If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Expo Chat: icrontic.com/chat (resets daily @ 5am once event begins)

MLP: FiM discussion thread

Comments

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Specifically Mare Do Well, it's ponies and Batman!
    I always thought it was Darkwing Duck?
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited Apr 2012
    Perhaps but they reference both in the episode and the shirt itself is done in the black/white on red style of the BTAS logo.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    true
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    The logo of Mare Do Well is BTAS, while the costume colors in the episode and hat are definitely Darkwing Duck. It's entirely awesome.
    edited Apr 2012
    Errypony is ma waifu
    http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/04/story-my-little-trixie-everytrixie-is.html

EDIT: Haha Trixieas enjoys this story immensely!
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    So this is probably Youtube profiling me but meh...

I have Bulls on Parade in my head so I pulled up youtube and searched to find the video. I clicked the video and the ad started playing... MLP:FIM spike and rarity talking about something (a clip from an episode)... I clicked it and there was this:

-Digi
    Errypony is ma waifu
    If everyone is your waifu then ... hold on thinking too hard, bad images.

@BobbyDigi, I wonder if they'll upload full episodes if only for a limited time, say the weekend a new one comes out. I doubt it though, and I don't see em going farther then that.

Sidenote: Correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm guessing the joke to the "waifu" meme is the mispronunciation. At first I never got it cause I know the rules and follow em.
    @RahnalH102 Trixie is my waifu, in the Trixieverse errypony is Trixie, ergo errypony is ma waifu.

Think about it however you want, doesn't make it any less true.

Actually come to think about it, if errypony is Trixie then I am not Ilriyas but also Trixie which means ma waifu is myself.
    Never mind...just ignore that part.

It's basically used when someone speaks of their favourite female anime or cartoon character.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    Brain Bucket #Hats

-Digi
    Actually come to think about it, if errypony is Trixie then I am not Ilriyas but also Trixie which means ma waifu is myself.

It's basically used when someone speaks of their favourite female anime or cartoon character.
    Part A) That was my point. EVERYONE. Lynx, Jelly Pony, Scootaloo, Molestia, Chrysalis, ... baby Pound Cake. UGH See thinking too hard about it.

Part B) The joke I get out of it is the mispronuciation as "wi-fu" instead of the proper "wife" or "wrife" if you got the accent going on. I'm not sure if that is the intended humor to it. Regardless, Trixie is your waifu and in that world, everyone including yourself is your wife. Paradox
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited Apr 2012
    Part B) The joke I get out of it is the mispronuciation as "wi-fu" instead of the proper "wife" or "wrife" if you got the accent going on. I'm not sure if that is the intended humor to it.
    AFAIK 'mai waifu' ascended to meme-hood after appearing in some animu the name of which eludes me:

/a/ adopted it as a more weeaboo way of saying 'my imaginary cartoon girlfriend' and it snowballed from there; much of the humour stems from its association with hilariously tragic, body pillow buying w/a/ps rather than from the pronunciation.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    ^ Azumanga Daioh. Some loser here uses an avatar from that show, can't remember who though.
    @Basil, ahh thank you. I'm gonna stick with mispronunciation personally. I find it more humorous that way.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

Obligatory.
    Oh...oh God...cannot erase...mental...imagery...

...help
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Did we really just have a waifu discussion?
    Yes and you missed out.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited Apr 2012
    INB4 Lynx compensates by spamming lily is ma waifu for the whole stream.

In other news, apparently Fluttershy is a popular waifu, even for other cartoon characters:

You can see the terror in those eyes.

@UPSLynx is your shock that we are having another waifu discussion or that we are discussing the origins of 'waifu'?

• BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    So, apparently there are a certain amount of folks getting their panties in a twist about the "Brony thank You Project". Basically someone proposed the idea that a bunch of folks should pool their money together and buy some 30 second ad space on The Hub itself to air a thank you message to the DHX staff and The Hub and stuff, and The Hub actually messaged back and gave 'em some decent rates.

It got all of the money they needed to air the ad at least a couple of times within the first couple of days.

I've already written on the subject to someone else on Tumblr.

