If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

IvanIvan Icrontian
This discussion was created from comments split from: "I'm not eating any porch bread!".

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Why did @Linc 's avatar change only in the forum posts?

SnarkasmGnomeQueen
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Ryder said:

...what?

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

You're showing up as a red-background green face here.

^^ what he said. Your Avatar is normal in your profile, but not in the forum posts.
    I even went to a browser I never use, don't think it is a cache problem.

• GargoyleGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Illinois Icrontian

@Linc said:

@Ryder said:

...what?

You only have the tildemouth avatar in the non-mobile view:

Confirmed, looks fine in Mobile, not in Chrome or Edge.

• ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian

Same here, red-background green face.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

I see normal avatar on both mobile and Chrome on PC both in and out of threads.

Maybe something blocking Gravatar from those not seeing it?

-Digi

Linc
    edited 23 Feb

I turned off Privacy badger and ABP, no change.

I dunno, weird shit

It isn't just his recent posts either... every thread he started now has that Avatar:

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Lol only Icrontic. Minor display bug turns into most popular discussion thread of the day

CB
    edited 23 Feb

Are you guys using an ad blocker that just decided to eat Gravatar today? I haven't changed a damn thing and cannot reproduce this in anything.

_k

Except when I follow that URL... it's my correct avatar.

Turning off your blocker addon alone wouldn't likely invalidate your caching of the Vanillicon backup as my avatar.

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

Even more amusing: I have a chrome addon that expands any image into its full dimensions (up to the resolution limit of the display). When I mouse over Linc's newly-minted plain avatar... it expands into his correct avatar.

Chrome. No ad blocking enabled. Cache cleared.

That may be it, but I haven't changed anything with my adblocker or privacy badger in months either.
    Your Avatar was fine 2 days ago.

Also, I went to Icrontic in Microsoft Edge (which has no extensions/add ons) and it is there. I also turned my laptop on (hasn't been on in about 3 months) and same Vanilla Avatar.

It isn't just me, but it isn't everybody, very strange.
    If nothing is broken, then just ignore it, I will live. I was just bringing weirdness to your attention.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

We had a dev using privacy badger that started having issues with our site today. I'm gonna guess they got restrictive on something today that is linked to this.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

I'm seeing the same thing, and I don't have any badgers associated with my computer.

@Tushon said:
    We had a dev using privacy badger that started having issues with our site today. I'm gonna guess they got restrictive on something today that is linked to this.

I cannot understate how many support tickets we get at Vanilla from peoples' ad blockers updating one day and breaking something that was previously fine.

It can't be adblocking. It's literally only your avatar. A lot of people use gravatars but it's only your icon that is messing up.

RyderGnomeQueen

@primesuspect said:
    It can't be adblocking. It's literally only your avatar. A lot of people use gravatars but it's only your icon that is messing up.

On this site? Who?

My latest theory is that Gravatar's caching had a derp and some of you are auto-connecting to that derped server. If that's the case it should resolve itself in whatever timeframe their cache breaks.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

I kind of imagine @Linc face looking like the red background green-face while thinking about this problem of his avatar being the red background green-face.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    Lol only Icrontic. Minor display bug turns into most popular discussion thread of the day

Techs Troubleshooting a Technical problem on a Tech Troubleshooting site?

Troubleshoot.

-Tech

Gargoyle
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited 24 Feb

@Linc said:

@primesuspect said:

On this site? Who?

My latest theory is that Gravatar's caching had a derp and some of you are auto-connecting to that derped server. If that's the case it should resolve itself in whatever timeframe their cache breaks.

Doubtful, it has been like this for days here (I just assumed you changed your avatar). I also just checked it in Chrome on my workstation, which has no plugins and I have never used to visit Icrontic so there is no way that anything was cached in it... I get the green-faced red background avatar thingy there as well. Something much more odd is up.

Edit to say, I'm not saying it's definitely not a bad Gravatar CDN node or something like that, but all indications point to it not just resolving itself at a cache timeout. I doubt Gravatar has a multi-day long caches.

GnomeQueen
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja I don't know how to not Icrontian

Modern image CDN deliver different images depending on your browser, dpi, and the GET requests header info to optimize for speed. This is a bug with gravatar most likely.

BobbyDigi