If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Did you know...

MrTRiotMrTRiot Living in the North Icrontian
edited May 2009 in The Pub
I thought it'd be a cool idea for a thread. So i'll go first!

"Did you know that apple seeds contain 10% hydrogen cyanide?" :eek:

*waits for some replies*

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Mar 2009
    Did you know that your body is capable of metabolizing hydrogen cyanide in small amounts?
    kimono54
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited Mar 2009
    Arrrggh,

Did ye know hydrogen cyanide was used as the killing agent on whaling harpoons?
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Living in the North Icrontian
    edited Mar 2009
    Did you know Hydrogen Cyanide is the pre cursor for all life on this planet and is actually how scientists are attempting to find life on other planets?
    edited Mar 2009
    *adds another*

Did you know that ingestion of hand sanitizer by small children can result in alcohol poisoning?
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Mar 2009
    Someone is reading snopes today.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited Mar 2009
    Did you know that the quotation marks above are apparently not quoting anything in your link? :eek: :)

Xyclon B was the gas producing agent that was used in Nazi extermination camps. It's a nerve agent, an insecticide-derived chemical.

Mustard gas was used in World War I in trench warfare on both sides of the conflict. Mustard gas is a blister agent.
  • edited Mar 2009
    "Did you know that ingestion of hand sanitizer by small children can result in alcohol poisoning?"

Did you know that a local news station deemed this newsworth in KC, MO last week?

Also, did you know that according the the BMI scale developed by the US government, that Dwayne Johnson (the rock) has a BMI of 31.8, making him obese?
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited Mar 2009
    Did you know that if you starve yourself for a while, your body will produce acetone as a by-product which will be detectable in your breath simply by smelling?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited Mar 2009
    And knowing is half the battle.
    Cliff_Forster
    edited Mar 2009
    Myrmidon wrote:
    Did you know that if you starve yourself for a while, your body will produce acetone as a by-product which will be detectable in your breath simply by smelling?

Sorta kinda true, but not really.

What you're actually referring to is a process called ketosis wherein the body will convert fat stores into <i>ketones</i> which are burned for energy. The body will only enter into this state when its caloric requirement is otherwise met without using significant carbohydrates. Otherwise the body will enter into catabolysis which burns muscular proteins for energy.

Muscular density is the first to go in any nutritionally-deprived individual because it is the highest-density store of nutritious calories in the body. The body also prefers to retain fat because mammals require fat stores for thermoregulation and starvation avoidance.

Presuming you're not on a ketogenic diet or starving to death, your body normally uses glycogen for energy, which is an intramuscular sugar catalyzed by insulin in a process known as glycogenesis as a result of carbohydrate ingestion.
    edited Mar 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Sorta kinda true, but not really.

What you're actually referring to is a process called ketosis wherein the body will convert fat stores into ketones which are burned for energy. The body will only enter into this state when its caloric requirement is otherwise met without using significant carbohydrates. Otherwise the body will enter into catabolysis which burns muscular proteins for energy. Your body normally uses glycogen for energy, which is an intramuscular sugar catalyzed by insulin in a process known as glycogenesis as a result of carbohydrate ingestion.

Actually I do have this right, although the term 'starving' is inaccurate, and your statement is more accurate. Ketosis is driven by excess oxidation of fatty acids - after fully oxidized, the remnants of a fatty acid are energetic goodies (like NADH) and one in particular called acetyl Co-enzyme A. Further oxidation of two acetyl Co-As results in acetoacetyl CoA, which is the precursor to the ketosis pathway (and also, in fact, the precursor to a cholesterol intermediate).

When ketosis produces acetoacetate, acetoacetate is reduced by NADH to beta-3-Hydroxybutyrate reversibly. A side product occurs her, however, which produces an acetone molecule in addition to molecular oxygen. This side reaction is irreversible.

See page 631 of the 6th edition of Biochemistry by Berg, Tymoczko, and Stryer. //edit - fixed the author - I had this confused with Lecture Notes in Biochemistry by Freeman. It's probably in there too.

Also, I love you for knowing about this stuff. :)

//edit - fixed the author - I had this confused with Lecture Notes in Biochemistry by Freeman. It's probably in there too.

