If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILER THREAD)

UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer GraphicsRedwood City, CA Icrontian

Tonight I was fortunate enough to join my co-workers at an industry preview showing of Solo at Lucasfilm / Industrial Light and Magic at the Presidio in San Francisco. Not my first time here, but I promise you every visit makes you feel like a child on Christmas.

I was absolutely convinced that this movie was going to be garbage. Some of my co-workers went to Lucasfilm to see a plot overview so they could work on marketing and they all came back underwhelmed. The overall buzz on the internet around Alden Ehrenreich's performance and other little things of the type further squealched my hopes for this film. I was as ho-hum about this movie as you could possibly be for something with the Star Wars name on it.

Boy was I wrong.

Solo was a blast. Not a critically important film, or even a story that needed to be told. But man, it was just SO MUCH FUN. I felt like it was the MCU movie of the Star Wars universe. Heavy on action, one-liners and silly moments, yet endlessly entertaining from start to finish.

Prime has previously said that Star Wars main character is, from certain points of view, the Millennium Falcon. Solo tells the origin story of the Falcon. I love how they treated that ship, as a pristine, Corellian freighter with all the highest technology of the time. Slowly being beat to pieces over the course of the movie. Such a treat to see that ship in such detail.

The acting was such a non-issue for me compared to what I expected. Alden made for an excellent portrayal of a young Han Solo, going through experiences that eventually lead him to become the hardened, trust no one Han we know from the original trilogy. He wasn't perfect, but I think he was casted well.

Donald Glover, however, absolutely NAILED it as Lando. Holy cow. It was as if they went back in time, plucked a young Billy Dee Williams out of his seat, and brought him forward to act in this film. The sound of his voice, his mannerisms, the way he looked and reacted to things.... absolutely perfect casting for young Lando. Watching the way his "friendship" blossoms with Han is so good.

Chewbacca, also, is such a treat in this film. Watching the bond between him and Han form and strengthen is SO GOOD. It's so crazy to see so much depth added to a character that can't even speak in a way that we can understand. Loved it. Chewie is a star in this movie.

Overall I had a blast watching the film. The first 3rd of the film drags a little, but the 2nd and 3rd acts really pick up the pace. Like Rogue One, I enjoyed seeing planets under control of the Empire at the peak of their power. Also, holy balls Darth Maul lives. Are you kidding me. The gasps in the theater.... No one saw that coming.

Really my only complain was the whole implication that Han basically kickstarted and funded the Rebellion. I love the idea that it's something he's never wanted to directly be a part of, but has never truly been able to escape it. But it felt so tongue in cheek at the end of that movie. It was a bit much.

I'm anxious to see it again. There are so many moments for hard core fans (Chewie being defeated by Beckett at Dejarik via the SAME MOVE that R2-D2 gets him with in A New Hope was PERFECT). Good stuff.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited 25 May

I absolutely fucking loved it. LOVED it. It was so much better than I had hoped.

Four moments that really, really sealed the deal for me:

• The MUSIC when Chewie and Han first took their "proper" seats. Unreal. Chills forever.
    • The Darth Maul reveal holy fuck... Nobody was expecting that
    • HAN SPEAKING WOOKIEE
    • We now know exactly what making the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs entails.

Other delights:

Teras Kasi on screen
    A "big job" on Tatooine
    Wookiees are known to tear your arms off
    The beginnings of the rebellion
    The pristine, brand new Falcon

It was just so much to take in. I can't wait to see it again!

UPSLynx
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian

Alrighty, random thoughts before I pass out -

I liked it. I think I like Rogue 1 more but still liked it.

I totally thought Alden was going to suck but he didn't and in the end I liked his portrayal of Solo better than Glover for Lando. Something off on the Glover one for me, not quite sure what it is. Total flip flop for me as I thought Glover was going to be the best. Liked Clarke and Woody as well.

Agree with Prime on his "delights" list. Definitely did it for me. The Rebellion part was a nice touch, although I don't know how I feel with Han's fingerprints being all over it.

They DID make a parsec distance I guess. Taking the shortcut = shorter distance... "Round Down" classic Han. They just did a great job with all that sort of detail, loved it.

Good fanservice, not too obvious. Bossk mention, Chewie space chess loss, all great.

Dark Side Brian thinks Darth Maul should have been Jar-Jar. THEN the theatre would have gasped. It's as if a million nerds cried out at once.... Meesa thinkin yousa fails me Q'ira....

Now I'm really intrigued on the whole Q'ira / Maul storyline, although I've never been too happy with the cut in half and fell down a reactor shaft resurrection..... When it happened though I went straight to my old canon brain, is Q'ira actually Mara?

