If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Piercings and Tattoos

NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan New
edited Dec 2010 in The Pub
Just curious to see how many of you out there have piercings and tatoos. If so were and what of? I have my left ear pierced twice and my right ear pierced once, and talkin my mom into getting my lip pierced.
«1345

Comments

  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    It's a matter of personal taste, I guess. In my opinion, most tatoos and piercings make a man look like a moron. Nothing to do with morals - just my viewpoint.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited Aug 2005
    I don't personally have any tattoos or piercings. I think maybe later in my life, a small tattoo of something might be cool, but I'm too much of a wuss to do it.
    I know my generation loves to get 'em (tattoos); I'm not a fan. My friends always try to sell me on 'em, they're like, "Tattoos - that's an artistic expression!" I'm like, "Wow, because it looks like a butterfly above your cooter." I think if you're gonna get a tattoo, just get one - the words "I'm Dumb," that's it. That way in 10 years when you go, "Why'd I get this?!" you can be like, "Ohh, haha, I'm dumb!"

    That isn't meant to be offensive, I just think it's a funny quote from a very funny comedian. :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited Aug 2005
    I have no 'adornments' at all, I don't even have a watch or a ring, nothing.
    It seems to me that everybody is getting tattoos nowadays and they all look the same. These strange symbols rather than actual pictures. It's just fashion but imagine still being stuck with your 1965 flares? I don't know anybody with a tattoo that doesn't regret having it, all these 'Robin Williams' lookalikes will be too embaressed to go to the Beach in a few years. Never mind, with enough money they can always swap them for scars.
    Piercings? Personally, I think they're horrible but at least they're temporary.
  • Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited Aug 2005
    oooohhh a good subject....

    ok freak here..

    I have several tatoos, 2 left arm a skull and a japanese symbol.
    1 upper right arm, Horses head.

    am getting a dragon with its wings spread put on my back.. as soon as I come up with the money for the lil expensive thing..

    peircing... left ear twice. both nipples, and one below the belt. (will leave that one jsut like that..) ;D
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited Aug 2005
    4 tatts, 2 on each arm. Had them over 30 years.

    1 "eagle", 1 "death before dishonour", 1 "Mum" and last but not least, a love heart with my beloved's name in it.....Sally (ofcourse).

    1 left ear piercing, just have not worn any for a while.
    Lord_Night wrote:
    am getting a dragon with its wings spread put on my back.. as soon as I come up with the money for the lil expensive thing..
    Same as what i want, sort of..............Dragon and Samurai warrior.
    Won't happen due to the cost. :(
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited Aug 2005
    Whoa, that's spooky, I just got a new tattoo last night. So now I have 3 (shoulder, back and forearm) and just my tongue pierced. Quite restrained considering my flatmate is a tattoo artist and I could have anything I wanted for the price of a crate of beer :D
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas
    edited Aug 2005
    ha a friend of mine went out last night to get her nose pierced :p
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited Aug 2005
    Here's my latest :D

    deicist_14584001.jpg
  • Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited Aug 2005
    LOL "GEEK" in tattoo oh now that good........
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia
    edited Aug 2005
    I have three Tat's
    all from pre 25yrs old days (am 38 now) - tempted to get another and toy with the idea now and then

    The most significant tat I have is on my right bicep, it's an 8 inch "cat in the hat" which I got due to the fact he is my life mascot - make a hell of a mess, have a party, try new things, push others to their limits, but afterwards clean up after yourself, make sure no one gets in trouble and that everyone is happy with what happened :D

    I got TCITH (now you know what the alias means) in a share house, it was one of those shared life moments you have with people you travel your life with, all four members of the house all went and got Tat's on the 1 year aniversary of living together ... it is still a significant moment in my memory, would do it again if I had a choice, and again, and again .... in fact I think I'll call them now and go for drinks on the weekend ..

    I have had both nipples pierced - rarely wear em these days
    both ears are pierced as well - recently stopped wearing them - 38 year old senior male managers with earings is not a look .....

    my other tats are on my calf and on my upper thigh - both are tribal
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited Aug 2005
    I got a couple tats myself :p

    First one is my stang. What can I say, I love mustangs, every car I have had has been a stang. I love my baby.

    stang.tat.jpg

    Next one is just a tribal design that I really liked.

    tribal.jpg

    Last one is a folding cog inside a tribal design. I got it to know that my father is always with me, and to represent the fight for cancer, he was the reason I fold.

    cog.jpg
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    Now that is some true spirit, Clutch! :thumbsup:

    You are quite possibly the only folding-cog-tatted individual out there. Awesome.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan New
    edited Aug 2005
    One rule here, no more mentioning anything below the belts...... *cough Lord Night *cough

    Lord, did it hurt getting your nipples pierced?

