If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

MLP: FiM discussion thread

Comments

• BasilBasil Nubcaek IREEELAND Icrontian
    edited Aug 2012
    BobbyDigi said:

Seriously? A musician is giving up. Happens every day. I couldn't even read that terrible blog post. Maybe he can focus on education now instead of pony music.

Ha! I was gonna post this but thought better of it.
    Agree 100% though.
  • colacola the dick man himself Right behind you Icrontian
    The main reason I'm sad he's giving up is that there won't be any more of these:

• BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    No, really though. the reason I'm sad is because Tombstone IS a good guy. He's done tons of collabs, ecouraged others actively to give music a try (and inspired others indirectly). Not to mention, the guy is funny as fuck.

I think he at least deserves a mention, you know?
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout New Mexico Icrontian
    You may remember a certain animatic of Luna singing a song and flying with young ones. On the image thread I put up a recap of what the two animators had done so far. I checked in tonight and found two things:

1: Lion's extra work that was requested of him turns out to be animating for the brony documentary. Woo! However he said that Children of the Night as the animation is called will be in hiatus until he is done working with the documentary.

2: They decided to release a teaser trailer of what is done so far check it.

HOLY !@#$ that is great!
    UPSLynx
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Wow, that looks fantastic. Holy crap.
    You know, that documentary...Mic the Microphone announced a week or so ago that he was finally able to reveal that he'd been asked by John De Lancie himself to help write a song for the documentary, that De Lancie HIMSELF was going to perform.

What do you wanna bet that the animation work for that is gonna be some sort of Discord number?

ALSO. when the documentary drops, are we gonna do a special stream for it? I'm honestly interested in seeing it, though I'd understand if other folks weren't.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Everyone who reads this should be interested. It's about you.
    I hereby make a motion that Rarity should now be known as "Butt Stallion".

If you don't know why, then you haven't been playing Borderlands 2 (and shame on you, it's -amazing-).
    Guppy
    If I was the only one to make that connection then something would have been wrong.
    can't wait for them beacons
    Love it. Notch actually mentioned Dash when he called into Desert Bus last year. Good stuff.
    We've got a month for Season 3.

My more recent guesses were right on the money, it seems. While there isn't specifics (this isn't their -big- announcement they've been talking about), I'd wager mid-to-late november.

Perhaps Cola will be available in time for Season 3 to start? Not sure how that whole thing with his training works, but I'd figure Basic should be over by then.
    I think Cola will be just in time for the new season. I think it's 8 weeks for bootcamp.

Not sure how free he'll be in schooling afterwards though. He definitely won't be up for any late nights.
    edited Oct 2012
    SO. New York Comic Con has been going down, and yesterday was the MLP panel, with Jayson Theissen (head honcho on the project) and some of the other guys that work on it being there. They let loose a lot of insight into some of the stuff they've been doing and thinking about, and ALSO let loose with another SEASON 3 PREVIEW CLIP.

The entire panel, in fact, is recorded HERE. If you don't want to watch it though, I'll copy-paste a list of the highlights, courtesy of The Round Stable.

For the benefit of those who absolutely are adamant about not putting themselves at risk for possible spoilers, I'm going to put them under the spoiler tag.
    Spoiler:
    From the article~
    Notable pieces include:

