If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Feeling Old

IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly IncandescentToronto, Ontario Icrontian
edited Dec 2011 in The Icrontic Pub
So the basis of this topic is that I feel old, not all the time mind you really only when I'm discussing movies and video games with the 6th grade class I'm a co-op teacher for. (Think student teacher only Universities don't care.)

We're having a discussion during the lunch period, after all a lot of them have interests in superheros, video games, and to some extent movies so when a discussion about one of those topics begin they're almost always asking me questions relating to said topics.

The discussion of the day was video games, specifically favourite shooters so when it comes around that they ask me the first thing I say is 007 Goldeneye and they begin asking me why its not BF3 or MW3 before one of them says "Goldeneye: Reloaded isn't even a good game" so naturally I tried explaining to them that I meant the original...which apparently none of them knew about in any way, shape or form, after all the first 'shooter' these kids played was likely COD MW2.

Once I get around to graphics the same one then says "Wow that game must be ancient."

Now I was 4 when the game came out but I started playing it when I was 5 when my cousin introduced me to it (Badly of course but I had a lot of fun and I ended up getting my own copy for my 6th birthday.) I've also played a multitude of other games and I've never felt old playing any of them because most were made around when I was born (Or little at least) and I picked them up eventually.

Graphics have never bothered me as much as they have say my friends or younger generations (Not all of course but I've met a few who couldn't fathom playing Deus Ex because it 'looks bad')

Naturally this discussion made me feel old because I'm talking about and enjoying things they believe to be 'ancient' and/or had no idea they even existed.

I'm 17 for crying out loud most adults still call me 'kid' and will continue to do so at any opportunity for the next month (Got one Irish teacher who says he'll call me lad nonstop till my birthday) meanwhile there are little kids only 5/6/7 years younger than me who are making me feel old simply because of the video games I play.

What the hell society!

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    They're not young, they're just uncultured and/or stupid.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Consider it an opportunity to further their education, even outside the classroom. :)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Yeah, it's crazy weird that most kids that are "gamers" today don't know many games outside of CoD or Halo or whatever popular shooter BS is out there. There is much missed opportunity for awesome gaming.

It's interesting that these popular shooters have ushered in a massive new crowd to our favorite hobby - much in the way the Wii or Angry Birds did for those that play casual games. All these people playing, but they have no interest in expanding their experiences beyond these core games.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Simple. If you guys haven't played manic miner, jet set willy, head over heels, horace goes skiing, winter games or shinobi... you have no real gaming cred #reallyold

CoD? Pffft.

10 PRINT "This game will take ages to load from a cassette"
    20 GOTO 10
    RUN

Now back onto the subject at hand. Fundamentally, generations are generations. I was brought on the above. CoD, Halo etc is their version of it.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Member
    edited Nov 2011
    Shorty said:

10 PRINT "This game will take ages to load from a cassette"
    20 GOTO 10
    RUN

Brought back a lot of great memories...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Watching the mere mortals in chaos from high atop Mt. Olympus Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Hell, when I was growing up, the only games we had were stick ball, marbles, walking on old pop cans, balloons on bike spokes and keil yer neighbor.

...and no, i wasn't into the Scotch again!
  • SonorousSonorous Virginia Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Ah man. Memory lane. Playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on Friday nights with the guys. Also playing hours and hours of Tribes, Age of Empires II and Counter Strike 1.2 after school. Those were the days man.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    10 poke 764,255
    20 print "hello!"
    30 poke 764,0
    40 goto 10
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    primesuspect said:
    10 poke 764,255
    20 print "hello!"
    30 poke 764,0
    40 goto 10
    Hehehe-- excuse me, hahaha, emulating ROFLMAO (can't ROF yet after hip surgery so I LMAO).... And I thought I was old when I first saw that and found it funny that the person who showed it to me (8 Bit Atari BASIC, AFAIK) was full of pride at knowing that trick...

