If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

How technology moves on...

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited Jun 2003 in The Pub
Im sitting my local pub (bar) havin some food, posting on my nokia communicator... typing this message. Ahh, hasn't technology changed??_Who here, would have thought a little cellphone would be able to allow me to post this message?_

Ok.. so it's GSM speed (9.6k ISDN... lol) but still.. my mini-webbrowser...which supports javascript, cookies & flash.. allows this?!

Hell... I can even SSH into my home Linux box and work on it!

Who would have thought it would have got this stage??_

Comments

• AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited Jun 2003
    You think of technology now and it being so awesome, just think of whats coming next... you can only wonder.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina
    edited Jun 2003
    Very true. Technology has changed at such a fast pace, that the future could mean just next month or so. I mean they got cell phones that can take pictures, it's amazing at what you can do these days.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Jun 2003
    For years I was thinking to myself "soon, soon, very soon now" but now we're AT that point.. The future is now, and all those things that we kept hearing about in the late 80's and early 90's are finally reality. It is a fantastic time to be a geek.
  • CycloniteCyclonite
    likes being a geek. :D

//Edit: Hit the wrong letter... Thanks, mmonnin... :banghead:
    Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited Jun 2003
    likes being a geek. :D

//Edit: Hit the wrong letter... Thanks, mmonnin... :banghead:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited Jun 2003
    Trekky8472 said
    * Trekky8472 liked being a geek. :D

Liked?? Oh I still think you are. If you visit theses forums much at all you are on.;)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited Jun 2003
    All I want is a damned HoloSuite from Star Trek. I would then build my home from that, be able to design every feature of it, every aspect, but most of the time, it will be my play ground for the Virtual BattleField!
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Member
    edited Jun 2003
    RWB said
    All I want is a damned HoloSuite from Star Trek. I would then build my home from that, be able to design every feature of it, every aspect, but most of the time, it will be my play ground for the Virtual BattleField!

Cheers to that!!! The first thing I would have is a jam session with Jimi Hendrix!:cool:" alt=":cool:" />

Cool stuff Shorty, even when you're not around, you're around.:)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited Jun 2003
    mmonnin said
    Trekky8472 said
    * Trekky8472 liked being a geek. :D

Liked?? Oh I still think you are. If you visit theses forums much at all you are on.;)

Doh! I always hit teh "D" when I mean to hit the "S."

/me likeS being a geek...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited Jun 2003
    I have held off on the web phone, PDA and other new gizmoes. I want to be able to carry one device, OK make that two. A cell phone/PDA thing that mates with my notebook computer.

The problem with phone service in the US is that you can't get special services in 85% of the country and no one company can even give you basic phone service in every major city. One case where competition didn't bread a better situation yet.
  • diabx0rdiabx0r The 7th layer of friggin' hell (Bastrop, TX)
    edited Jun 2003
    :nudge: :beer:" alt=":beer:" />

lol
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    This seems very relevant right now.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian
    We still need a new name for these devices. 'phone' simply doesn't cut it anymore.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    I believe the word is "smartphone."
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    I call mine Snuffleupagus
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian
    edited Mar 2012
    I believe the word is "smartphone."
    It's not just a phone that's smarter, it's an entirely different device now. Telephony is only about 5% of what I use mine for, if that. It doesn't deserve 50% share in the device name.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    I think we all know that CB is talking about the original Palm Pilot
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    I'm still waiting on flying cars..
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I think we all know that CB is talking about the original Palm Pilot
    I'm pretty sure CB used to have one of those... I know he carried a Palm of some sort around for awhile...

• I was just thinking the other night how amazing it is that I could be playing a game (Kid Icarus), that looks at least as good as something on GameCube, in glasses-free 3D on a handheld device that connects to the internet without wires. It really makes me starry-eyed when I stop and think about this stuff. "What would a 10 year old me think about this?"
    Oh my gawd if 10 year old me could see 34 year old me, with the ability to play almost EVERY SINGLE NES and SNES GAME EVER MADE in a single device, 10 year old me would shit himself.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Watching the mere mortals in chaos from high atop Mt. Olympus Icrontian
    I'm still waiting on flying cars..
    That has been my dream since childhood! I always wanted George jetson's car.