HanShootsFirst4Ever

UPSLynxprimesuspect
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited 25 May

@primesuspect said:

• The Darth Maul reveal holy fuck... Nobody was expecting that
    • We now know exactly what making the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs entails.

Two of my favorite moments as well. That Darth Maul scene... holy balls. It took me a minute to connect the fact that he had robot legs and waist because, you know, cut off and stuff. So dope. Lines up well with Rebels, too.

What I love the most about the Kessel run bit is that not only did they cheat, but boasting about the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs is such a Han thing to do because it turns out, the Kessel Run is not really a thing. Like yeah, they did it quickly, and they had to cheat, but from the way the movie displays it, this is not a leaderboard with people competing for the best time. It's just a thing Han cheated his way into having a fast time, and of course he boasts about it to everyone to make it sound like an even bigger deal. So Han. So good.

Also yeah, I geeked out hard when they mentioned Teras Kasi. That's nerd AF.

One really fun fact about the Maul reveal - like I said earlier, a few of my friends from work got to see a full story storyboard presentation so they could work on marketing materials for the Solo season of content for Battlefront 2. They all came away underwhelmed. Turns out that's party due to the fact that they hid all the major twists from the team during the presentation so they wouldn't leak anything. So EVERYONE at the preview showing was shocked at the Maul scene. The crowd reaction was so much fun.

primesuspect
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I love that they left Qi'ra's dark past between Han's departure and reintroduction with her a secret in this film. Instead of telling us that she killed babies or poisoned a water hole and destroyed a civilization, they keep her off screen wrongdoings a secret. And you're led to believe it's bad "mob stuff" and deep down you think ahhh man, it can't be that bad. Surely she can be redeemed. And you ride that train the entire film because that's a story we've all seen before.

But then you get to the finale, and you figure out that the "You KNOW who I report to" quote (or something like that) is actually referring to Darth effing Maul. And then you connect the dots and you realize that her wrongdoings are SITH LEVEL ISH. That's bad. REALLY bad. That moment hits you like a ton of bricks, and you realize you subconsciously underestimated just how bad the things she's done really are. These are not kid gloves. She's done some BAD STUFF. Makes her exit that much more powerful. I loved it.

primesuspectRyanFodder

ALSO ALSO!

How good is it that they reproduced the original mispronunciations of various names from the original trilogy in this movie and gave them meaning? We had Lando call Han "Haan" (like HANd) as if he was making fun of him, and then had Han call the Millennium Falcon the "fallcon". They basically took mis-reads of names from the 1980's and made them make sense in a canonical sense. Such a nice little detail.

primesuspectRyanFodder

Well, it's confirmed that Alden is signed up for two more movies, and I am SO here for a Han Solo trilogy that completes the story arc of Qi'ra and Darth Maul... holy shit.

You know damn well that at the very end of Solo 3, he's gonna be seen walking into the Cantina. HRRNNNNGGGGGG

UPSLynx

Lando: "Mining colonies are the worst"

Nicole after the movie: "Lando is a droidfucker"

Kwitko
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

OMG. That was amazing. Also D-Box made it so much better.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

Oh man, this was so much fun.

I had some confusion about Maul before I got to this thread for 2 reasons: I totally missed the robot legs, and he's credited as Maul, not Darth Maul.

Both of these make sense, and I was placing this movie before Ep1 in my head until that clicked. He wouldn't be Darth Maul in this part of the timeline because he's no longer a sith, which is where the Darth prename comes from. Cool.

Other stuff:

• LOVED the first interaction with Han and Chewie
    • Disappointed Thandie Newton wasn't bigger because she's so amazing (seriously, watch Westworld and tell me I'm wrong)
    • Lando. SO GOOD. Donald Glover just exudes the kind of cool that makes him who he is
    • Brand new Falcon with escape pod. So much love. Everything so fresh and clean.
    • I can't wait for more
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

That movie was so good. Felt very Young Indiana Jonesesque.

Stuff I liked that was just stuff:

• I loved that Han shot first at the end, like, it was a big "fuck you" to Lucas for changing it during the remaster.
    • Donald Glover was PERFECT, like beyond perfect, all the mannerisms, the voice, everything, just perfect.
    • Han finding Lando cheating and winning the Falcon because he takes that away from his was so good.
    • Ray Park playing the body of Maul was awesome.

Plot/story stuff that was cool:

• How Han and Chewie met, there was a story about how Chewie met Han when he was a child, but I liked this version a lot better
    • Losing to Lando because he was cheating and then beating him cause he finds out how he was cheating
    • The lead up to Jabba
    • The subtle stuff to links to Rebels and Clone Wars

I want to see it again, I think I missed some stuff.

