If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Adding a CableTV Jack?

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited Dec 2007 in The Pub
I don't have a Cable TV jack in my room... any idea how much that would cost for TWC to come run a wire for and put in?

If that turns out to be expensive.. is there any alternative? I know RCA makes a Wireless Phone Jack (we have one, works great - link), but does something like that exist for Cable TV?? :confused:

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    http://www.vtx.co.uk/video/pbe850.htm

coax -> ethernet -> coax -> success?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited Dec 2007
    Is it legal or would it be considered cable theft? :eek3:
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    Don't think so you're already paying for it.
    You're just moving it to another place in the same house.
    So I didn't think they would even know.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan New
    edited Dec 2007
    I think the last time we had to have the cable guy come out and run a new cable it was somewhere around $70. That was a few years ago though.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    Really, I'd say you'd have to call to get an estimate on what you want to do. I have Time Warner both here and in San Diego, but the rates are dramatically different between the two.

Small-town NY has it's advantages: we just had a guy completely rerun our data and phone line from the basement to our first floor for a charge of $24. No charge to coming out to visit, no charge for consulting, no...etc.

In San Diego, they practically charge for just calling and asking a question.
    edited Dec 2007
    Well I did call them, and we will have it done right. They've charged us $62 already for the trip out here and the installation. They will come out here next Wednesday and tell us our options. I tried to get the woman on the phone to tell give me installation options and how/where it will need to be wired, but that's not something she was able to tell me without the tech coming out and looking himself. I'm guessing it will end up costing more than $62, but maybe I'll get lucky.

Maybe it will be cheaper to install the actual wallplate myself. If they can run the wire through the wall, cut a hole in the wall, and leave a wire hanging there, I can do the rest! Maybe save a few bucks.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Member
    edited Dec 2007
    Do you have an attic? If so it isn't hard to run the cable yourself. All you need to do is go to lower/home depot and get yourself a few little supplies. A drywall knife/saw ($50-$10), a box, wallplate, and of course cable and maybe a splitter depending if you have room on your current one.

After that all you have to do is cut the hole in the wall (by a stud!). Then push the cable down the wall which shouldn't be insulated if it is an interior wall. Punch a hole in the box and push the cable through as it'll be easier to do it now then once the box is installed. Now install the box, make sure you get one that isn't for new construction, because that will be very hard, or impossible to install with sheetrock on the wall. After that is is as simple as hooking up the wallplate and fastening a couple screws. Time needed: around 45 minutes. Money spent: Less than $20 if you have a couple basic tools (you can cut sheetrock with a utility knife if needed) and depending on how long the cable. If you have to buy a knife or wall saw then you'll spend around $35ish. Still much cheaper than paying 'bob' to do it.

You can have the cable guy doing it, but I'm a miser and I can't bear to let anyone do a job when I can do it cheaper and better. Not to mention the satisfaction that I get. If you do go ahead and have him just run the wire, make sure you install a wall box, because those plates aren't intended to just be installed into sheetrock. If you do it will rip out extremely easily and it's just not right! ;) If I lived close to you I would come over and help cause I really don't mind.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited Dec 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:
    Maybe it will be cheaper to install the actual wallplate myself. If they can run the wire through the wall, cut a hole in the wall, and leave a wire hanging there, I can do the rest! Maybe save a few bucks.

My folks use ComCast Cable (Boston area). Funny story about visiting cable techs:

Back 1987 my folks bought an old Victorian house on Cape Cod. Dad and I wired the whole house up with co-ax - all the bedrooms, kitchen, cellar.. We did home runs from each room all the way back to some sort of amplified splitter (I think) we had in the cellar near where the co-ax comes in from the street. We ran a test signals along each run, all checked out OK.

The cable guy came out, too one look at our work, (didn't test anything) and tried to tell Dad "You didn't do this right, it's going to cost you $500+ to fix it....."

What the Tech didn't realize is at the time my Dad had 25+ years as a union electrician, retiring at 40 years in 2004.. Dad got on the phone with a couple friends of his, and then the tech got a page to call the office... He used my folks kitchen phone, I could hear his boss/supervisor reaming him out, and I was in the den 15 ft away!!

He hooked up our cable and never said a word to us again...

System still works just fine 20 years later..
    edited Dec 2007
    I can't bear to let anyone do a job when I can do it cheaper and better.
    I completely agree. I run into this problem with my parents many times a year when we need things fixed, installed, or replaced. Trust me - I've been there! LOL! But.. this isn't my decision. It's their house, and if they insist on paying (or making me pay) to get it done "right", there's nothing I can do.

Secondly, what you're saying to do, according to one person I've asked (who may or may not be right), is completely illegal. He said that would be considered cable theft, to which my dad would want no part in.
    edited Dec 2007
    Well cable tv isn't a terribly complicated system. It's over 50 years old after all. I love it when people who think they know everything because they have a little niche intelligence. Luckily for me the cable guys around here are pretty cool. One is my neighbor and I had to have him come out last summer come to find out the neighbor rototilled my cable.

AND IN NO WAY IS IT CABLE THEFT!

Once you pay for the service it is yours to do with as you please as long as you don't do some certain things such as reselling, redistributing outside of your house (even for free) and some other things. But as long as you keep the cable inside of your house it isn't cable theft. This is because cable services are billed to the address and not the number of people watching it. Why would it be legal for the cable guy to run a wire and you not?

It's a similar principle with your internet. Do you call the tech out to set up your network? Hell no. You went and bought a router and/or a switch or two and started sending it where you want. Now if you piped that over to your neighbor's house, for free or charge, and your isp found out you'd be in mighty deep water.