-An official soundtrack release strongly hinted.
    -A return visit to Manehattan strongly hinted.
    -“Hasbro loves ponies, a shortened season is no indicator of the future.”
    -Both season 3 songs we’ve seen so far (Crystal Ponies, Failure Song) are from episode one.
    -Meghan all but confirmed an upcoming episode that explores the ancient Celestia/Luna conflict.
    -The villain from the Crystal Empire episodes is named King Somber.
    -Team all but confirmed the return of Discord (not just DeLancie). DeLancie has lots of unused lines from previously that will probably be in the DVD bonus features.
    -Meghan used to use the term pegacorn, but after seeing what fans were using, all the writers now use alicorn instead. Jayson says the fact that alicorns have only been seen in positions of power is definitely by design.
    -Jayson and Meghan were just speculating for the following points but Jayson said he’d really like to visit the griffon kingdom in an upcoming ep, and Meghan said she’d like to see “Luna’s abandoned moon colony.”
    -Jayson called Star Swirl the Bearded the Merlin of Equestria, but it didn’t sound like they had any immediate plans to do anything with him.
    -Meghan and Jayson take the world building very seriously. They helped put together that map but intentionally didn’t make it a globe so they’d have lots of future freedom to explore. They said the worldbuilding is there to reward multiple viewings. It’s never going to be a serialized show, and each episode has to stand on its own, Meghan pointed out the Grand Galloping Gala as an early example of doing callbacks and expanding on the show’s universe.
    -Meghan studied mythology in college and researches myths from many cultures, not just Greece. She says they were going to use a mythological creature at one point and rejected it because it had “human elements” (I’m guessing centaur?)
    -Jayson says they try to keep pony technology limited, with even the filmstrip projector chosen because it’s not modern. Meghan joked we’d never see Twilight tweeting. Jayson later had to shrug his shoulders about the night-vision goggles seen in the clip.
    -Hasbro execs were sitting in the audience (right in front of PictishBeast) and Mike Vogel kept looking over at them when answering questions and they would give imperceptible nods. Pictish felt like Mike was disappointed at not giving a S3 release date.
    -Meghan said she really wants to explore how the monarchy works in an upcoming episode. Not as a joke answer either, she really seemed history-nerd about it. Maybe this will be the Celestia/Luna ep.
    -Hoofed mammals can talk, other animals generally can’t. (Exception for dragons, etc). This came from Lauren early in development. Hoofed mammals are the “people” of Equestria.
    -As a joke, Mike/Brian said that season 12 would feature Spike and Rarity as a couple, following the passage of the “Pony-Dragon Marriage Act.”

ALSO. Just for you guys. I've seen the date being thrown around, and I should note that there is no official confirmation on this, but folks are saying November 10. It should also be noted that Peter New, who does the voice of Big Mac on the show, was on Bronyville this week, and when Sandy threw out the dates of "November 3rd, 10th, or 17th", Peter New said that they might very well be correct, but he couldn't confirm or deny that (of course).
    Ok, so, uh....this is apparently a thing now.

I know NOTHING on this subject, so I'm gonna copy-paste the article from Equestria Daily.

The original article is HERE, in case I botched any of the links in this post.

You guys really make me proud.

What started as a long, drawn-out joke has since then turned into a comparatively large project for several members of the community as they worked to formalize my (admittedly poor) language specification and turn it into something that could actually be implemented and used for real applications.

Let me be clear on that- the current language specification is Turing-complete as far as I can tell. That's a major feat. You could actually use it for projects if you so desired once full-fledged interpreters have been written, and they're already well on their way to doing so.

Thank you all for taking this seed of an idea, planting it, and making something awesome out of it. I'm floored. I've never been happier with our tech-oriented members of the community than I am right now. I could have never done any of this myself, and it shows me how incredibly talented some of you can be if given an idea. I can't take any credit for this. It's all on you guys. You rock.

Click past the break for a breakdown on where everyone has headed with this. Trust me, you're not going to be disappointed. As always, if I missed anything major here, email me at cerealvelocity@equestriadaily.com and I will include it.

Just for reference, here's the original post I made.

-------------------------------

[Syntax Specification] by Digit Shine

Firstly, as promised, there now exists a full, professional syntax specification pulling together all the work that's been done up to this point regarding formalizing the language and how it should appear. The designers have decided to go with a Java-style syntax, like my original spec. This massive document covers everything important: basic syntax, variable assignment, comparison operators, class declaration, interfaces, methods, and includes three example programs. Yes, it has Hello World!

Though (slightly) incomplete, this document would be an invaluable tool to anyone writing an interpreter. It does a fantastic job of ironing out the kinks present in what I originally presented. If you look at nothing else in this compilation, look at this. It's amazing.

