If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

ICRONTIC EXPO 2018 is here! Join our chat at icrontic.com/chat.

MLP: FiM discussion thread

Comments

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Yesterday I entered my first comic shop. Didn't even know it was a comic shop. Friends took me there to get some Magic cards and do a draft game. While browsing though I noticed, they had a MLP blind bag box. Now I stay away from general merchandise, but I was tempted. I'm guessing from the "random" aspect of it. However my friends and brother aren't completely tolerant of "Bronies" yet, and I was low on cash anyways. :(

My point is though, my very first visit to a comic shop, and ponies were the most tempting buy. They've definitely grown on me.

P.S. I won the draft match. :D
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I love comic book shops SO MUCH. Great places to hang out, read, and make friends.

Also, you should go back and get dat blind bag and report your findings :D
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I freaking wish we had blindbags up here dude, as I've said the only ones I've got are RD, Twilight, and AJ and that's because they're sold as 'main six' figurines at Toys R Us. Always puts a smile on my face when I buy pony or sonic merch there, the look on some of the cashiers faces when I refuse the gift receipt is often hilarious.

Also congrats on winning the draft match, I'm not much of a fan but you can get some pretty sweet decks out of those things.

P.S. If you do buy one and it happens to be a Trixie I will pay you A LOT just to ship it to me XD
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    P.S. If you do buy one and it happens to be a Trixie I will pay you A LOT just to ship it to me XD
    Honestly, this would probably be the only reason I would buy it. Not for the pay, but to help ya out. I'm just not that into the merch, ya know. If I manage to pop in the place again I'll try my luck as I shop for other stuff as well. That Green Lantern patch was calling me. :)

Love the deck I got out of it. Fits my style perfectly, but that's another topic.
  • I think it's a great idea personally. Yes it's not the same thing as buying the merch or the DvDs (Though in the case of anyone outside of the States it's impossible to do that anyways) but it's a way of saying 'We really appreciate the way you guys have handled the show and we are willing to throw money your way to make more of it.'
    I'm late to this discussion, and it seems like you guys managed to come to the 'right' conclusion on your own (refreshingly, after having to endure a weekend of reddit comments a week or so ago that all essentially boiled down to "nothing good can come of this...")

It's worth noting that no less that Margaret Loesch (go google her, you'll be amazed what she's been involved with) called me personally to congratulate us on our successes to date, and offer some helpful notes on things they thought might make the ad better. VP-level folks from both The Hub and Hasbro corporate interceded on our behalf with Toys for Tots, to convince them to let us designated them as our charity in the ad. The Thank You Project has visibility very high up at both Hasbro and The Hub, and obviously they think it's a good idea or they would never have sold us the ad time in the first place.

At the moment, we have an Army brony and a Naval Officer brony in the rough-cut of the ad, both have passed stringent background checks including a full US criminal background check. We also have a brony with an MS in Biology who we shot at her lab, and a father/son brony pair. Add in the 18 yr old Magna Cum Laude brony going on to college and the 8-12 year old we're waiting for, and you have a diverse and highly positive image of MLP fans. The ad will include a call to action, urging people to donate MLP and other toys to Toys for Tots this holiday season.

We've already donated $1,000 directly to Toys for Tots, and intend to make more donations to eligible charities through the rest of the year. I've spent the last few weeks filing our NH State articles of incorporation, our NH Attorney General paperwork to be a public charity, opening bank accounts, creating a board of directors, and working with our Pro Brony lawyer (did you see what I did there?) to prepare our IRS form 1023, which should set us up sometime in the next 4-12 months as a federally recognized, tax-exempt, tax-deductible 501(c)(3) charity, able to work with other brony charities as a zero-cost service bureau, funneling funds through us to their designated recipient charities, so that donors get the tax deductible benefits, and the organizers don't end up with thousands of dollars in money that the IRS will treat as taxable personal income.