    I can't get tatoos now because i'm 16, but when i turn 18 that'll be my present.
  • GargoyleGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Illinois Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    I don't have any, but I've been thinking about getting a compass rose tattoo (think old maps). I wouldn't mind getting one if they didn't last forever. I'd definitely get one if it faded away after 5 years or so.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    I think tatoo's and piercings are ugly. We had our fads too, but like previously said, we could take our bell bottoms off.

    One word of advice though for people getting them. My company and many others have a few basic rules.

    Tatoo's cannot be visible from any angle while on the job. This means if you reach for something or bend over etc.. they cannot be visible.

    No piercings that can be seen may be worn at work. Tongue included.

    Right or wrong these things are frowned upon in the corporate world. They do not look professional/business like. So doing something while young can cost you that 100K a year job after college or 15 years down the road. I have seen it happen. My one time roomate was a biker. Had tatoos all over. He was a lead program engineer. He reached out to shake hands after a contract meeting and his shirt sleeves rode up exposing his tats to the client. Client made a comment about em and he was unemployed the next day.

    And before you holler discrimination. It is not. A person or company has every right to set the requirements for appearance of the company employees as they are public representatives of the company. Dress codes are legal too.

    The military sets hair, tatoos, and uniform standards. The Disney company has one of the strictest policies I've seen forbidding facial hair entirely. They also set hair standards for men and women alike.

    All I'm saying is trying to look "cool" may cost you big over the course of your life. Give if/what/where some serious thought before doing something that is that permanent.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited Aug 2005
    I understand where you are coming from Missileman, and you are correct. I put lots of thought into where I wanted my tattoos at, how big, etc before I even thought about going to the shop to get them. A tattoo isn't an impulse buy, think long and hard before you decide to put something on you for life. Me..I'm proud to take all my tats to the grave, wouldn't have it any other way.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited Aug 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    It's a matter of personal taste, I guess. In my opinion, most tatoos and piercings make a man look like a moron. Nothing to do with morals - just my viewpoint.


    While l like to think I judge a person by what is in their head and heart, I tend to agree with you Leo.

    My biggest question toward the decorated crowd is: "What the hell is that gonna look like when you're 60, and how are you going to explain it to your grandkids?" ;D The thought of a 60+ year old, male or female, with pierced nipples makes my stomach all wogglely inside..... :wtf: This is also why I'm decoration free. Plus I have enough extra holes & scars from being me as a child, I don't want any more! ;D
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    Na I wont get a tat but I did have my left ear pierced one time ut i was allergic to gold so i had to take it out. I might get it done in silver this saturday

    Tats arent my cup of tea for the reason a piercing you can take out when u decide u dont wnat it
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited Aug 2005
    I got a small tat on the upper left pec that says "Made with pride in 75" in a little circle. Nothing too fancy and almost nobody notices it (chest hair).

    Max
  • edited Aug 2005
    i have a sun on my left upper arm shoulder area. bout 3 1/2 - 4 inches in diamater. has flames on outside and inside. color starts yellow fades or orange then to red. love it, had it bout 9 mos......going get a cross on my back
  • edited Aug 2005
    I have a couple of tats, but you should have seen shorty when I first met him, the guy had a hell of a lot of face metal :)
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan New
    edited Aug 2005
    I'm going out this friday to get my ears pierced again, i kind of royally screwed up the last time i tried doing it myself. I kind of put them to high.
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia
    edited Aug 2005
    Missileman wrote:
    I think tatoo's and piercings are ugly. We had our fads too, but like previously said, we could take our bell bottoms off.

    One word of advice though for people getting them. My company and many others have a few basic rules.

    Tatoo's cannot be visible from any angle while on the job. This means if you reach for something or bend over etc.. they cannot be visible.

    No piercings that can be seen may be worn at work. Tongue included.

    Right or wrong these things are frowned upon in the corporate world. They do not look professional/business like. So doing something while young can cost you that 100K a year job after college or 15 years down the road. I have seen it happen. My one time roomate was a biker. Had tatoos all over. He was a lead program engineer. He reached out to shake hands after a contract meeting and his shirt sleeves rode up exposing his tats to the client. Client made a comment about em and he was unemployed the next day.

    And before you holler discrimination. It is not. A person or company has every right to set the requirements for appearance of the company employees as they are public representatives of the company. Dress codes are legal too.