Honestly, I have never really heard of any other internet fandom banding together and doing something like this. We've raised money for charity drives all over the place and everything, become enough of a voice to get Hasbro to put out Nightmare Moon, DJ-PON3, and Trixie in a toy pack this fall, but holy fuck BUYING AD SPACE ON THE NETWORK THAT AIRS THE SHOW WE'RE ALL CRAZY ABOUT IS TOTALLY NOT COOL.

Keep in mind that the pic above isn't representative of a majority voice in the fandom. Again, as with all discourse, it's a minority of folks in the group making the rumblings. It's just that this whole thing just boggles my mind.

It's not the BEST use of brony dosh, but at what point is all of this a BAD thing?

EDIT: Also, I'm not quite sure if some of these folks who are complaining about this project have even LOOKED at the project page.
    Otherwise they probably would have seen that.
    I read that and the first thing that came to mind is a quote from a discussion I witnessed ... just yesterday I believe (so tired, losing track of time,) about a creature in a certain awesome game.
    "Swims through molten rock? Understandable. Sand? BLASPHEMY!!"

I'm not really surprised. There is ALWAYS gonna be someone who complains. They may not necessarily complain about it in that the act is negative, but that it could have been done "better", case in point right here.

I can see the point of "buy the actual products to support the creators," however, you have to admit Hasbro is slacking quite a bit in facilitating that department. At least on the "DVDs" part. The toys will probably always be targeted at their intended demographic and the adults will make do like they have been for years, but a little increase in show-to-toy accuracy wouldn't hurt.

Personally I just think that this proves again that this show's unusual fanbase is particularly proactive in good ways.
    Yeah, the money can go to better places (like merch buys to promote a full DVD release), but this is a really good idea when you think about it. Almost all of the brony fans of MLP have watched the show via YouTube, where Hasbo my benefit from the merch trickle-down buys, but the Hub as a network doesn't get jack diddly out of it. It's one of the main reasons I'm completely shocked that not only have they allowed YouTube users to do what they do, but they've practically encouraged it.

With an ad buy like this, the fans are shoveling money directly to the Network, and despite everything else going on, a move like this is the only way to ensure that the show goes on.
    I think it's a great idea personally. Yes it's not the same thing as buying the merch or the DvDs (Though in the case of anyone outside of the States it's impossible to do that anyways) but it's a way of saying 'We really appreciate the way you guys have handled the show and we are willing to throw money your way to make more of it.'

My only wish is that they start making more accurate show plushies (Or at the very least release the show-accurate blind-bags in Canada...I really want that Trixie)
    edited May 2012
    ...I just want to say that I'm really glad I'm part of a community that has (relatively) rational and level-headed folks.

Even if I'm not, personally, sometimes.

EDIT: Content here for you guys.

Our pal at WinDEU released a few no-bar videos to show some of his skills without using the bar.

....and a lil something when they DO use the bar.

(Lemme know if you guys are getting sick of the WinDEU videos. I still consider it -slightly- pony-related because of the project, and I'm honestly not sure where else to put these.)
    edited May 2012
    ....WOW. Holy cow. I've seen amazing DDR players in my time, but these guys are seriously top notch. Unbelievable.
    DDR IS SRS BZNZ
    So, apparently a bunch of bronies have taken it upon themselves to try their hands (hooves?) at doing a ponified redux of the 1938 broadcast of "War Of The Worlds" with Orson Welles and Mercury Theater.

Folks have apparently said the start of it is slightly bleh, but once stuff starts happening, it gets really good.

I haven't watched it personally yet (still pretty early), but I'll get around to it a little later. I just thought the fact that folks would actually take the time to get together and slap down a little under an hour's worth of audio for a project like -this- is pretty amazing, regardless. And for something that's considered classic.
    edited May 2012
    I'm hesitant, the magic behind Orson Welles's broadcast was that it was done so well that it caused riots in New York because everyone thought that it was an actual alien invasion. Not only that but H.G. Wells actually complimented Orson Welles for the performance. Welles was able to take the book and convert it into a radio format so nothing was lost from the original and being a professional playwright/director/actor (Well one of the best would be better to say) it turned out absolutely brilliant.

Although I commend this group for it I think it's going to be something that I'm going to avoid, if only because I think War of the Worlds is one thing that should stay separate from ponies.