[First Forray: 99 Jugs of Cider] by DeftCrow

This was the first comprehensive example program written in the style of the original syntax I laid out, and the first time that some of the original problems were ironed out (excepting the comments section of the blog post) and where the beginnings of a formal BNF specification emerged.

This was featured in the original post, but it was such a seminal document I had to include it.

[FIM++ Interpreter] by Karol 'vytah' Stasiak

Where's the beef? Here's the beef, baby. This is currently the larger of the two FiM++ interpreter projects I have seen thus far. It is available on GitHub and has been released under the GNU General Public License 3. It requires Scala to compile (although JARs are included, though they may be behind the actual source files - see the page for more information) and can do more advanced things like call Java classes within it to bring more power to the language. By itself, it supports integer arithmetic, console output, dynamically growing arrays, and subroutines.

A simple GUI calculator and a Brainfuck interpreter have been written with this code. Remember when I said this stuff was getting real? It got real some time ago.

[Simple Interpreter] by LambdaDusk

This was the first interpreter I saw, and was shown to me on Twitter, though I am unsure as to its progress at this point. If you're there, @LambdaDusk, let me know and I'll update this entry with more information!

As of this moment, though, it's a good example of how the language would be interpreted. It can certainly be extended with any of the above projects, and has the advantage of being web-based, so results are more immediate.
    And pony assimilation continues on.

Don't know much about the subject either. All I can say is keep up the good work.
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Not half as impressive as the mindfuck turing compatible language.

Somewhat impressive sure, but very niche, as someone who programs as a past-time (and who's father codes for a living) learning other coding languages if a better alternative exists is irritating and pointless. (Unless the project required designates that something specific be done easily, in which case you have Pascal, Unicon, Icon, C++, or...Java if you're a masochist)

Oh god just a glance it looks like Java with pony designations. (So masochistic and niche as fuck)
    ....I actually think that's pretty dumb. There's a point when making pony to pony for the sake of it becomes too much.
    @UPSLynx With as long as we're been waiting for Season 3, a lot of folks have kinda been...frothing at the mouth. With so long without pony, and the big block of conventions having passed us by, people are past the point of scraping the bottom of the barrel...now you're kind of at the point where you're filling the apple barrel with pears, and calling them Granny Smith.

Let's just say, Season 3 probably can't come soon enough. You think this shit is cray, wait til the break between Season 3 and Season 4. Holy shit.

Hey, at least these guys are doing -something- to occupy themselves, and probably learning shit in the process. There's been far less constructive ways folks have been occupying themselves, lately. Hell, you should have seen the small explosions of drama about 3 or 4 weeks ago on Tumblr. I'll take something harmless and potentially dumb as the former over the latter, any day.

HOLY FUCK. YOU GUYS.
    I am a HUGE fan of these games.
    This is like a dream come true if they pull this off.

It looks like they've got most of the stuff in place already, and even two-player support, which must mean they're a long ways along with the project already.
    Corporations gonna corp:

http://ponyvillegazette.com/2012/10/22/fewer-episodes-in-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-season-3-explained/

tl;dr, Hasbro is still a company that wants to make profits, and Season 3 being shorter confirms that. Hasbro knows they can make just as much revenue with a shorter, cheaper product.

Meh :/
    What's the phrase going around? "I'm not mad, just ... disappointed ..."
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    edited Oct 2012
    Wow, you actually beat me to it.

This isn't any reason to freak out. Here's the gist of things- MLP has been incredibly lucrative for the HUB. In fact, it's been helping pull the new channel along into higher reaches of success. To that end, they're wanting to expand their bag of tricks. this is, of course, coming in the form of them trying to put out more IPs and do more original programming.

The real truth of the matter is, DHX Studios has been having talent shuffle around to do other things, and not -only- ponies. In particular, in case you haven't heard, the new "The Littlest Pet Shop" cartoon actually has a ton of the VAs, a few of the writers (including M.A. Larson), and even Daniel Ingram and his partner-in-crime working on it. Amy Keating Rogers is currently working as head story editor for Care Bears (though that show seems to not be doing well at all...if she loses her gig there, I'm hoping she gets reabsorbed back into FiM). In fact, the first example seems to be getting the grooming treatment (pardon the pun) to be a higher-quality show like FiM, despite the stigma attached to the brand name. I've seen previews and...I wouldn't say I'm really sold, but, well...I -have- been wrong before.

The thing is, MLP -IS- doing very well. And that's why they feel as if they don't need to push it as hard, and they can relax and let some newer content get some attention as well. There's tons of cartoons that only get 13 eps in a season, and after some looking around, I've kind of discovered we've been a bit spoiled to get two full 26-episode seasons for a show that isn't going to be going anywhere anytime soon after those are up.

Yeah, you heard me right. We're getting season 3, and we ARE getting a season 4, at LEAST. Even if you account for the fact that the HUB would honestly be CRAZY to cancel MLP right now with it doing so good (and still GROWING, by the way), they've already laid down the framework to keep this train rolling for a good long while. Hell, they've already hired at least one more writer onto staff a couple of months back to do writing for season 4. Ponies are getting to be pretty big money right now. More companies are hopping on the licensing bandwagon, and there was an article published a bit ago that was saying that Hasbro estimates around 100 different MLP lines are going out soon.

My point is, we're going to be getting MORE, just in smaller chunks. And honestly, being pressured to do less episodes will give the crew more time to work on it. You have to understand- these guys were working NIGHTMARISH schedules to get the past two seasons out, and look at what we got. Imagine if they actually got the opportunity to take their time on this stuff, season after season? Granted, it'd mean that the breaks in between seasons will seem longer, but this train ain't stopping anytime soon.

If it means less volume now to get more longterm, quality product later down the road, then sign me up. I've doubted them in the past, but I think these guys know what they're doing. They've certainly caught onto this whole phenomenon a lot quicker than I thought they would.

tl;dr
    FREAKOUT GUY is tell ya'll to calm yo tits. This is actually a good thing.

EDIT: @guppy - What the hell is that from? That looks familiar.
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    edited Oct 2012
    Just so you know, today October 25th, is the 2nd birthday of Derpy Hooves.
    Lookit her. She's so excited, she's looking with both eyes!
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Thank you, Hammy. I mean this with all of my utmost sincerity: I needed this, a glimmer of a smile, right now.
    Well...in honor of Derpy Hooves 2nd birthday...goodness. She's had one hell of a 2nd year. She's been pushed more prominantly into the episodes ever since Season 2 came about, to the point where she even got her own episode (it WAS an Applejack episode, but don't kid yourself- when you think of "The Last Roundup", you think "The Derpy Episode"), then it got kinda nuked, but it'll live forever on the internet, just like Derpy herself always will.

Everyone was scared (even myself, admittedly) that Derpy was getting axed, they were gonna PC-Friendly-Bomb her out of existence...

And what has she gotten?

Fan animations.
    Merch.
    And perhaps, in the biggest gesture of goodwill to us, and as a signal that we had nothing to fear- she was made this year's Comic Con Exclusive pony for the Hasbro booth.

I've been saying it for a long time, and I'll continue to say it here and now.
    DERPY HOOVES IS BEST PONE. Pick your fave mane six, or even obsess over Taco-Pony like Lynx does, but at the end of the day- she'll be there waiting. With those goofy, silly eyes, a big grin on her face, and ready to be whatever you want her to be. Because she's a pony by the fandom, of the fandom, for the fandom.

That's what makes her BEST PONE.

We love you, Derpy. Here's to another year!

If you need to know about the proper history of her, Derpy Hooves News has the full report on her origins right over here.
    Juuuust a heads-up. I saw the first 8 minutes of the new episode today.

...shit's gonna be fucking amazing. Just saying that right now, and nothing else.
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Member
    I saw it too, Hammy, and I can't say I'm nearly as excited as you.

The first thing that caught my eye was the animation. It's different. It's much more lifeless and flat. The emotion the characters showed in their postures and movements is reduced. The animation looks smoother, but not necessarily in a good way. Makes it feel more like a web production than a TV production.