No, my ID has not been hacked. :D
    edited Nov 2011
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Slightly off topic, but what makes me feel old is thinking that Nirvana was popular 20 years ago.
    edited Nov 2011
    One of my favorite albums of all time, Pearl Jam's TEN, is TWENTY. Blargh!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Apple ][ games. 'Nuff said.
    edited Nov 2011
    primesuspect said:
    One of my favorite albums of all time, Pearl Jam's TEN, is TWENTY. Blargh!
    SHUT UP (I remember buying it when it came out :() that has made me feel really old, damn it, damn it to hell. DAMN IT.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    I was a sophomore in college when Ten and Nirvana's Nevermind came out.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen Greetings from Michigan, the great lakes state Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    For me it's that I play TF2 games, and even though I'm still accused of being 9 all the time, I'm actually usually older than all of the people I end up playing with if it's not Icrontians, even though some of them have super deep voices and hence sound like 45 year old smokers... (Cough cough COLA)

...but more than that, the fact that there are people that can drink legally now that were born in the 90s! SO. WEIRD.
    edited Nov 2011
    I was recently talking to some lads in a band that was playing a gig with my friends band. They had never heard of the band on my t-shirt.... Carcass (a classic 90's death metal band). I suddenly felt very old.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen Greetings from Michigan, the great lakes state Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Shorty said:
    I was recently talking to some lads in a band that was playing a gig with my friends band. They had never heard of the band on my t-shirt.... Carcass (a classic 90's death metal band). I suddenly felt very old.
    I've never heard of Carcass. :D
    edited Nov 2011
    Gnome Queen said:
    I've never heard of Carcass. :D
    Damn kids (and non-metal fans) 'shakes old mans fist in the air'
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Shorty said:
    Damn kids (and non-metal fans) 'shakes old mans fist in the air'
    More like your hand shakes itself, amirite?

/probablygoingtohell
    edited Nov 2011
    I only feel old when I flip to the "classic rock" radio station and 50% of it ends up being the music I listened to in highschool...

That's why I stick to Pandora now... and trying to buy as much new music as I can...

Pearl Jam - 20 years old
    Nirvana - 20 years old
    Metallica - 30 years old
    Megadeth - 28 years old
    Nine Inch Nails - 23 years old

Hell, even Slipknot is 16 years old now!!!
    edited Nov 2011
    Tushon said:
    More like your hand shakes itself, amirite?

/probablygoingtohell
    Cruel dude.

< yoda > Sensitive about your age you will be, when hit my age you do < /yoda >
    edited Nov 2011
    LazarusXero said:
    I only feel old when I flip to the "classic rock" radio station and 50% of it ends up being the music I listened to in highschool...

That's why I stick to Pandora now... and trying to buy as much new music as I can...

Pearl Jam - 20 years old
    Nirvana - 20 years old
    Metallica - 30 years old
    Megadeth - 28 years old
    Nine Inch Nails - 23 years old

Hell, even Slipknot is 16 years old now!!!
    Going to go find something hip and modern.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    I hear this new band "Hanson" is pretty good. Those girls are gonna be cute when they grow up.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Brian, if it makes you feel any better, I'm older than Nevermind by 3 days, so my whole life I will be quantifying lengths of time to how old Nevermind is.

Also Snark, I saw Hanson live one time in Oklahoma when I was like 9.
    edited Nov 2011
    I'm old enough to remember this commercial:

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Shorty said:
    < yoda > Sensitive about your age you will be, when hit my age you do < /yoda >
    :grumble: :shakehead :tim:
  • MAGICMAGIC Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    I just turned 25, it sucks.
  • JokkeJokke Nuvsvaag, Norway Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Being 22 is quite alright.
    edited Nov 2011
    Jokke said:
    Being 22 is quite alright.
    MAGIC said:
    I just turned 25, it sucks.

That's funny, I'm 34, but my brain still thinks I'm somewhere between 22 and 25... I'm going to be the epitome of a dirty old man someday soon and it's going to be GLORIOUS!!1!!

I think the only difference between being 24 and 34 is now I can afford all of my habits and hobbies... that, and I have to get up at 5am for work everyday :grumble: but there are trade-offs in life, I guess...
    edited Nov 2011
    I have the opposite experience; when I was 24 I could afford all my habits and hobbies, and now at 34 I'm broke as fuck! :p
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    primesuspect said:
    I have the opposite experience; when I was 24 I could afford all my habits and hobbies, and now at 34 I'm broke as fuck! :p
    Forums and gaming computers or machines for four people and food, etc, add up.