Of course, to the snarkers over on 4chan, ponychan and reddit, we'll always be a bunch of mastubatory losers on a mission to doom the fandom. I'd like to think that everyone else figured out that some of us really do know what we're doing...

Check out our current goings on at our web site, we even have our balance sheets and P&L statement, if you're really masochistic or have a double-entry bookkeeping fetish.

Coder Brony
    aka James Turner
    President and Chairman of the Board
    The Brony Thank You Fund, Incorporated
    A Registered NH Non-Profit Corporation
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    Welcome to Icrontic coderbrony! Thank you for the inside scoop on what is going on there. Makin' some amazing stuff happen.

-Digi
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Yeah, thank you much for stopping by <3
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited Jun 2012
    @coderbrony Oh, no kidding?

Thanks for dropping by. You should stick around our community, you might enjoy it here!

I listened to your interview on Bronyville a couple of weeks back- you guys seem to REALLY know what you're doing. Plus with what you've said about federal registration and the like, it sounds like a REALLY good idea to springboard off of this to give bronies a federally-registered, legitimized, reputable Not-For-Profit to put their charity money though to where it needs to go. It's your long-term planning here that impresses me. That and you guys are going all-out with this, too. I can't say I'm unhappy with some of the revisions to the script you've made since the last time I spoke of this, either.
    As the others have said, thanks for stopping by and for the info!

I'm happy to see this working out so well!
    It's worth noting that no less that Margaret Loesch (go google her, you'll be amazed what she's been involved with) called me personally to congratulate us on our successes to date, and offer some helpful notes on things they thought might make the ad better. VP-level folks from both The Hub and Hasbro corporate interceded on our behalf with Toys for Tots, to convince them to let us designated them as our charity in the ad. The Thank You Project has visibility very high up at both Hasbro and The Hub, and obviously they think it's a good idea or they would never have sold us the ad time in the first place.
    If there is one thing I have noticed evolving in my intended career lately, it's that the fandoms have an increasing voice and that the creators/managers can build upon this to bring benefits to everyone involved. I'm not saying that the creators need to bow to the whims of the fandom, *coughme3cough* but that they can facilitate the positive energy of the fandom. Hasbro and The Hub, seem to get this.

We'll have to wait and see if this continues to grow in a positive way across all media. OR possibly not wait and be a part of it.

Just my pennies.

HOLY !@#$! ... I remember John Stuart Mill. My philosophy class is working!

Seriously though, I agree with this. Although personally, it's not that I thought I was challenging the norm per say, nor really realized that I was. I just didn't care.
    edited Jun 2012
    Same here, I just thought it was interesting, an unbiased view of the show is always welcome.

Course looking back I guess I did have some problems with the show when I first heard of it from friends I thought there was something wrong with them :D (Although I also thought it was like the one from the 80s, I never expected it to be as awesome as it is)
    Don't just stop at that video. Look through his whole channel.

Seriously, all of that shit is amazing. The man dishes out some amazing food for thought, and this sort of critical thinking should be encouraged. O even learned a couple things I'd never even heard of before from his videos. It's a shame he updates every -two- weeks, but that gives him time to put out a quality product, so.

Thing is, this guy's also smart for another reason- A lot of the topics he's discussed thus far have things in them that matter to a lot of people. For example, his first video is about Mario being a piece of surrealist art- BOOM, right there you get the attention of gamers. Then he goes after Miku Hatsune, and so on and so forth. This is all stuff that tends to have sizable groups of people attached to it. Whether or not he's doing it consciously, he's actually been playing his cards right to bring people in to these videos. Just thought that was interesting.

Though as for this video about the bronies, apparently he'd been alluding to it quietly the past couple of episodes.
    Yeah I subscribed to his channel right away, I'm really loving a lot of the topics he's talking about and the perspectives he's bringing along with them.
    So I was just sitting at my computer going through my music collection when suddenly a thought hit me, albeit one completely unrelated to my music.