I want a pair of those dice.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

So many nods to the original trilogy:

• Warwick Davis
    • Empire architecture
    • Beckett's helmet when they go to Kessel (same one Lando wears on the skiff in RotJ)
    • mention of Bossk
    • Han having a good- rather than bad- feeling about this
    • The smuggling compartments on the Falcon
    • Chewie pretending to be a slave/prisoner in binders
    • Han getting interrupted while in a passionate embrace
    • The radar dish getting busted off of the Falcon
    • The maelstrom was just like Han flying through the asteroid field
    • Chewie carrying L3 like he carried C3PO
    • Trying to escape from the bad guys on Corelia but then things go south (think of Han preparing to make the jump to hyperspace in ESB)

The imagery on Corelia was amazing. Seeing the ships being constructed was a trip. The Kessel spice mines were also amazing. I would take 50 parsecs to get there if I had to.

primesuspect
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

I did like how they finally "explained" the 12 parsecs thing. I mean, it's still a bit weak because choosing a shorter path isn't indicative of speed, even if it is a more dangerous route.

I need to grab another showing of this to catch some more fun bits.

Oh, look! New printing project: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2868252

The Falcon's engine-failing sound right when they need it most. I LOLed in the theater.

Thinking more about Maul.

I think it sets up a good dynamic for Han's eventual spiral into downright scoundrel territory. At the end of Solo, he was still pretty much a good guy doing bad things for good reasons.

But now that Qi'ra has taken over for Dryden Vos and is subject to Maul's demands, I can see a path they could take that would dramatically shift Han's outlook on the universe.

At some point, Maul will require something of Qi'ra that will put her directly at odds with Han (or vice versa), and this conflict will end up in her death, which will break him, and turn him into the Han Solo we see at the Mos Eisley cantina. This may or may not be a part of the Jabba problem, but even that could be a different part of the arc.

Maybe Maul and the Hutts are two sides on a particular job and Han has to decide where his loyalty lies.

The more I think about it, the more I enjoy the path this movie started down.

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:

Would like to request a pair

edited 30 May

@DontCallMeKelso said:

@AlexDeGruven said:

Would like to request a pair

Noted.

I'm also looking into a way I can make them weighted, since just printed won't have much heft. But too much weight would make them damage themselves with impacts.

DontCallMeKelsoCliff_Forster
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

It was entertaining, but my second least favorite Star Wars film overall. Thr best and worst part: many interesting fan service-y tips of the hand towards other SW EU stories I wish I was seeing instead.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian

I finally got to see it tonight. It was absolutely everything I wanted. It was charming, entertaining as hell, Ron Howard didn't make a slow boring ass Ron Howard style film (That was my fear going in). I think far too much criticism has fallen on the shoulders of Alden Ehrenreich. He isn't just good, he is fantastic. Half way through the film I forgot that Harrison Ford was Han Solo. I didn't think that was going to be possible, to just kind of have that out of body experience where you just drift into the film and not think too much about it, but I did. I thought Ehrenreich took that character and did just enough to tie it in, while avoiding a bad impression, he made that role work for him.

I also thought every single new character introduced was in some way reasonably interesting. I want to know more about Rio. Becket and Val, I'll take a comic or cartoon or whatever following them for some space pirate adventures. Is it possible that L3 is actually cooler than K2S0? They seriously topped themselves on this one.

primesuspect
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Cliff_ForsterprimesuspectSoda
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian

A nice departure and huge improvement from the EU fiction is they destroyed the idea that Chewbacca followed Han around due to some life debt. I always thought it was a lousy idea that somehow Chewie follows Han around because he feels indebted to him for saving him when Han was part of the Imperial army and there is some obscenely stupid Wookie ritual where you have to be in debt forever when someone does some nice shit for you. It seems way too primitive for a species that is shown to be very advanced. I hated the idea that Han is Chewie's owner or something to that effect. Very intentionally during the scene with the revolt Han and Chewbacca have a moment, and Han is like, do what you gotta do Bro, go help your people, Good luck... and in the end, Chewie goes back to Han not because he has to, but because where else is he going to have as much fun? Like it's a serious moment of contemplation, like I can hang with my Wookie peeps or follow Han into whatever trouble he is about to get into, and Chewie chooses trouble, because that's what he is into. Han and Chewie are troublemakers, it's what they do, and Chewie knows they are better together. It just establishes that relationship on the basis of real friendship and not some silly ritual making Chewie Han's eternal slave.

• SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian

I don't know, I've read a lot of old EU fiction and the impression was always that Chewie started follwing Han because of the debt, but after a while they were basically just brothers for a lot of the reasons you described. That said, I think it's a bit overly complicated and doesn't really add that much to the characters or story while requiring additional explanation time during the movie, so I'm fine they ditched it.