. So now I have the reaction time to anticipate like the racers but without the lights. I had used my 5D Mk II and 135mm f/2L and 35mm f/1.4L for this event as I was trying to travel as light as possible. The best way for someone like me without a 'media' pass is to go farther down the track with my 1DX or 1D Mk III and 300mm or 400mm lens. Using the 1D series cameras gives you the luxury of holding the shutter button down and blasting through the entire stage and launch @10 to 12fps. That also catches things the eye often misses and is how the pros get those awesome shots. If I could ever get a media pass, I would take my 1DX, 1D Mk III, 5D Mk II and 4 lenses just like the pros do.

edited May 2016

More from the strip. How to handle a rainy day.

UPSLynxSonorousGargoyle
    edited Sep 2016

Are my efforts getting any better? The biggest problem with taking pics at the drag races is all the clutter. It is next to impossible to get away from. These are from Indy on Labor Day. I know I was going to take @aspieRommel until I had to handle an emergency at work. But my guys were able to take care of business before I got there. So I was able to get to the races on Monday and sadly missed Sunday with @aspieRommel.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia Icrontian

Not sure what it is about your photography of race cars, but you seem to be capable of capturing more color in your photos than I think I have ever seen. Colors really seem to pop out at me. Maybe it's in my head, but it doesn't seem typical of this subject matter. I would be curious to see how you could approach race photography with a macro lens or in that vein. Not that what you are doing is bad or you should do macro instead or anything, just curious what the potential is.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I think the "clutter" in this case adds to the ambience and immersion of the photos. I really get a sense of being there; the rumble, the smell, the crowd. You're definitely improving, Larry :)

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Dem boots!

{deeeeeep breath} I love the smell of nitro in the morning!

Mt_GoatBobbyDigi

@Ryder said:
    Dem boots!

{deeeeeep breath} I love the smell of nitro in the morning!

I totally agree! The only thing that makes it better is after it swirls with liquified rubber and brats.

Dem boots are on my desktop.

edited Sep 2016

@primesuspect said:
    I think the "clutter" in this case adds to the ambience and immersion of the photos. I really get a sense of being there; the rumble, the smell, the crowd. You're definitely improving, Larry :)

Some is good and adds as you say. But ordinary vehicles and the paid 'media' photogs really screw up a lot of shots. It just drives me crazy. Actually these are some of my best non cluttered pics yet. I played with elevation to achieve it here.

primesuspect
    edited Sep 2016

@Sonorous said:
    Not sure what it is about your photography of race cars, but you seem to be capable of capturing more color in your photos than I think I have ever seen. Colors really seem to pop out at me. Maybe it's in my head, but it doesn't seem typical of this subject matter. I would be curious to see how you could approach race photography with a macro lens or in that vein. Not that what you are doing is bad or you should do macro instead or anything, just curious what the potential is.

Hmmm, I think my distain of dull race cars makes me push harder to get more color. I also have invested in some top end glass and try to use the light to as much of my advantage as I can. I also push a little but not a lot in post.

BTW the first pic of the Mustang is as shot other than a minor trim job.

Sonorousprimesuspect

I never thought it while looking at the latest batch on my screen but now after seeing them in this thread is making me wonder. Is my head full of helium or are these really pro looking? I'm not petting myself but it just hit me. :scratch: