If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

The Icrontic Gun Thread

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited May 2011 in The Icrontic Pub
THIS IS NOT A DEBATE THREAD
Icrontic isn't the place for debating gun control, the morality of hunting, personal protection and concealed carry, and all the other topics that seem to get people fired up when it comes to shooting. :D

Who shoots here? I don't care if you punch holes in paper or hunt. What enjoy plinking with?

I went to the local range Sunday afternoon with my Makarov pistol and put 50 rounds of 9x18mm ammo through it. Every time I shoot it, I'm amazed at the simplicity and accuracy of the gun.

My friend's younger brother brought his Bushmaster AR-15 along, so I had my first experience firing one of those. I found the .223 to have little recoil, but the gun was rather boring to shoot and pretty uncomfortable to shoulder. It felt light and plasticy, had trouble cycling rounds, and had the most unresponsive trigger ever. I don't see what all the fuss is about or why they're so popular yet. Surely a it had to do with how his was set up. I'd like to try one that's set up more for target shooting instead of a wannabe military tactical setup.:rolleyes:

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    There's a shooting range two minutes up the road. If my parents don't blow an artery, I'd contemplate going. Might relieve some stress.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    I've got another buddy who does just that. He has a .22 pistol that he takes to the range and uses as a stress reliever. A .22 is inexpensive and the ammo is about the cheapest out there so you can blast through a brick of it in an afternoon. It's a good way to get out of the house. Provided your parents head's don't explode, I'd do it. ;)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    My friend has a makarov I wanan get it from him some day
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Member
    edited Dec 2007
    My pal has a glock 9 mm of some kind. He has let me test shoot it in the wilderness. Other than that my only experience with firearms is the 12 and 20 gauge hunting shot-guns that I used hunting with my grandfather (3 seasons)
    The 12 was pump and beautiful= but had one hell of a kick! Would not want to be on the receiving end of that killler!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    Bushmaster AR-15 along, so I had my first experience firing one of those...
    It all depends upon how it's set up. It shouldn't have cycling problems if it's maintained well and quality cartridges are loaded.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited Dec 2007
    I used to love shooting, My father in law used to be range warden at our local naval base.Happy days smith and wesson 38 special, 9mm colt ,.357 magnum ( My fave )
    Saturday morning spent loading the rounds weighing the black powder etc. Sunday morning reward time :bigggrin: I also enjoyed clay pigeon shooting, Remington automatic shottie was fun. don't get to do pistol shooting in the UK anymore , and all gun ownership is under a draconian .......................sorry was almost drawn OT . .357 magnum just felt right same for the Remington over and under shotgun.
    edited Dec 2007
    .357 magnum ( My fave )
    Some of the most fun I've had at the range has been with magnum caliber pistols. Favorite range gun now is an M1 Garand with my own 30.06 loads. I also have another WWII gun (WWI also), an M1903, which I haven't fired yet. I haven't reloaded yet since moving back to Alaska. overdue
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited Dec 2007
    I used to hunt - starting at age 13 with a lil clipfed 22. A friend would loan me his 20 Gauge shotgun (And snowshoes) so I could go get lost during the winter. Much later, I got a 12 Gauge Remington pump with a swappable deer barrel, which I thought was the coolest thing! I haven't had a gun or hunted in over 10 years, but I still like to go hiking in the bush and I still feel that same excitement when I scare up something. I attribute my visual accuity, or.. the ability to discern objects (Such as prone ambushers and snipers) in FPS gaming, to my early experience hunting in the bush.
  • drasnordrasnor Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    I used to do some target shooting in the Boy Scouts with a Ruger .22 bolt action rifle and open sights. I wouldn't mind having one of those, cycling the action on a bolt action is most satisfying.

-drasnor :fold:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited Dec 2007
    I thought the AR-15 was made by armalite?

My favorite round is the .308, though I always thought .223 were pretty kick ass rounds. Like a .22 on steroids. :D
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited Dec 2007
    I own a Mossberg 20ga. That is all!
    edited Dec 2007
    airbornflght said:
    I thought the AR-15 was made by armalite?

My favorite round is the .308, though I always thought .223 were pretty kick ass rounds. Like a .22 on steroids. :D
    Yes, ArmaLite originally produced the AR-15.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    drasnor said:
    I used to do some target shooting in the Boy Scouts with a Ruger .22 bolt action rifle and open sights. I wouldn't mind having one of those, cycling the action on a bolt action is most satisfying.

-drasnor :fold:
    Totally agree. Rifle merit badge yippieskippie!
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Member
    edited Dec 2007
    I shoot, and hunt

I only have 1 gun, because im always using my dads

we got 2 shotguns (12, and 20 gauge),
    A 44. (rifle)
    a 44. mag (pistol)
    a 22 (rifle)
    a few bb guns lol

and I think thats it, im not sure, those are all the ones I have used

hes always got them in his gun safe....
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio
    edited Dec 2007
    Do I shoot ?
    I got my first .22 when I was 12. My dad and I would shoot on Saturday mornings in the summer. A lot of fun. We would always "Target" shoot. I have never been hunting. No desire
    I have been shooting since about 1970. My favorites are handguns , so much so that I make my living building high end custom handguns. I have been a full time Pistolsmith for the last 10 years. I get up every day and have to play with guns all day, tough job . :bigggrin: My work has been featured in several magazines and I have a waiting list of about 6 months. Also a member of the American Pistolsmith Guild
    I even built a single shot .50BMG rifle. It is a lot of fun to shoot.( But not many places to shoot it )With the building , testing and competition I shoot several times a week.

Ya I shoot...it's my job !

Scott
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    I've gone "hunting" but this involves sitting with my dad and freezing my ass off all morning, while my dad intentionally misses the deer that walked by.

My dad's been hunting for the last twelve years, and has never shot an animal ;)

But anyways, I own a WW2-era M1 Garand (with a bayonet!) that I use to target shoot on our private land in northern Michigan. I don't keep it at home, cause I don't have a gun safe, so I use my dad's.

My dad, being a career police officer, has a few handguns. I grew up shooting them. We also have a .22 rifle.

The M1 is a blast to shoot. Surprisingly low kick, but you can feel the power behind it. Nothing at all like shooting a .22 :p

I've also shot 12- and 20-gauge shotguns. One time my poor grandma wanted to shoot the 12 gauge and it knocked her right over :p But she laughed about it.

When Perry turns 12, he wants to go hunting with my dad. Luckily, my dad has taught the boys gun safety and respect for firearms the same way he did with me. Being that I don't keep guns at home, this is something he can impart to them, and I'm glad for it. I think kids who grow up learning gun safety and respect become adults who would never use a gun improperly.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    I don't own a gun, myself, but I borrow my father's .22 rifle to go targetshooting with the Nexlia guys every once in a while.

Last time there was a special treat, as our buddy who always hosts the target shooting (he has a piece of property outside city-limits) brought a shotgun and some clay pigeon targets. We took turns launching them out over the trees for each other. I was much better at shooting the pigeons than I thought I'd be. :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited Dec 2007
    (bothered is having a hard time keeping his mouth shut)
    edited Dec 2007
    Shooting clays is awesome. I did it at summer camp one year for the Shotgun Merit Badge and had a blast. If I ever get a shotgun, it'll be for that purpose.

My "collection" is as follows.
    - Makarov 9x18mm pistol. It's a sweet Bulgarian military model instead of the more common Russian consumer-grade models. My first pistol purchase.
    - CZ 85 B. It's a 9mm with pre-ban 15rnd magazines. I had the choice of either the CZ or a Browning Hi-Power as a gift for my 21st birthday and chose the CZ because of its balance.
    - Swiss K31 "schmidt-Rubin" rifle. This is my favorite rifle. The straight-pull bolt sets it apart from most bolt actions and is a fun conversation starter. It's extremely accurate, even over iron sights.
    - Yugo M59/66 SKS. This is my first rifle purchase, and my first experience cleaning off cosmoline ;). Cleaning all the gunk off of it took a couple evenings, but it helped me learn a lot about how the gun works. The first time I took it shooting was a rewarding experience after seeing all the work that went into refurbishing it pay off.

In the future, I'd like to get my Curio and Relic license so I can pick up a few more old military guns. I'd also like to try a build of some sort; either a .45 like what scott builds, an AK variant, or a highly modified K31. It just comes down to time and money.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited Dec 2007
    I'm down to just a S&W Model 915 - 15 shot 9mm.

Sold off all my rifles and other handguns before I moved to CA.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    My favorite guns to fire are the Garand and the Swiss SKS. I've also toyed around with an iron-sighted Winchester .22 which was like throwing peas at the hay bale. Heh.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited Dec 2007
    I enjoy shooting. I go with a buddy now and then when we have some time and spare cash to allow it. I do most of my shooting at my department's indoor range as all the practice ammo is free for us.

Weapons I own:

A tricked out Remington 870
    Glock 21
    Glock 30
    S&W 642
    Sig P220R

I'm currently carrying the Sig and the Smith on duty as sidearm and backup respectively. The Glocks are great guns, probably the best bang for buck pistol you can buy. Ridiculously reliable and maintenance free and very accurate. The Sig is the real gem in my family though, I love that thing. Just as reliable, I'm more accurate with it, and the grip is more comfy than the doublestack Glock.

All this talk of shooting, I'm gonna have to check the range schedule and go toss some rounds downrange on my days off this week. I don't hunt, never have and never will...not animals anyway...crackheads are another story.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited Dec 2007
    First gun I ever fired was a .22, the second gun I ever fired as two minutes later and it was a 7.62 semi-automatic AK-47. I have no idea how any one could file a rifle like that on full auto and hit anything.
    edited Dec 2007
    Nomad said:
    First gun I ever fired was a .22, the second gun I ever fired as two minutes later and it was a 7.62 semi-automatic AK-47. I have no idea how any one could file a rifle like that on full auto and hit anything.
    Just like any automatic weapon:

Practice - 3-5 round bursts..

Just what they taught us in the military when using M-16, M16A2, or the M60E3 (SAW too).. Full Auto\Spray and pray, definately only works in the movies & video games....
    edited Dec 2007
    I'll let you know in a few weeks ;) Supposedly there is going to be a machine gun shoot and my buddy's dad is going to bring his Sten and Mac-10 for us to shoot.

Actually, RADA is correct. Full auto only works for Rambo.
    edited Dec 2007
    Buddy Jesus said:
    I'll let you know in a few weeks ;) Supposedly there is going to be a machine gun shoot and my buddy's dad is going to bring his Sten and Mac-10 for us to shoot.

Actually, RADA is correct. Full auto only works for Rambo.
    Buddy,

Cool, used to go up to N. AZ with a club for a automatic shoot weekend.

It cost us around $500 (bring your own camping equipment) for a weekend of shooting anything from an M-16/AR-15 to a Humvee-Mounted 50 Cal......

Loved AZ, I could carry in the open (or concealed - I have a CCP) almost anywhere I wanted to.

I also have a full auto license\permit in AZ.

Here in SoCal I get the terriffied looks because I wear a 4" blade folding pocket knife with a belt clip on the inside the right pocket of my jeans.....
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri
    edited Dec 2007
    I own 5 handguns, 2 shotguns and 3 rifles (inherited most of them and have only fired 3 out of the whole lot). I would love to go to an indoor range and do some target shooting, but I never seem to have the time. I fire my Marlin .22LR whenever the wild critters (or dogs) get after my livestock.

While I have nothing against hunting, I've never been and really have no desire to.

Long guns:
    Marlin - Model 336 - 30-30win (inherited)
    Marlin - Model 60 - 22LR (I bought it almost 30 years ago)
    Winchester - Model 190 - 22L or LR (inherited)
    Mossburg - Model 195K-A - 12ga (inherited)
    Brazilian made - (no model #) - single shot 20ga (was old when I bought it almost 30 years ago)

Hand guns:
    H&R - Model 949 - .22cal 9-shot revolver (inherited)
    Charter Arms - Model Undercover - 38 SPL 5-shot revolver (inherited)
    S&W - Model SW40F - 40cal auto (I bought it about 10 years ago)
    Colt - Model (custom made for USMA West Point) - 45auto (My wife and son bought if for me as a gift in 2005 - only cadets could buy them)
    Moore - First Model - 41cal deringer -circa 1860-65 (my father gave it to me about a month ago)
  • edited Dec 2007
    Although I don't hunt any more (got too expensive) or even get out and just kill cans and paper much, I do have a fair collection of rifles, shotguns and pistols. I presently own the following:

rifles:
    Winchester Model 70 .264 Mag (given to me by my Dad when I was a teen)
    Ruger Model 77/22 .22LR bolt action (cheap to shoot and very accurate playtoy)
    Browning B92 .44 lever action carbine (no longer manufactured)
    Rossi Model 92SRC .357 Mag lever action carbine
    IMI Uzi Model A 9mm semi-auto (a real blast to waste ammo with and surprisingly accurate with it's 16" barrel)
    Marlin bolt action, .22 shorts to long rifles, no idea what model number (my first gun my Dad gave me when I was about 7-8 years old)

Shotguns:
    High Standard 12 gauge semi auto
    Ithaca Mag 10, 10 gauge semi auto

Pistols:
    Husqvarna .380 auto semi auto pistol (inherited from my Grandpa) - and yes, the same company that makes the chain saws and lawn mowers. They also used to make some high quality guns back in the day.
    S & W Model 27 .357 Mag revolver (first pistol I ever bought, when I was 18)
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .357 Maximum target pistol (swapped a Rottweiler for it plus 500 rounds of ammo) - no longer manufactured and will be a collector's item in the future
    Magnum Research Desert Eagle .44 Mag semi auto
    Rossi .38 Special 4" barrel (inherited it from my Mom)
  • jj Easpointe, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    I've played the sniper on TF2, the laser site is great, but recycling the bolt every time is a little annoying
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    For plinking, I use my Ruger 10/22 to which I've performed no modifications, though I do have several high capacity clips for it.

When I just want to make things disappear, I use my Yugo M59/66 SKS with composite stock.

The next gun I want to get is the Walther P22 for some additional cheap shooting. I'm also looking over the variants of the Remington 870 for the future.

Buddy, I've also seen the K31 and the Makarov pistol featured at a few dealer websites. I can't wait to get the C&R to make these purchases easy!
    edited Dec 2007
    Awesomesauce GH. I'd thought about switching to a composite stock for my M59/66 since my wood stock is still tacky from all the cosmoline, but I'm going to try and refinish what I've got first with the traditional boiled linseed oil/bees wax/turpentine paste.

As for the P22, you've gotta get one! Two of my friends have them (one standard and one with the target barrel) and they're a blast. For the money, I don't think a better .22 pistol exists.

Oh, and you may wanna hold off on the P22 and get your C&R stuff first ;). The selection of good K31s is shrinking quickly and the prices have almost doubled since I got mine. Last I heard, there aren't any more export shipments of them coming from Europe. Makarov prices are going up a good bit too as the last mil-spec ones are coming in.
    edited Dec 2007
    That's good advice. I haven't been keeping up with prices for the last year or so... I'm considering using what's left of my work bonus to finally make my next purchase.

And as for the cosmoline, that's half the reason I changed the stock. I think I went through three cans of brake parts cleaner de-gunking my SKS. The slop made a nice flammable mess though.
  • edited Dec 2007
    For stripping the cosmoline, you might try stripping the stock off the weapon and soaking it down with some gasoline (wearing rubber gloves of course) in an open area. That might strip the rest of the cosmoline out of the stock.
    edited Dec 2007
    When I stripped the gun, I wrapped the stock in aluminum foil and "cooked" it so most of the cosmo wept out of the wood. All that's left is really just residue which should clean up with gasoline or mineral spirits. If that doesn't do it, I'll hit it with some acetone ;) Although harsh cleaners like that will typically dry out the wood, the BLO/wax/turp mix should restore the moisture as well as give a nice, classic finish. Here's hoping. It's never easy when you're dealing with cosmoline.
    edited Dec 2007
    I would recommend acetone over gasoline. Gasoline will leave a slight residue. Acetone won't. (Acetone is also perfect for cleaning heatsinks and computer chips. No, it does not interact with motherboard PCB.)

If the stock's wood is too dry after using the solvents, linseed oil makes an excellent conditioner. Apply it in very light coats, allowing the wood to 'dry' in between each application.

Does the stock have any dents in it? If so, you can remove them with an electric iron. Moisten a cloth - just moist, but not soaking wet, place it over the affected area and let set just long enough for the moisture to seep into the wood's pores, then apply heat. As the water turns into gas, it will lift the dented wood fiber back to it's original shape.

Don't use too much water and don't use too much heat. It's better to lift off the iron early and try again rather than to overdo it.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio
    edited Dec 2007
    Removing cosmoline from wood.
    The best way is not the fastest. "Solvent and whiting"

Here is a great post on the subject. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-171274.html

The method described by Dfariswheel
    Dfariswheel said:
    "There's any number of methods, but the old time stockmaker and furniture maker method is the safest for the wood and most effective.

You'll need a good solvent, preferably non-inflammable. The best is Triclorathane, commonly known as Clorathane.
    Also a jar of "whiting", which is Calcium Carbonate. This is a white, flour-like powder.
    You can buy whiting from Brownell's and from many local drug stores.

The actual method depends on whether your solvent is inflammable or not.

Mix the solvent up with whiting until you have a pancake batter consistency.

Apply a thick coat of the solvent-whiting to the wood, including the butt area and the inletting.
    Depending on how big the stock is you can coat it a section at a time.

IF the solvent is non-inflammable, apply heat with a heat gun, or hold the wood over an ELECTRIC stove burner.

The solvent will soak into the wood and dissolve the grease and oil, and the heat will cause it to "boil" to the surface, where it will be absorbed by the whiting.

Normal methods using solvents, soaps, or other chemicals can bring the grease to the surface, BUT they can't lift it ABOVE the surface.
    As soon as the solvent evaporates or the heat is removed, the gunk is re-absorbed into the wood before you can wipe it off, no matter how fast you try.

The whiting actually wicks the oil out of the wood and absorbs it, where it's held. This turns the whiting orange and brown.

Simply wipe the dirty whiting off and re-apply.
    Usually 2-3 applications will return even a black grease soaked stock to it's natural color.

If you don't have a non-inflammable solvent, apply the whiting with whatever solvent you do have, then quickly wrap the stock up tightly in a black plastic trash bag, and lay it on a driveway or roof top in direct sunlight on a hot day.

Allow to stand for a few hours, then unwrap, brush off the dirty whiting and re-apply.

This method is much less damaging to the wood than using dishwashers, oven cleaner, or strong liquid cleaners, and unlike them, there's no chemicals or moisture to leech out of the wood later and damage the gun metal."
    It would be advantageous to read some of the rest of the post to see the pitfalls of other methods like the lye method or oven cleaner method.
    Dfariswheel said:
    Remember, you can't put something ON the wood, it also goes IN the wood.
    What goes IN, comes OUT, sooner or later.
    It's the "later" that can ruin a nice firearm.

Anything applied to wood will soak in, and at some point it leeches back out.

Scott
    edited Dec 2007
    Thanks scott! That's one method I hadn't heard of and it sounds like it's really the best way to do it. I'm a member at surplusrifleforum.com, and most of those guys seem to like steam cleaning or wrapping the stock in kitty litter and baking in a solar oven, but those methods never seemed quite legit to me.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    Woo! you think this subject has some controversy down there, come on up to Canada some time!:canflag:

Anyways, I decided earlier this year that I wanted to teach myself to shoot, so I went and got licensed for both non-restricted (shotgun, basic rifle) and restricted (handguns ((4.25" barrel or longer only in Canada, shorter is called 'prohibited')) and certain semi-automatic rifles, like AR-15's). Restricteds are for range use only, no such thing as handgun hunting or M-16 variant gopher gun up here.

Bought myself a CZ75 SP01 Shadow 9mm pistol and 3 Savage rifles - .22 Mark II, .223 thumbhole varmint/target, and 7mm Remington Magnum 110FP. Surprisingly, the big boomer is the best shooter of the bunch so far....but I'm also starting reloading, and still working on load development for the .223.

I have the bug bad and am considering purchasing a revolver and/or a .204 rifle for the upcoming gopher season :D Going to take IPSC training soon, now that I have 5-600 down the pipe of the CZ and find I'm a decent shot. Never gonna be the best shot around but practice does pay off in better results.

There's the 7mm, with Bushnell 4200 Elite 6X24 atop. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/keto/7mmRM.jpg
  • edited Dec 2007
    Pics or Shens!

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• edited Dec 2007
    That was real informative, scott. I happen to have access almost unlimited supplies of calcium carbonate, since we commonly use this in drilling fluids as a lost circulation preventative measure. If I ever have to strip cosmoline off a weapon I will just take me a 50 lb sack of it home with me.
    edited Jan 2008
    Has anyone done an AK build? I'm thinking about building an AK pistol using an nodakspud 100% receiver. I'm looking for advice, hints, general thoughts and sweet deals on parts kits.
    edited Sep 2008

Ruger GP100

Went out yesterday and shot about 30 rounds (.357) through it in the rain.
  • edited Sep 2008

labor day weekend. Liked shooting the shotgun, but gotta get used to leading enough.

Had a better time reaching out and touching things with the .22 hi-power. ;)

edit: oh, and wear ear protection with the hi-power. holy crap.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Sep 2008
    Nancy could be a vice presidential candidate with that gun....
    edited Sep 2008
    Sound like fun. Is that the stainless steel edition of the Ruger 10/22?
  • AnnesAnnes Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Sep 2008
    *sigh* It's been so long since I've been out shooting. I'll have to get some pics of Prag's guns that are hanging out at the house. Only his handguns are around, his rifles are all back at his house in central PA.
  • edited Sep 2008
    GHoosdum said:
    Sound like fun. Is that the stainless steel edition of the Ruger 10/22?
    umm...

I looked in the telescope and made the pointy things go ding
    edited Sep 2008
    That means yes.

I'm thinking about building a 10/22 for target shooting and plinking. This receiver looks good with the rail top and clear anodizing.
  • _k__k_ P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited Sep 2008
    Um if you want to build a target rifle I would say don't use that, if its not semi-serious target shooting you should be fine. Check here if you are looking for where to begin, very general starting place.

..................how have I not seen this thread before.
    edited Sep 2008
    Dunno how you missed this thread. I'm not looking for a bolt action competition gun. I just want something for cheap plinking at 50 and 100 yards and occasional varmint duty.

My sub 1" MOA gun is my Swiss K31. It shoots better than I do.