I am single, almost no expenses, older computers-- need to build me something LOTS FASTER :D (Fantasy-- RL: broke :( )-- and have a simple life except for the massive hip replacement repercussions(never have had so many cut muscles screaming with pain (that prescribed pain medication only partly kills) as they are exercised back into health in my life), and the bills from surgery, post surgery care, and paying physical therapists were huge (before medicare and hospital write-offs for some of it since mom volunteers at the local hospital and the hospital writeoffs between medicare adjustments and pure writeoff/credit of the remaining 20% of pure medicare-allowed pure hospital bill were quite large-- about $10,000.00 in written off hospital credits so far)) and ripped up my computer build savings totally (had about 2K set aside for a computer build) and took some of Mom's savings to pay also(temporarily). I think I might have about $200.00 saved for computer build after I pay mom back, which will take a while (year or two of payments). Ah, well, sans the writeoffs and medicare I would be 40K+ in debt to Mom and broke so there are bright sides on top of clouds. :p
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Watching the mere mortals in chaos from high atop Mt. Olympus Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Kwitko said:
    I'm old enough to remember this commercial:

The rest of you youngsters can all suck eggs! Without exageration I can still remember this.....

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Being 36 I've seen the evolution of the electronic and internet age first hand. I remember vinyl records, betamax and phones with rotary dials.

Two sides of the argument as an older generation tries to releate to younger people...

A. Younger kids just don't have the life experience and perspective to understand us.

B. Older people (me) tend to over romanticize things that really are not as great as we remember them.

Let's face it, Goldeneye has not aged that well. It's not to say that there is not an interesting story to tell about how much we loved it years ago, but to think a ten year old should be interested in it now? I tend to over romanticize these sorts of things all the time. The stuff we loved as a kid, in some ways its always a part of who we are, and we naturally want to share that with younger people to connect. Some things, like Star Wars and Super Mario Bros. have aged really gracefully and evolved in a way to help us share in those things, while other things we loved may not be nearly as cool as we remember them.

I was in a comic book store with my 22 year old step son recently. They had some old school Mego Super Hero Dolls, and I was like, look son, this is so "RAD!" I had those! He just looked at me in disgust, like dude, you really played dress up with your super hero toys, man, your childhood was freaking lame. Obviously Mego Super Hero's are nowhere as cool as I think they are.
    edited Nov 2011
    Cliff_Forster said:

B. Older people (me) tend to over romanticize things that really are not as great as we remember them.

This. I bought a PS3 a few years ago and the first thing I did was download an old playstation classic: Syphon Filter. In my mind it was one of the most awesome games I have played. Sadly, it has not aged well and felt really clunky/unplayable. I actually wish I hadn't spoilt that memory!
    edited Nov 2011
    I remeber when I only had 2 items in my favorites. Icrontic and Joe Cartoon. :crazy:
    edited Nov 2011
    Bloody hell, Joe Cartoon!
  • drasnordrasnor Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Shorty said:
    This. I bought a PS3 a few years ago and the first thing I did was download an old playstation classic: Syphon Filter. In my mind it was one of the most awesome games I have played. Sadly, it has not aged well and felt really clunky/unplayable. I actually wish I hadn't spoilt that memory!
    That sucks. I recently bought Final Fantasy IX and Xenogears on the PlayStation Store and they are both exactly as awesome as I remembered.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
    edited Dec 2011
    My ex-wife related to me one day that she felt old when she was trying to teach a class of college freshmen about the mathematics of voting, and she made a reference to hanging chads, and no one in the class remembered the 2000 election.

Also, Perfect Dark (N64) was the last console FPS I can legitimately say I was decent at.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek IREEELAND Icrontian
    edited Dec 2011
    I've felt old ever since my friends started having babies on purpose.
    edited Dec 2011
    I've been feeling old ever since my nephew was old enough to have an illegitimate child of his own...