Cable theft. HA! I'm not sure who you talked to, but either the laws are insanely different an unlogical where you live. Or that guy is blowing a lot of hot air and needs to know what he's talking about before he goes telling people false information. End users are not allowed to sub divide their service. And you aren't allowed to defeat scrambling or other such things to prevent you from viewing premium channels. Those are the two big cable theft laws. Which you wouldn't be doing either of.

If 55 people live in one address that has a $55 cable bill and each chips in $1 for the cable then it's all fine under current laws. But if 55 people live in an apartment complex and each has a different address. Each chipping in $1 for the bill, and the bill only comes to one address. They all have committed cable theft. Pretty simple concept. BTW, if it was illegal do you think lowes would be selling all the supplies to do it ;)
    edited Dec 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:
    I completely agree. I run into this problem with my parents many times a year when we need things fixed, installed, or replaced. Trust me - I've been there! LOL! But.. this isn't my decision. It's their house, and if they insist on paying (or making me pay) to get it done "right", there's nothing I can do.

Secondly, what you're saying to do, according to one person I've asked (who may or may not be right), is completely illegal. He said that would be considered cable theft, to which my dad would want no part in.

Not sure how it is where you are, but you can have as many basic cable runs as you want here.

..Now it you run the wire, and get your own hacked cable box off e-bay, then you will be stealing...

IE: We have 3 TVs in our house, one on a DVR in the living room, and then 2 on basic cable in 2 of the 3 bedrooms. We only pay for basic cable, no extras, no premiums for extra TVs.
    edited Dec 2007
    Okay thanks for the info. I'm glad to know that. I seriously wondered how that could be true, but believed him.

I still doubt my parents will allow me to install it myself, but I can pitch the idea to them.

Meanwhile, I've been looking at (very cheap) TV Tuner cards for my PC. This is basically the cheapest one on Newegg. I read through the reviews, and it looks halfway decent. I'm not looking to capture HD or digital cable, so that's no problem. How does this one look?
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    Once the cable line hits your house, it's yours to do with as you please. Just realize that one cable line means changing the channel in both locations (TV and your PC).
    edited Dec 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Once the cable line hits your house, it's yours to do with as you please. Just realize that one cable line means changing the channel in both locations (TV and your PC).
    Well what if I used a splitter - one cord to the TV, one cord to the PC?
    edited Dec 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:

Yup, a 1 in, 2 out splitter is just what you need....

Radio Shack - around $13...
    edited Dec 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:

It won't matter, it's still one cable line. Changing the channel in one location will change it in the other.
    edited Dec 2007
    Well I now know for sure, that's not true. For a temporary solution, I'm splitting the line in my parents' room, and have a line running along the baseboard into my room. A little fuzzy because of the ghetto connection, but it will work. Both TV's are completely normal and can be on different channels.
    edited Dec 2007
    You're lucky, that's not the case for most people. :)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    That example would only apply if you had 1 cable box. If you have 2 cable boxes or don't use boxes and still have analog cable with cable ready TV's, yes you can split it all you want and have each TV on a diff channel.

If you split the cable coming out of the cable box (rather than the in) then anything you connect would only show the station that the cable box is set to.
    edited Dec 2007
    We don't use cable boxes. In fact, I'm not sure I know what a cable box is. :confused:
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited Dec 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:
    We don't use cable boxes. In fact, I'm not sure I know what a cable box is. :confused:
    I expect most people don't unless they have HD or use a box for PPV. I had cable for years, never had a cable box and could hook up as many TVs as I wanted - each with the ability to view different channels.

Now I have Dish Network (satellite) and have to use a receiver for each tv (and pay extra every month for each additional receiver) in order to watch different channels on them. I miss cable. :(
    edited Dec 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:
    Meanwhile, I've been looking at (very cheap) TV Tuner cards for my PC. This is basically the cheapest one on Newegg. I read through the reviews, and it looks halfway decent. I'm not looking to capture HD or digital cable, so that's no problem. How does this one look?

Anybody have experience with one of these?
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    How I got TV in my room:
    1. Cut hole in wall
    2. Drop coax through hole into basement
    3. Attach splitter to line in basement
    4. Mount faceplate
    5. Enjoy cable

I've never heard of a splitter making the channel change in more than one room. I've split a lot of cables too, haha.

I like the Radeon All-In-Wonders... I've had a couple of them over the years. :)
    edited Dec 2007
    This is what I'm using now.. $10.81 after tax

pRS1C-2266632w345.jpg

I think I may just keep it like this instead of spending the $62 (plus whatever other charges they can come up with). I will be moving out in less than a year anyways. Beyond then, it's not my problem :D Thanks to everybody who chipped in some knowledge.
    edited Dec 2007
    Damn, that's an expensive splitter! You must have bought it at rat shack. But yeh, as long as you have a tuner in each location be it digital or analog you can split the signal as much as you want, or until the signal degrades too much for the tuner can't function properly (mainly a problem with digital tuners). Analog tuners just get fuzzy. Amplifiers can work, but they also amplify any noise in the line too, so sometimes their effects are negated.

Anyways. I feel like a complete geek.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Changing the channel in one location will change it in the other.

what.

not at all true, in any situation, unless you are talking about POST-tuner cable splits.

Cable comes in - let's simplify and say it is carrying ALL channels through the signal. This is one cable. You can split it a million times and it's still ALL channels until it is "decoded" by a tuner.

A tuner is either the TV, the cable "box", the PCI card, whatever. If you bring that single cable into, say, a cable box, and then split the OUTPUT of that cable box, yes- changing the channel on THAT tuner will change the channel on all devices AFTER it. But that would be ridiculous to do.