If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Beyond Good and Evil 2

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited May 2008 in The Pub
The sequel to 2003's Beyond Good and Evil game is in the works, without Ubisoft's approval. (Thanks rolleggroll!)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    YUS! We were just talking about how great this game is the other day. $9 on Steam will get you the original, which is an excellent game.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'm not going to be sad sally here but.... ok, I am.

I'm not getting my hopes up yet. In fact,I take this with a very small grain of salt.

LET ME EXPLAIN.

I've been a rabid BGE fan for years. Since 2004 actually. I LIVED on the official BGE forums for the greater part of 3 years waiting for any and all news of the sequel (game was originally penned as a trilogy). That was a great community, but I eventually left because it died. Lack of news/progress took it's toll on all of us. One by one we slowly left until it was pretty much devoid of any cognative activity. Not counting the IC forums, I've yet to see a stronger community online than that of the official BGE forums when it was in it's prime.

I've heard rumors. I've heard them all. I've gotten my hopes up time after time upon catching wind of a sequel in the works. But it never actually turns out that way. JeuxVideo has reported before that BGE2 was on the way. 2005 actually. They said that after Ancel finished the official King Kong game (the FPS one) that his next project was BGE2 (confirmed by Ancel). Of course, this wasn't true. Rayman Raving Rabbids 1 and 2 came and went. No word of BGE2.

Ubisoft continued to deny any and all information regarding it. And they were telling the truth. We had insiders in those forums, people who had close contacts and connections at Ubi. Nothing was happening.

I watched Ubisoft ignore thousands of fans, petitions, projects, donations, everything. They took a fantastic game and single handedly wasted any chance of giving us what we really deserved. They've bastardized any attempts to keep hope alive.

See, Ubi killed the game themselves. When BGE was released, during the SAME WEEK Ubi also released Prince of Persia. They had direct competition with one of their own products. Ubi gave all the marketing money and attention to PoP, and gave nothing to BGE. As a result, no one bought the game. Despite absolute rave reviews, endless plugs from many publications, and a cult following that had a rabid obsession with the game, Ubi continued to ignore it. BGE was reduced to a $20 price tag within just a month or two after release. That's how poorly it sold. I picked it up at this price because I read that it was good, and it was lacking sales. Couldn't pass up on that price. I bought it on PS2 and fell in love with it. I beat it and went out and bought a copy of the game on PC. Replayed it there. Couldn't get enough.

It's a real shame. It's a brilliant game with incredible storytelling. Oh yeah, and it's original. Hard enough to find that aspect in anything these days. And the music, oh the music, it was beautiful.

I've learned in my years of being beat down and kicked that I shouldn't get my hopes up. And until Ubi green-lights the project, you probably shouldn't either. Ubi is the fortress here. They own the rights, they make the call. Until they say BGE2 is good to go, it really doesn't matter how much work Ancel has gotten done. He is very passionate about the game. But that mean nothing if Ubi doesn't agree.

I've always believed that we'd see BGE2 eventually. Though those thoughts are years old. It gets harder to keep those thoughts in light. The masses have cried out for a sequel and what has Ubi done? Given us 4 Prince of persia games in about 5 years. They know where the easy money is. They're not interested in the risk it seems. But if BGE2 does in fact become a reality, I will probably end up buying a next-gen console just to play it.

I'm that into it.

If I haven't stressed it enough, do not miss out on this game. I may even put together a review for the game to gain interest.

/rant
    edited May 2008
    I think IC needs to publish a new, shiny review of the game now that it's a $9 download on Steam.

It's too good a game to let it falter. Perhaps Ubi is using Steam to see if there's commercial interest in the product.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'll get right one it. (and by right on it, I mean probably not until Sunday. You know, wedding and all)
  • mas0nmas0n dallas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Just bought it, downloading now. It's HL2 weekend for me, but I think I might try to find some time for it.
    edited May 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    Just bought it, downloading now. It's HL2 weekend for me, but I think I might try to find some time for it.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Should I go with the PC or PS2 version.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I just beat it on my pc about 20 minutes ago (the first one). It was pretty good. Good storytelling, good puzzles and decent play 'till finish time (I found about everything in the game and beat it in 7-8 hours). I am not disappointed in my $9.

It was a refreshing game to play in between my RTS's and FPS's much like Psychonauts was when I played it. Recommended play for pretty much everybody. The ending made me very disappointed that the sequel isn't out yet :wink:
    edited May 2008
    precisely. The game was never intended to stand-alone. A sequel is so required.

I really hope Ubi shapes up.
    edited May 2008
    Hey Lynxie ;)

bge2.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Yus... I've been made aware... and I am happy.

And I'll say it right here, right now.

If they don't confirm this game to be a PC release... I will buy a PS3 for it.

I will buy a PS3 to play Beyond Good and Evil 2.

BTW, I'm currently working on a review for BGE. It's absolutely necessary at this point in time.
    So how's that going? :D
    LOL. About as good as BGE2's development is :P

The rumors never stop coming. Now it's Nintendo and maybe an NX exclusive...

NX would be a pre-order launch day stand-in-line kind of purchase for me if it launched with BG&E 2

UPSLynx

The realest real talk. I wan to believe. I want it so bad. So many other games get stuck in limbo and my hype eventually falters, but not BG&E. I need this game to be a reality, I don't care what platform it ends up on.

If BG&E launched at NintendoHQ a day early, I'm flying out and sleeping on your couch

UPSLynx

Deal. We can walk there from my place.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

The ultimate tragedy is that even if this game is released it can't live up to more than a decade worth of hype

CB

Here's the thing. There isn't a decade's worth of hype. This isn't like Half-Life 3, because most gamers didn't play BGE or just didn't care. The only people that are losing their shit about this game are people who fell in love with the game when it came out back in 2003. BGE hasn't topped "best of all time" lists like Half-Life has, and most people don't understand why they should care because the game was a commercial failure and doomed to cult classic status.

The reason Beyond Good and Evil 2 hasn't been made in the last 16 years is because it's not a hype-driven game. It's not going to make Ubisoft money in a way Far Cry or Assassins Creed will do. Real talk.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 will be a passion project for Ancel, and it'll make long time fans happy, and then it'll be forgotten and that'll be the end of it. There is no real expectation around a game like this. Ubisoft knows what they're getting themselves into, and I can guarantee you they're not expecting this to be a hit. And I'm pretty sure the die hard fans have similar expectations. We just want the story to be completed. That's it. We miss Jade and Pey'j and Double H. We don't need much, we just need something.

I think it would take a serious amount of effort to make Beyond Good and Evil 2 a let down. It just needs to happen for us happy few. That's it, really.

All that being said, I'll believe this when I'm playing the damn thing. I'm disappointed they didn't make a bigger deal out of "officially" announcing this. Same old same old. Wake me up when the game has a new trailer.

It's all just propaganda

UPSLynx
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

UPSLynx
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian

Okay. Okay. Installing BG&E when I get home tonight and really going to play it this time. I've been meaning to for so long, and it's just been sitting there in my GOG library waiting.

It's so good

Canti

I'm seriously impressed with how well it's aged, too. The controls are super tight, the stylized visuals are still SUPER beautiful. The soundtrack is GOAT.

Some of the story element and drama, as well as the real-time action sequences that feel like a playable movie, have been done so much these days that those parts feel less impactful. Outside of that, though, this game is still top tier.

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Belkan Air Force 22nd Air Div. 4th Tactical Fighter Sqn. Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

CON-FUCKING-FIRMED!!!

UPSLynxBuddyJ
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited 12 Jun

UPSLynx