If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Helium running out?

LincLinc BardDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited Dec 2011 in The Pub
Helium comes from Texas. Apparently they're running out. (via /.)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited 15 Mar
    I think it's time to get some rifles, an airship, some cowboy hats and trenchcoats, and a pet squirrel, and become helium prospectors.

fuck yes.

We'll fend off helium pirates, we'll have air combat with rival prospectors, and we'll discover an underground city of helium-exhaling gelatinous beings whom we have shared the earth with for hundreds of thousands of years.

It'll be fucking rad.
    Teramonaoni_delsCreeperbane2photodude
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited Jan 2008
    I'm in!

Icrontic Lighter-Than-Air World LAN Party Tour and Brewfest redux.
    edited Jan 2008
    I could easily see snuffie's head as it appears in my avatar as our ship's logo.

Hell, it'll be our flag.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited Jan 2008
    What is running out is that the US government isn't funding looking for wells with high He content and helping pay for the capture and processing.
    edited Jan 2008
    WHO'S WITH ME?!?!? We'll have ADVENTURES.

We'll have to deal with shady NASA reps, and they won't like dealing with gruff and bearded prospectors like us. We'll have dirty clothes and unkempt hair and our squirrels on our shoulders. We'll look very out of place in the shiny white halls of laboratories, and our dirty hoses will connect our ships to their tanks as we accept payment in nothing other than gold bullion.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited Jan 2008
    I think it's time to get some rifles, an airship, some cowboy hats and trenchcoats, and a pet squirrel, and become helium prospectors.

**** yes.

We'll fend off helium pirates, we'll have air combat with rival prospectors, and we'll discover an underground city of helium-exhaling gelatinous beings whom we have shared the earth with for hundreds of thousands of years.

It'll be ****ing rad.

How long have you been inhaling that stuff for?
    oni_dels
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited Jan 2008
    My facility is one of the largest producers of Helium. We have Central Helium Liquidifier that condenses the helium in the air and extracts it. We use it to cool our research projects. There's plenty.... Continue sucking it out of your party balloons!!! ;D
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited Jan 2008
    Lol :P I hate how the media makes us think we're all doomed repeatedly. "Global warming!" "Nuke alert!" "Armageddon?" "St. Blair pronounced pope!". When in actual fact "Too many cars" "Someone farted into a nuclear substance test" "a rock 400 bagillion years away has been spotted" "Tony blair tries peace". Myeh >.<
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited Jan 2008
    Meh. I'll just become a barber, and cut the prospector's hair for free, on the condition that I get to keep all the helium I find in the clippings. I won't be rich, but I also wont have to fight air pirates which, frankly, are the worst kind.
    edited Jan 2008
    They're not AIR PIRATES. They're HELIUM PIRATES. They come from below with their HELIUM BALLOONSHIPS and drill into your storage tanks. Then they siphon the helium using hand-pumped bellows into their shoddy tanks quickly, leaving you in a lurch. The problems are twofold: You lost your treasurelode, AND you lose the buoyancy boost that comes from the added helium. Return trips are always FASTER because of the helium, you see.

So, lightened with their new load of fresh helium, they jet off faster than you - it's a constant battle!
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited Jan 2008
    They're not AIR PIRATES. They're HELIUM PIRATES. They come from below with their HELIUM BALLOONSHIPS and drill into your storage tanks. Then they siphon the helium using hand-pumped bellows into their shoddy tanks quickly, leaving you in a lurch. The problems are twofold: You lost your treasurelode, AND you lose the buoyancy boost that comes from the added helium. Return trips are always FASTER because of the helium, you see.

So, lightened with their new load of fresh helium, they jet off faster than you - it's a constant battle!

yar, they be piratin' with an air of indifference
    midga
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited Jan 2008
    I move to have tt's post stricken from the record.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited Jan 2008
    underground city of helium-exhaling gelatinous beings whom we have shared the earth
    Oh, you mean MySpace? Anyone can join, right?
    primesuspect
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited Jan 2008
    CB Droege wrote:
    I move to have tt's post stricken from the record.

