If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

MLP: FiM discussion thread

Comments

• BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited Feb 2013
    You'd have to call me on skype or something, there's no way I could type all of this out (and some of it I think would be a bad idea to put down in text on the web right now).

All I can say is, this is fucking crazy. HUGE fucking mess. Might even be legal shit.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited Feb 2013
    Talked to Hammy. Short version: big brony convention couldn't into financial projection, couldn't pay their tab, and the hotel closed the show early. Drama and butthurt ensues.

Update: also I'm hearing reports that many of those with convention rate hotel rooms were told to GTFO and evicted. Drama continues, twitter asplodes.
    edited Feb 2013
    A much better summary of what we know thus far is here, courtesy of hours of discussion and keeping up-to-date on the topic with my friend, Mbulsht (he's been in a few of our streams).

It's important to note that the actions of a few irresponsible bronies in charge of a con are not indicative of the fandom at large, however. Upon discovering these things, folks at Everfree Network, Celestia Radio, Bronyville, EqD, and many of the different brony groups there all banded together to pull together a donation drive to make sure the VAs/staff didn't get shafted. What happened really sucked, but as a whole we came together to fix a big mess that the convention dumped on everyone.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout New Mexico Icrontian
    Ouch that is quite the mess. Hope they all get home safe and sound.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    They actually used all the money on heroin and blow when the finale hit to try to forget it. Instead they all ended up sprouting wings and becoming princesses. Princesses don't have to pay tabs, so the show went on until they found out that wings don't make you princesses and the hotel raegfased.
    RahnalH102UPSLynx
    Yeah, well, the con orgs are still entirely MIA. I daresay they've got some legal repercussions waiting for them when they DO resurface.

In the meantime, M.A. Larson, Lee Tockar, and several other folks are pulling together with other bronies to try and get some relief out to the congoers that got shafted/stranded in Vegas because of this mess.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Feb 2013
    Yesterday a guy who looks like he could be the head of a biker gang came into my store and bought a pack of FiM trading cards and a bottle of whiskey. Nothing else.
    colaUPSLynxBandrikmidga
    Did he look anything like this gentleman, perhaps? (Though his head is shaved bald on top, now.)
    edited Mar 2013
    IT'S DERPY DAY. The day where you are required to eat at least ONE muffin and show someone a kindness, in honor of objectively best pone everyone's favorite wall-eyed mailmare.
    UPSLynxRahnalH102Guppy
    I just ate a bakery-fresh glazed cinnamon roll doughnut to honor Derpy day. Perhaps not a muffin, but close enough for me.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I must go out and acquire muffin.
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
  • colacola the dick man himself Right behind you Icrontian
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    Just finished a banana nut muffin.
    So, got another announcement from Mane6.
    Hey everyone!

We have good news and bad news.

First, the bad news: We’ve tried a few different ways of talking to Hasbro about getting special permission to continue the game, but it seems that is officially a dead end, and it's time for us to move on.

The good news is that the game is not dead!

Some even gooder news is that we have a new member in the Mane6 family...

We’d like you all to warmly welcome Lauren Faust to the team:
    Hey folks! I’m so super psyched to be a part of this! I hope I can do my little part to help Mane6 finish up this game in a way that stays true to the spirit of the original—but in a way that can freely be shared! I hope you like what we come up with. -LF
    She’ll be working with us (or is that the other way around?) to create all new characters for Fighting is Magic.

Yes, we know what you’re thinking, and yes, she is pretty kickass.

So what does this all mean? It means that with Lauren’s help, we are going to finish this game, but it will no longer be based on the MLP franchise. It will be all new characters in a new setting, while keeping the moves, mechanics, and style of the game we wanted to make from the start. This means a lot of work for us, and a bunch of new challenges, but we’re excited about the possibilities that come along with them.

We are still in the early concept stage and can’t wait to update everyone on what we come up with together. We will provide plenty of opportunities for you guys to get to know the characters and their world.

We know you guys will have a lot of questions, we’ll do our best to answer them, but at this early stage some might be a bit hard to tackle.

Thanks for sticking around for the ride. <3

– Mane6 team.</p>
    Yeah, I know, not MLP anymore, but Faust is now working directly with the team, which is pretty fuckin' cool. While it won't be directly MLP, it looks like they're going to try and keep the mechanics the same and such, and I'd be willing to bet that what they do come up with will probably be fairly MLP-esque.

If you don't care, that's your choice, but personally I'm kinda interested in what they're gonna come up with.
    GuppyRahnalH102UPSLynxmidga
    edited Mar 2013
    Pinkie Pie

Discuss.
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    Some people from /mlp/ are collecting data on what really happened at LPU. It turns out the whole thing may have been a scam. Here's the document with the information they have so far.
    Yeah, past few days have been very illuminating. Pretty crazy stuff. Unicon pretty much looks like it was one huge...con.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    What a world where the creator of the series has no say on what people can or can't do with her characters. Hasbro shitlords.
    MLP:FiM was doomed from the start, so I'm not surprised to hear it's "case closed" for that rendition of the game.

Having said that, I'm delighted to hear that Faust is doing more than just offering advice, but fully coming on board with the game. That made all the difference to me, from "meh, no ponies, whatever" to "ooooh, interesting, tell me more".