    The military sets hair, tatoos, and uniform standards. The Disney company has one of the strictest policies I've seen forbidding facial hair entirely. They also set hair standards for men and women alike.

    All I'm saying is trying to look "cool" may cost you big over the course of your life. Give if/what/where some serious thought before doing something that is that permanent.

    I also understand where your coming from - all my tats have been designed to be hidden if need be - but luckly in Australia the above scenario would not work, anti discrimination laws would kick in and there would be no way an employer could terminate someone for that - dress codes don't work that way here. I have staff with mohawkes :)

    then again here in Aus we have some of the most generous working conditions and laws in the world
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia
    edited Aug 2005
    On another note - reading through the comments

    I think anyone who judges someone by their outward appearance and makes a judgement is the one who is shallow and perhaps needs to readjust their thinking.

    I know a" biker" guy who has been tattoo'd from head to foot and you will not find a more generous, intelligent and productive individual, he is one of the nicest people I know.

    Many of the cookier looks at universities are sported by some of the most intelligent people.

    just another 2c worth
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited Aug 2005
    tcith wrote:
    On another note - reading through the comments

    I think anyone who judges someone by their outward appearance and makes a judgement is the one who is shallow and perhaps needs to readjust their thinking.

    I know a" biker" guy who has been tattoo'd from head to foot and you will not find a more generous, intelligent and productive individual, he is one of the nicest people I know.

    Many of the cookier looks at universities are sported by some of the most intelligent people.

    just another 2c worth


    Amen my friend, Amen.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    The way they get away with it here is you would be informed up front before the interview that there is a mandatory dress code and conduct code. The anti-discrimination kicks in forcing it to be applied to all employees and not just some. Same rules apply if your the CEO, salesman, or mailroom clerk. Otherwise it would be discrimination :) I turned down a job once in Disney World's animatronics lab because during the hiring interview I was informed that I would have to remove my moustache before reporting for work since it was company policy it would have to apply to all employees and not only the ones dealing with the public. Couldn't lose the hairy lip so I said no thanks.

    Just like your fellow my friend was one of the kindest, friendliest, and intelligent individuals you could ever meet. Trouble is with human nature. We size someone up in less than 1 sec. That's why first impressions are so important.

    Humans have a built in attraction to clear smooth skin. It indicates health to our inner brain which dictates sexual attraction. I find it hard to understand why a woman who works so hard to be attractive would do something that goes so strongly against our natural attraction stimulation when everything else they do is to play into it (lipstick, eyeliner, etc...)

    Fashion is the great equalizer I guess ;D
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia
    edited Aug 2005
    Missileman wrote:
    The way they get away with it here is you would be informed up front before the interview that there is a mandatory dress code and conduct code. The anti-discrimination kicks in forcing it to be applied to all employees and not just some. Same rules apply if your the CEO, salesman, or mailroom clerk. Otherwise it would be discrimination :)

    Just like your fellow my friend was one of the kindest, friendliest, and intelligent individuals you could ever meet. Trouble is with human nature. We size someone up in less than 1 sec. That's why first impressions are so important.

    Humans have a built in attraction to clear smooth skin. It indicates health to our inner brain which dictates sexual attraction. I find it hard to understand why a woman who works so hard to be attractive would do something that goes so strongly against our natural attraction stimulation when everything else they do is to play into it (lipstick, eyeliner, etc...)

    Fashion is the great equalizer I guess ;D


    Where on earth did you get this idea that humans have an inbuilt attraction to clear skin - that's pure doggeral, unfounded and non factual.

    Explain to me then why tribal cultures adorn their skin heavily - Maori and african cultures tattoo's, body modification and other decoration is a huge part of the mating ritual.

    In arab countries woman adorn themselves with tattoo's and use hennna to make large connecting tattoo's for special ceremonies.

    there is no proof that humans are attracted to clear skin, if anything evidence points to the opposite
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan New
    edited Aug 2005
    Not to be lustful or anything but i find it very attractive when a girl has a lip piercing.
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited Aug 2005
    I am going to get this logo done in the next year or two. I have been a complete Phishhead for 13 years now, and I wanted to wait at least 10 before getting it done, just in case I discovered that I didn't like them anymore...But I do!!
    I flirted with getting this logo multi-colored but I think I will stick with either black or some dark primary-type color, to give it a slightly timeless quality (if this is possible).
    Years ago I toyed with the idea of getting my fraternity letters tattooed but could never bring myself to. I also considered a cool Irish/Keltic pic but never really looked into it.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited Aug 2005
    Guyute: I would stick with black for that design.
«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.