But to think that what used to be just a phone:

* now takes as good pictures as the average pocket camera
    * is better than a lot of video cameras
    * is smarter than my old PDA ever thought of being
    * plays my favorite music as good as any mp3 player
    * and also gives me news, weather, stocks, radio, movies, TV and a gaggle of things I never thought of 9yrs ago when this post started!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Watching the mere mortals in chaos from high atop Mt. Olympus Icrontian
    Oh my gawd if 10 year old me could see 34 year old me, with the ability to play almost EVERY SINGLE NES and SNES GAME EVER MADE in a single device, 10 year old me would shit himself.
    :shake:" alt=":shake:" />
    That would not be a pretty sight.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Oh my gawd if 10 year old me could see 34 year old me, with the ability to play almost EVERY SINGLE MAGNAVOX ODYSSEY and FAIRCHILD VES GAME EVER MADE in a single device, 10 year old me would shit himself.
    Fix'd
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
    edited Mar 2012
    I think you guys are looking at this backwards; the younger we are the easier it is to take technology for granted. Ten year old versions of ourselves would pick up the device, say "oh cool" and just start using it to play games.

It's only 30-something versions of ourselves who see the past 20+ years of innovation and think it's revolutionary. Kids think it's normal. We're meta-thinking about the situation from today's viewpoint, rather than really seeing it how our ten year old selves would see it.

I was thinking about this the other day as I watched my 15-month old son pick up my Android phone, play with the touch screen as if he were dialing, then put it to his ear and say, "Hi!" to it.

As I witnessed this, at first I thought, "Wow, when I was a kid phones were gigantic chunks of plastic with physical dials and cords. By my definition, the Android's not even really a phone - how does he know to use it like that?" Then I realized the archetype for a device is relative, and kids will mimic the adult use of pretty much any item humans have conceived.

For adults, though, archetypes stick around longer than is relatively useful. For example, when we think of "phone" symbolically, it is often pictured as a sideways handset of the telephones we grew up with. It's increasingly not relevant when our actual telephone is basically a miniature tablet convergence device with a touchscreen face. Similarly, the "Save" icon of almost every piece of software out there is a stylized floppy disk. How long will that make sense to kids, many of whom have never used a PC with a floppy drive? Because these concepts hold such inertia in our adult brains, we think of our younger selves as rigidly encased in the technology of the era in which we grew up, but in reality our young selves would take to today's tech just as readily as today's kids.

I guess that's just a long way of saying, kids just intuitively use technology as intended without gawking, and without shitting themselves.
    Well, without gawking and shitting themselves more than usual.

Well put, GH.
    I actually had the conversation about the Save Icon with my students the other day. Most of them had no idea what a disk was.. It went something like this.
    Me-Click on the picture of the league Floppy Disc.
    Student-The what?
    Me-The picture of the thing you used to have to save stuff on.
    Student-You mean like my USB Drive
    Me- Yes, but it only held about 1/1000th as much data.
    Student - Wow, how did you get anything done?
    edited Mar 2012
    Without exageration, this is what the first phone I picked up and said 'hello' looked like.

And since there were no cell phones, radio phones or anything of the kind yet these came in quite handy and were worth the nickel to make a call. (later on they upped the price to a dime)

In the 60's my sister "just had to have" one of these.

Oh yea, and there were no digital cameras, you had to shoot film, take it to the drug store and wait a week for the pictures.

TV was a novelty that was only black and white with nothing to watch but "old movies", news and stupid game shows.

Only rich people had movie cameras, that used film that had to be sent by mail to develop and took forever to get back. But you could speed up the process by sending it "Air Mail" and enclose a pre-stamped "Air Mail" envelope.

And only the government and universities had computers that took up whole rooms or buildings and now pale in comparison to todays handheld calculators!

AND JUST THINK,

..........................THERE WAS NO INTERNET! :eyes:" alt=":eyes:" />
    Woo! This is the phone I remember from my childhood! SO AVOCADO

edited Mar 2012
    Woo! This is the phone I remember from my childhood! SO AVOCADO

Oh Yes, Avocado was the color of the eighties for the home. I remember coming home from the service and seeing that my mom had replaced all the nice white appliances with Avocado ones. :hair:" alt=":hair:" />
    edited Mar 2012
    What grade you teach, @CrazyJoe?
    I teach computers at an Elementary School. That particular student was 5th Grade.