The dialogue bugged me as well. Juttery and with a huge lack of fluidity. The language they used was incredibly poor. Granted, that could simply be for the same reason every two-parter they've done is clunky. They're trying to cram a two hour soap opera into 40 minutes. But they can't exactly spread any drama out though given the target audience. They could do it, and it would be much more enjoyable to adult fans, but the kids would get bored.

And the shading. Oh, sweet Jesus, the shading. They cut the feeling of life the bouncy animations give, and replaced it with poor lighting. The shadows look off, like they just duplicated the shapes, changed them to black, shrunk them, and set a blur and low opacity.

And that was all before the intro played. I gave up at that point.
    I want to read this discussion. Is it spoiler free, or should I just stay away?
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    @UPSLynx, It's spoiler free Requit doesn't actually give anything away but from what I gather just through description there's a noticeable drop in quality.
    edited Oct 2012
    @Requit - all I'm gonna say is that you must be much more into the mechanics of animation than I am. I didn't really notice anything about the art (save for a pretty goofy screencap that's been passed around Reddit), and I imagine there's a lot of folks who probably won't see it either. It looked fine to me.

Insofar as the pacing, you need to remember- all of the two-parters have been like this. I WILL admit there was one part of that whole thing I didn't much care for, though~
    Spoiler:
    The song was utter rubbish, IMO. Having Cathy Wesluck (Spike) sing and dance around like a ballarena...I'm not entirely sure what they were thinking. It really does feel like a musical number from a badly-written musical, though- very arbitrary and out of place. But then again, I didn't like it when it was shown a few months back at New York Comic Con, and in-context, it makes little sense, so there you go.

...but that's nowhere near enough to dampen my excitement, it's more than inconsequential enough to tune out. I could make the argument that they could have cut that out and had another 2 or 3 minutes to tell more story, but again- this has been the case for ALL two-parters up to this point.

Trust me, the exposition-fest at the beginning is just the way they kinda have to shotgun the story into the whole thing. Remember, they have to write these episodes to be able to stand on their own- they've already stated that this show won't be serialized. Again, every two-parter has done this. It's the way this show rolls.

Honestly, I really don't think crying foul on the quality of the new season based -only- on an 8-minute preview is very prudent. Then again, I guess you see things from a different POV than I do, so whatevs, we probably won't see eye-to-eye on this.

EDIT: Almost forgot, that face has been vectorized as well (though not color-corrected). And then they flipped the mouth.
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Member
    edited Oct 2012
    @BHHammy - I wasn't trying to call foul, just stating what I observed. I will admit, it comes off as rather alarmist, but it was intended to be more of a critique of what we've been offered instead of an "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" vibe. I've actually sat down and watched through the whole thing twice, once to get a feel for the vibe and the second time to take notes.

When I mentioned the animation, I said that it felt flat and lifeless, and I want to post a visual aid to help explain what I meant. In an attempt to avoid spoilers and keep this accessible, I'm going to use the Simpsons intro for this illustration.

Note the difference between the two. Not the actions, but how the actions are carried out. The top is much more bouncy. The bag crunches when it's plopped into the cart. Maggie's body extends as she gets slid across the scanner. The way Maggie's hair slides back before popping back into place. Speaking of hair, how Marge's flips around. Now, compare that to the bottom example. Maggie's hair hardly moves, and her body doesn't lengthen. The bag's entry into the cart is much less pronounced, and Marge's hair flip is gone. Overall, the second intro looks smoother, but the first intro has more flair and, in my opinion, is much more entertaining to watch.

That's an extreme example of what I'm trying to say about what I've seen with the new season's animation quality. It's not as pronounced as the Simpsons example, but it's certainly flatter and less visually inviting than it's been previously. Then there's things I noticed that stood out on their own, examples being
    Spoiler:
    the running animation the guards were using about 20 seconds in and how they seem to almost slide on the ground instead of run across it, or the wind-splayed hair at about 6:44, and how Twilight's mane seems to be super glued to the base of her neck.