//further edit - I just found the book on the web, for anyone who's interested.

http://books.google.com/books?id=TcxOR7v-gBQC&pg=PR28&lpg=PR28&dq=biochemistry+berg+page+661+ketone&source=bl&ots=B_JkEvu0As&sig=5Ssq8s0TNg8xt5kqmxQpGkrxvv4&hl=en&ei=5hDNSebDDaPnnQf-juTHCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA631,M1
    edited Mar 2009
    I know more than I ever wanted to know about tricking the human body into doing wacky shit it normally won't do. :/ sigh.

//edit: Actually, I think I have that book. D:
    edited Mar 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I know more than I ever wanted to know about tricking the human body into doing wacky shit it normally won't do. :/ sigh.

//edit: Actually, I think I have that book. D:

I think that post merits a 'did you know' statement! Give us something good. :)
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited Mar 2009
    Did you know:

That putting your body into Ketosis through using the Ketogenic diet is a method that is used to treat refractory (difficult to control) epilepsy, and for some people is better than anticonvulsants?
    edited Mar 2009
    Alright...

Did you know that HIIT cardio is 73% more effective than endurance cardio, and has been proven to produce metabolic elevation for more than 24 hours after completion?
    edited Mar 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Alright...

Did you know that HIIT cardio is 73% more effective than endurance cardio, and has been proven to produce metabolic elevation for more than 24 hours after completion?

I did not know this. And it explains a LOT. Wow.

Did you know that toothpaste is poisonous, and that if you eat more than what you'd put on a toothbrush, you should call poison control?
    edited Mar 2009
    You'd have to eat a whole tube to get fluoride toxicity. :P
    edited Mar 2009
    Travel sized tube or full sized tube?
    edited Mar 2009
    DYK:

Most of the causes of aging are due to superoxides produced accidentally during metabolism. If you live a perfect 1000 cal lifestyle (intake and output), you'll age slower without losing weight.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited Mar 2009
    Perhaps on an exterior level, but the causes of aging are really due to the inevitable shortening of your telomeres on a cellular level. You can eat perfectly your entire life, but your cells will still all die right on schedule. :)
    edited Mar 2009
    Travel sized tube or full sized tube?

Full-sized.

DYK that the dorsal strength of human bones exceed that of aircraft aluminum?
    edited Mar 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Perhaps on an exterior level, but the causes of aging are really due to the inevitable shortening of your telomeres on a cellular level. You can eat perfectly your entire life, but your cells will still all die right on schedule. :)

You are correct! Superoxides play a role in the shortening of telomeres (although they are not the driving factor, they just increase the intensity of the phenomenon).
    edited Mar 2009
    Did you know that research has been done on lethal injection that says it doesn't even pass the standards for putting down animals?
    edited Mar 2009
    Did you know:

That putting your body into Ketosis through using the Ketogenic diet is a method that is used to treat refractory (difficult to control) epilepsy, and for some people is better than anticonvulsants?

Did you know a treatment for epilepsy is the severing of the corpus collosum, which results in some extremely odd effects - in one case, a patient of the surgery awoke to find one of her hands trying to strangle her, and had to fight it off with the other hand.
    edited Mar 2009
    dr-strangelove.jpg
    primesuspect
    edited Mar 2009
    Myrmidon wrote:
    Did you know a treatment for epilepsy is the severing of the corpus collosum, which results in some extremely odd effects - in one case, a patient of the surgery awoke to find one of her hands trying to strangle her, and had to fight it off with the other hand.

I did know this! It's most commonly used when seizures primarily come from one side of the brain or the other.
    edited Mar 2009
    ..Did you know that Karl Brandt, the personal physician of Adolf Hitler is the "Father of lethal injection"? :wtf:
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited Mar 2009
    Did you know that there was a comic series created called Marvel Zombies in which all the superpowered heroes of the Marvel universe are infected my an alien virus and become zombies or the "undead". Wikipedia entry.
    edited Mar 2009
    DYK:

I love topics like this and want to hear more?
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited Mar 2009
    DYK that it is impossible to poo without peeing?