TL;DR: Faust > Ponies
    BHHammymidga
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    So, kids were home sick most of the week, and much MLP:FIM ensued.

I asked them some questions this evening and put them on video:

GuppyRahnalH102BHHammyUPSLynx
    @Bandrik - Like i said, I initially liked FiM for the whole fighting-as-ponies aspect, but they've long since sold me on their ability to make a competent fighting game, since then. They aimed to make a great fighting game first, and a pony game second, and it shined through to the staff at EVO. That's why the guys in charge over there gave it so many chances.

At this point, I could give less than a shit if it's not about ponies. At this point, nothing anyone can say or do will make that happen again. What I -do- care about is them still putting that effort and those resources towards making a game, period, and it looks like they're going to be very well-off now.

@AlexDeGruven - Your kids have excellent taste in ponies, just FYI.

That's amazing stuff. I about lost it when your youngest belted out "WAINBOW DAS!", that's just too cute for words.
    I tried jumping the first chance I got it.

I didn't realize that Woona has JET PROPULSION LEGS.
    RahnalH102

So, kids were home sick most of the week, and much MLP:FIM ensued.

I asked them some questions this evening and put them on video:

omg. These videos are the best!
    Sprite animations look pretty good. I'm intrigued.
    Gave it a shot...don't think I can really pass a decent judgement on it without getting a gamepad again, unfortunately, I REALLY suck at controlling 2D platforming stuff with a keyboard. They've got the beginnings of something good here, though.
  • Requit said:

So Hasbro released the reason why they sent Fighting is Magic a C&D...

For those of you too lazy to click that link, I have a screencap:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    No, I'm not being serious.

Wow...I almost shit meself
    edited Mar 2013
    Hahaha, a gaming equivalent to The Onion? Yeah, bookmarking that.

EDIT: Not pony, but oh my god this article is the best thing.
    UPSLynx
    edited Mar 2013
    That article resonates with me. I agree, everypony should have a right to express their sexuality whether it is straight, gay, or pony.
    We've already discussed this, no clop.
  • cola said:

We've already discussed this, no clop.

Just reacting to this:
    Bandrik said:

That article resonates with me. I agree, everypony should have a right to express their sexuality whether it is straight, gay, or pony.

BHHammy said:

Hahaha, a gaming equivalent to The Onion? Yeah, bookmarking that.

EDIT: Not pony, but oh my god this article is the best thing.

oh my gosh, that is the best. I hate that in theory, this doesn't sound like such a bad idea.... dumb Squenix.
    If you're in to clop that's one thing, but there is no place for it here, this is a family friendly site. As I said, we've discussed this before.
    I think said person was saying "da clop" as an alternative to the expression "da fuck", or as in "what the fuck". It was not an expressed interest in clop material.
  • BHHammy said:

I think said person was saying "da clop" as an alternative to the expression "da fuck", or as in "what the fuck". It was not an expressed interest in clop material.

Dat would be "da buq" or "da buck"
    cola said:

If you're in to clop that's one thing, but there is no place for it here, this is a family friendly site. As I said, we've discussed this before.

UPSLynx said:

No clop.

I get it

Now, my point is that @Bandrik basically said, in many works, he's cool with da clops...

I'm not saying anything to intentionally make this 18+

But now that my point is on the table...I leave it there

edited Mar 2013

Now, my point is that @Bandrik basically said, in many works, he's cool with da clops...

I'm not sure what you're saying, but I think you may have misunderstood me. I was facetiously quoting the article for lulz. Suggesting "pony" as a sexual orientation is hilarious to me.

I'm not saying anything to intentionally make this 18+ But now that my point is on the table...I leave it there

• but I thought you were clever...didnt realize it was a quote...
  • also...not sure if i will need to pull this:

i have both the multiplayer & seice and decist edditions of Fighting is Magic...can i say Sharing is Kindness, my avitar is FShy...
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout New Mexico Icrontian
    It's good to point out that it's not allowed in here, I didn't get that meaning out of what Vinyl said, but we're past that now.

I never tried out the "leaked" versions of the game, mostly cause Fluttershy wasn't available yet so no interest. At least I assumed so, I've been more of the patiently waiting without looking up updates sorta guy for this one.
    If you look through the /mlp/ board, every once in a while you'll find a thread pop up with some folks who are trying to finish the game themselves.

Naturally, there's no fanfare for the obvious reasons, and the distro's all through torrents (I have a copy of one of the builds myself), but still.
    So it turns out that my LoL game may be stronker than I thought...

I played an ARAM with Sethisto from EQD last night, and well...

I went 13/5/15 on Shaco, and long story short he unfriended me and banned me from his ARAM group, I wasn't even talking trash :/
    RahnalH102UPSLynx

i have both the multiplayer & seice and decist edditions of Fighting is Magic...can i say Sharing is Kindness, my avitar is FShy...

What characters are playable in the cease & desist edition? If it's more complete than the version I tried, I'm interested in getting it from you.
  • Bandrik said:

What characters are playable in the cease & desist edition? If it's more complete than the version I tried, I'm interested in getting it from you.
    Applejack, Rarity, Twilight, and Pinkie