We do seem agree on the issues they're having with pacing their two parters, although I have to say this one feels like it'll be the worst of them. I haven't cringed at lines that bad since I last watched Blood Car. As for the
    Spoiler:
    song, it felt as if they are trying to shoehorn in as many musical numbers as they can, the same sort of feeling I got from S2's two part finale.

TL:DR Hasbro seems to be suffering from the "it's popular enough we can cut time, staff, and money away from its budget" mentality, and it's starting to show.
    I've seen that Simpsons comparison before, that's still plain scary. I really still don't see any degredation in animation quality, though. Maybe my eyes just can't see it for some reason. The windblowing thing I thought was pretty silly yes, but other than that, I really haven't noticed that much. I dunno, it just doesn't feel any different to -me-.

Like I said, let's wait til the actual two-parter comes out.

There IS another thing to keep in mind, by the way (and I completely forgot about this)- this whole two-parter is pretty much designed for a DVD release (which is coming out early in December, I believe), so that may also be a cause of some of these issues.
    Spoiler:
    By the way, you should probably know that the two-parter is going to have TWO songs in it instead of only one (again, probably because this is pretty much intended as a DVD release). I dunno if they're BOTH going to be in part one, or they're gonna have one per part. So...just be prepared.
    edited Nov 2012
    In other news, Max Gilardi (creator of the .MOV series) currently has a panel going on at Equestria LA. With Egoraptor onstage.

This wouldn't be notable, except he's pretty much dicking on his fans the whole time he's been up there like the audience were a bunch of weirdos.

Can't say I'm much impressed at all. I'd honestly kinda hoped that whole attitude he put out in his vids was only for a joke, but I'm starting to think otherwise.

EDIT: Wow, fuck that. What a d-bag. There's such a thing as dicking on your fans in good fun and being able to laugh at yourselves, but he honestly looked -disgusted- to be there, like he was at SpaghettiCon 2012. He only got worse when Egoraptor got onstage, too...I think he was putting on for Arin so he didn't seem like "one of those gross loser bronies" in front of him.

A few highlights include:
    -Tricking the audience into doing a mass Nazi salute (Will probably end up cut out of the youtube vid Everfree Network puts online of the panel)
    -Bagging on absolutely everyone that came up to ask him a question
    -Dicking on a female cosplayer for DARING to cosplay a male character
    -Generally giving off an aura of "I'm here because you degenerates like my stuff, please stay 25 feet away from me at all times"

If there's more gems, I didn't see them because I couldn't take anymore of this crap. That's a really shitty way to treat your fans. From what I hear though, towards the end he started messing up hardcore and Egoraptor kind of had to save the panel for him.
    Did you see the EverFree animations he made? First one was typical, the second one was jumping on the line like you mentioned here but not as bad.

Did you see the EverFree animations he made? First one was typical, the second one was jumping on the line like you mentioned here but not as bad.

But that's what I mean. There's taking the piss out of a group of people for being silly, and then there's just outright being condescending. He was without a doubt the latter here.

I'm far from the only person calling him out on this, by the way. Pretty big thread on /mlp/ last night on it (and if /mlp/ starts calling him on it, you know it's bad), and right now, the panel is actually a BANNED TOPIC on the EQLA IRC chat. There's actually a decent chance Final Draft with either have to edit the panel a lot, or just not be able to post it at all (their site's fairly puritan, they attempt to keep it strictly PG on site-posted content).
    I'm not defending him or anything, just saying that "I'm not surprised and here is why:"

With how each .mov "escalated" a bit I was wondering how far he would keep going. That and these recent events make me wonder even more about how the last one will be.
    Bummer to hear he's a tool (especially disgusting to act like that at a live event), but I can't say I'm totally surprised. His attitude is in those .mov videos.

What was Egoraptor doing there, btw?
    @UPSLynx - Egoraptor does a couple of the voices in the movies, most notably, he's the voice of Rarity. He did it during the panel, actually.

I have no idea if they're friends, or if he just got Egoraptor on to do the voice, but I honestly don't see Arin liking the show all that much. I honestly think that Max turned it up to 11 just because he was there. Which is funny, because from what I've seen, Egoraptor kinda had to run safety for him.

