If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Time for TKR

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville with a "P" Icrontian

For the past year I have been suffering with pain, pops and an increasingly difficult time walking. So I just started the ball rolling to have my right knee replaced through surgery. The MRI today showed that my right Tibia is basically mushrooming and getting weaker structurally. In addition the quads in my right thigh have become a mess since I have not been walking correctly. So now I am waiting for the surgeon to have it scheduled.

TushonprimesuspectMassalinie

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Well, I hope it goes as smoothly as possible and that your (newly?) bionic self is stronger than any version before.

Mt_Goat
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Oh man, keep us up to date, mtgoat. I've seen people with both hip and knee replacements make absolutely flawless recoveries and in fact be even more mobile than they were before the surgery. Science is great!

Mt_GoatBuddyJ
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville with a "P" Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    Oh man, keep us up to date, mtgoat. I've seen people with both hip and knee replacements make absolutely flawless recoveries and in fact be even more mobile than they were before the surgery. Science is great!

I keep running into people telling me just that. And it is amazing how many I have talked to in the past 2 weeks that have either had the surgery or knew someone that has done it. I know anything is better then where i am now.

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian

My dad recently had a knee replacement. Without sugarcoating, he was in pain for a bit afterward, but is incredibly happy with the results. Definitely more mobile! He's going in for the other knee within the next 6-8 months, if that says anything. I hope it all goes well for you. I agree with prime: science is pretty awesome. :)

Mt_Goat
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Aunt-in-law had her knee replaced a month or two ago and says (and you hear this from everybody) that she wished she had done it sooner. Good on you, Goat - get through surgery and I bet you'll feel a ton better. Best of luck.

Mt_Goat

Maybe I can do a Macro Photo Expose' of the experience! ;)

Snarkasm
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

A cousin has had both knees done in the last 18 months to 2 years. It has made all the difference in her everyday-life. She, like others, says she should have done it sooner. It's great to walk without pain. Good luck to you.

Mt_Goat

Well, I went for my presurgery exam today and the doc asked what muscles in my thigh were bothering me when I brought it up again. He got this suspicious look on his face and sent me down the hall for a hip x-ray. Much to my surprise my hip is totally shot! So now the knee surgery is being replaced by a hip replacement. Then in 4 to 6 months he will do my knee. :-/ Right when I thought it was going to be not too bad I got hit with a double whammy.

CBprimesuspect
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

As part of your recovery process, ask about cold therapy and getting a Dr's note for a device - they work wonders.

Mt_Goat
    edited 4 Jan

Went in for a follow up appointment to schedule the hip replacement. Since the surgery has changed i dont get the same slot as I originally had, so i now have to wait till the end of January. Here are the xrays. In the bilateral view the bad one is on the left.

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

Haha, I can see ur dookie

@Thrax said:
    Haha, I can see ur dookie

Some peoples children! dookie? :scratch:
    If you can see anything now, it is the poop I was holding till later.

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

LOL. Excellent edit, my man. Yeah, that hip is in need of some TLC. My wife says hip replacements are just incredible these days, and recovery time has never been shorter. Take your NSAIDs, get out of bed ASAP, and you'll do awesome. :)

Mt_Goat

I legit LOL'ed when @Mt_Goat said "SOME PEOPLE'S CHILDREN!"

Mt_Goat

I mad e the original post from my phone as I snapped the pic while waiting for the doc. Then when I looked later and saw the post from @Thrax I saw the evidence plain as day on my laptop. I really thank Rob for calling me on it as I didn't want to end up being labeled as "The Morkis with the Dorkis". The image actually reminded me of the nose on the Dan Akroid character in Nothing but Trouble.

I am scheduled for the morning of Febuary 7. Yesterday I went in for pretesting and got the green light. I also got my cold therapy machine, potty riser and shower chair.

primesuspectBobbyDigiKwitko
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Speedy recovery!

Mt_Goat

Thank you all for the wellwishes. It all went well. Now for a sexy hospital pic.

RyderKwitkoprimesuspectdrasnorCycloniteBobbyDigi
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Yay for recovery. Glad everything went well.

edited 8 Feb

Take it easy and rest up, don't slack off on your physical therapy, drink lots of water, and know that we are all excited for your new BETTER, STRONGER, FASTER cyborg hip! 😁

Mt_Goat
    edited 8 Feb

@primesuspect said:
    Take it easy and rest up, don't slack off on your physical therapy, drink lots of water, and know that we are all excited for your new BETTER, STRONGER, FASTER cyborg hip! 😁

I am being released today! PT has already had me walk down the hall a few times and make sure i can get on and off the toilet. I already feel better than before the surgery. While doing this post PT showed up again. I walked 200 feet and went up and down steps. I am now one more step closer to Borg unity. :) 7 of 11 out for now.

RyderprimesuspectCBBuddyJ

I was released the day after surgery (Thursday) and had 2 home PT sessions so far. While in the hospital I refused all offers of Opioid pain meds. I really dont like the side effects and didnt feel like i needed them as my pain was never over 3 on the pain scale. Some extra doc the hospital appionted wrote a script for 20 Oxycontin that i tore up, took a pic of and threw away. Otherwise the only discomfort is from being cold as a lingering effect of anesthisia.

Ryderprimesuspect

Today I was released from in home therapy. The therapist said was doing better than all their other patients and I also had the best attitude. On Friday I go for my post-op doctor visit where I find out if and how much out patient PT I need. I also expect to be cleared to drive. So far I can do most things normal again, can walk all the way around the block, get in and out of a vehicle and sit down in a chair without assistance. Oh yeah, I gave up the walker about a week ago and use a cane mostly for peace of mind. Resistance is futile.

Ryderprimesuspect

Oh yeah, no more running, jumping, jumping out of airplanes, kicking balls, roller coasters, high impact activities and I need to be careful of falls for ever more. So that's why the Borg move slow.

NO MORE ROLLER COASTERS?

Mt_Goat
    edited 21 Feb

@primesuspect said:
    NO MORE ROLLER COASTERS?

Yes, the bumping and jarring can cause the Borg implant to loosen or shift out of place. I am working on coming to peace with the restrictions.

On the other hand, it feels so good now. I think the trade off is worth it!

primesuspectCBdrasnor
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited 23 Feb

What if there were no bumping or jarring? Are you good with steadily-increasing loads of up to five times your body weight while lying on your back for several minutes at a time? Just curious.

CB
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

Ron Jeremy said:
    What if there were no bumping or jarring? Are you good with steadily-increasing loads of up to five times your body weight while lying on your back for several minutes at a time? Just curious.

Funny how context changes things.

-Digi

RyderBasilMt_Goat
    edited 24 Feb

a Rocket Scientist said:
    What if there were no bumping or jarring? Are you good with steadily-increasing loads of up to five times your body weight while lying on your back for several minutes at a time? Just curious as we have a one way seat to Mars with your name on it.

I was hoping more for a well bolstered seat, 5 way harness and just shy of 3G's on my way to 150ish in just over 9 seconds. ;)

drasnor