You love it.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I have the rifles, now all we need are the squirrels, ships, and trenchcoats. I have one question since sea pirates say YYYAAAAARRRRR or some variation what do the helium pirates say.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    They say the same, just in a much higher-pitched voice.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    YYYYYYAAAAAAAIIIIIIR.
    edited May 2008
    Excellent thread revival. This is the best thread on icrontic, for sure.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    http://www.blastvalve.com/Interests/Airships/

For only 1.46 million, this ship could be ours.
    edited Sep 2008
    I'm just gonna go ahead and bump this thread again, for good measure.

Also, this needs to be a part of the ever-evolving story:

[12:37] {@primesuspect} HELIUM?
    [12:37] {@primesuspect} WHAR?
    [12:38] {@primesuspect} Sers, if thar be helium about, I'll be knowin' about it, aye, you can be sure.
    [12:38] {@primesuspect} And that thar wench, she not have helium
    [12:39] {@primesuspect} Aye, they say that helium ha' not a scent... But I say that be lies. I can smell a whiff o' helium from fifty paces.
    [12:39] {@primesuspect} Lass, were there any helium to be had, you can be sure that I'd be the one a'havin' it.
    [12:40] * +Gnome_Queenz steels teh heleeum
    [12:40] {+Gnome_Queenz} I HAZ HELEEUM!
    [12:40] {@primesuspect} damnable ninjas. They get tangled up in the riggin'. Aye, hop around like spider monkeys, they do.
    [12:41] {@primesuspect} We ere have to be coatin' the ropes with grease to make quick work o' the ninjas
    [12:41] {@primesuspect} that's only when we set sail for the eastern kingdoms, though.
    [12:41] * +Gnome_Queenz uses the heleeum to blow back up her bubble
    [12:41] {@primesuspect} Not much helium to be had out thar.
    [12:42] {@primesuspect} Although ol' Festerin' Faye an' her Smoke Dogs did strike a motherlode out there on that island Okinawa. Got away clean, too, she did.
    [12:43] {@primesuspect} Were that I were there to intercept. You betchya the Blue Oktober could outpace her Rancid Jackass any day the sun rises.
    [12:43] {@primesuspect} As it were, it were just Yellow Bill and his whoreson dogs, crew made up o' misfits and vagrants.
    [12:44] {@primesuspect} Couldn't catch a real pirate if their lives were dependin' on it
    [12:45] {@primesuspect} Ah Iraq, now THAR'S a land just waitin' ta be tapped. Rumor has it that thar be helium under that sand, aye.
    [12:45] {@primesuspect} One day the Blue Oktober will make her way to Babylon, the land o' the ancients, as it were... We'll get to the truth, you can be sure.
    [12:45] {+Gnome_Queenz} (how do we get him to shut up?)
    [12:47] {+tiberiuslazarus} (talk in parentheses, he can't read it )
    [12:47] {@primesuspect} Har! The wench tells Papa Prime ta be silent! I oughtta ha' ye roped and hung about the rigging fer good luck on our next voyage!
    [12:47] {@primesuspect} Course, yer no maiden
    [12:47] {@primesuspect} perhaps we'd better not. The Blooded Curse and all....
    Creeperbane2
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Sep 2008
    Crack is wack.
    edited Nov 2009
    Yarrr. The Cap'n an' his crew be droppin' by this Decemberween.....
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited Nov 2009
    It doesn't help that they closed the helium plant in Amarillo, TX and tore up the tracks that went to it. I was living there when they did that, back around the mid to late 90's. That plant had a debt to it from when it was first opened that was never paid, that ballooned to $1billion by the time they closed it.

So... the only other place is Russia that is active in helium processing.
    edited Nov 2009
    Yar, that be true... that be true...
  • drasnordrasnor Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2009
    WHO'S WITH ME?!?!? We'll have ADVENTURES.

We'll have to deal with shady NASA reps, and they won't like dealing with gruff and bearded prospectors like us. We'll have dirty clothes and unkempt hair and our flying squirrels on our shoulders. We'll look very out of place in the shiny white halls of laboratories, and our dirty hoses will connect our ships to their tanks as we accept payment in nothing other than gold bullion.
    Fixed.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited Dec 2011
    Yarrr.. bompz
    edited Dec 2011
    Nearly four years after it began, I still knew exactly which thread this was when it showed up in my User CP today.
    All I can say is, the Blue Oktober had better offer inflight WiFi.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    I figured with all the talk of Helium Wars that this thread would rise up

-Digi
  • IvanIvan
    walks by in the background dragging a helium tank.
    Icrontian
    walks by in the background dragging a helium tank.