It's sad when your friend who only did a fan voice for you and probably has little interest in ponies at all and is known for trashing on stuff he feels needs criticizing (see: Game Grumps) has more respect for the fans, than the actual -creator of the the pony parody cartoon-.

Anyway, it's really not worth talking about anymore.
    You know, it's also sort of a side effect of people not connected with show business suddenly finding huge popularity, and suddenly expected to walk the walk that normal actors/directors/producers do. These people don't know how to act, how to play it. When MLP voice talent or directors do a panel, they do it with professionalism because it's their job. When MLP youtubers suddenly head off these panels, most of them don't know how to properly handle it. I see it happen almost every time MLP youtube people get up in these panels.

Sounds like Max is a douche PLUS a guy who has no business being in front of people.
    edited Nov 2012
    So there's been rumors flying back and forth (no doubt helped along by some non-pony media outlets) about a possibility of Disney trying to put Hasbro under their crosshairs for acquisition.

It's all rumors at the moment, so there's not much to really say about it than that. But just what IF Disney did actually try to buy out Hasbro, and suddenly all of the properties became their's? I already know a couple of things (not good) right off the top of my head that would probably happen, but I want to hear what you guys think on the subject, hypothetically.

All I -WILL- say right now is...Disney's preeeetty strict about their copyright enforcement~
    Disney purchased Marvel and did nothing but give them greater resources (Allowing for better movies, though they have led to some corny shows but the comics themselves are untouched.)

They've also purchased Lucas Film and who knows the 7th film might be ok (I'd rather it not made but eh)

As for Hasbro, what are they going to do to it that would honestly be a bad thing? If they stick to the Marvel formula nothing will change except for higher quality work due to greater resources, and honestly I don't care about copy right enforcement, while there's really nothing on it here I'm pretty sure your 'fair-use' law encompasses all the PMVs and everything meaning they can't touch it anyways, the only thing that will really go are the unsanctioned merch, which quite honestly I don't approve of anyways (Though I did get that RD beer stein but eh)
    edited Nov 2012
    Unsanctioned merch. Which has kind of been one of the backbones of the MLP community LONG before there was ever a G4, by the way.

Also, say goodbye to the access we've enjoyed to the people who make this show. The policies they had to enact on the talent after the first Bronycon will PALE in comparison to how much Disney would lock down access (or at least make it more cost-prohibitive).

Not sure if it would also mean C-&-D letter to the Fighting is Magic team, but I wouldn't count it out. (Even if it IS unlikely.)

But the most important thing I think is this~
    I'm a fan of MLP. Oh hey, there's MLP on youtube. Hey, man those Icrontic synchtube streams are nice.

Man, Gravity Falls (part of Disney) is ALSO a pretty great show. So's Motorcity (part of Disney XD).

I can't seem to find them on youtube anywhere, though...'cept for a few clips on the official Disney youtube channel. but those shows are so popular! I wonder why there aren't any episodes of those up on youtube? They'd sure have a lot of folks watching them. Maybe even have synchtubes of them~
    Well I'm not sure. The greater resources would be a definite I feel, but beyond that anything could happen. Personally I think they would go the Marvel route and just leave em be to their devices since they have mostly been doing well on their own anyway.
    Here is a serious/joke question: If Disney did acquire/assimilate Hasbro, is it really Disney doing the assimilating or the ponies?
    Here, how about instead of that, have some DHX Investor Financial Reports. when I wanna cast aside silly rumors and brighten my mood...I totally don't look at these.

Yeah...

Wait...what's that little blip right there?
    Hmmmmm. I wonder what it could possibly mean?
    That we get at least two more seasons of likely far worse quality than seasons 1 and 2.

Can't say I'm surprised though I can't say I was expecting it either, that's corporate, I learned not to put any faith in it a long time ago.
    I was totally trying to cheer folks up this time. I was saying "LOOK IT'S SEASON 4, TOTES HAPPENING". :/