In the Hearts and Hooves day episode the Cutie Mark Crusaders learn the lesson that nopony should force other ponies to fall in love with each other, even despite their best intentions.

Despite this important lesson however we see that an adult, one who should already know this lesson simply from experience does it on a regular basis with apparently no repercussions. So we bring to the stand Princess Cadence.

Yet another thought occurs while I write this, if she has this power, the power to force love then is Shining Armour's love for her genuine? Hers for him may very well be but who's to say she didn't simply brainwash him into having reciprocating feelings?

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    To be fair, it seems like Cadence's power serves mostly to just enhance or encourage what might already be there, rather than just outright -force- ponies to be in love with each other.
    Huh, that comic is spot on to what I was thinking, unfortunately no I've trained myself to be immune to the MiB mind blanker.

@BHHammy, possibly although from the episode it looks like her magic works in a manner similar to cupid, in that she hits them with the magic hearts and they instantly fall into super love.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Jun 2012
    I think it's
    a plot device.
  • Everyone should check out this article, if you haven't already. Great analysis of the "Love and Tolerate" phrase and how it relates to ponies, along with doing a terrific job of touching on the true strengths of the show. Entertainment analysis isn't one of my strengths, so this was very useful and eye-opening for me.

http://www.mlponies.com/2012/06/20/love-tolerance-and-other-myths/
    edited Jun 2012
    Keep in mind that it relates to ponies specifically, and how the media tends to just dig into the brony phenomenon for answers, instead of actually doing their research proper on the show itself.

EDIT: Fixed my post.
  • I read both this and your original post, Hammy, and I can understand your viewpoint. There is certainly a feeling of self-righteousness in the article, but many of the points are valid, and I appreciated the alternate viewpoint on the show. Regardless of the intentions of the writer, analysis like this is always entertaining and enlightening to read, even if I may not end up agreeing with the author's opinions.

Perhaps I just haven't been around the pony fandom long enough, but this is the first case of deeper analysis of the show that I've found. If anyone has suggestions for other sources that you prefer, please let me know - I'd like to check them out, as well.

Thanks for the post(s), Hammy.
    Haha. Believe it or not, the site owner, Dan (Kefkafloyd), contacted me directly on Twitter. Dan's a good man, probably one of the few folks I can reliably count on to be level-headed over there (he'd HAVE to be to keep that bunch in line). Apparently that article's one of the first fandom-meta articles they've really put out since they've been up, and he's been running a tight ship on QC over there.

So it seems I may have jumped the gun on my original post a bit and got caught up with what was going on between the lines rather than what was actually there, and came out with a different result. Hence my edit.
    PonE calenders for your desktop, how much Pony can a pony pony pony.
    Trixie best PonE
    Rimbo Desh
    Dat Vinyl Scratch
    Freaking Everything

My desktop resultant of injury and boredom
    So hopefully this'll stir some discussion, I just checked EQD after the first time in ever and I was shocked by this.
    http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/07/season-3-spike-and-twilight-song-from.html
    Trixie is 'confirmed'
    Spike and Rarity are going to have a duet in S3
    More speaking roles for Big Mac (Not actually covered but you gotta hope)
    Other cool stuff.
    edited Jul 2012
    SFHSKHSSGJKSGKSKDGFHKSJKHSKSDFFSD

FUCK
    I
    DON'T
    EVEN

Also Luna's getting HYPED, so i really hope she'll play a much more integral role. Either that or maybe they've decided each season is just going to have one "Luna Episode" from now on.

That duet was written AS a hype machine, by the way. It gives next to no ACTUAL information as to what IS happening other than it's a test of something that even Twilight is afraid of.

It's great to see that the animation quality is as amazing as ever.

EDIT: Uh...guys?
    I..uh...found this.

If this is real...ponies next month.
    edited Jul 2012

If Trixie is getting an episode it may very well be my favourite episode of the new season. (So much hnnnggggg I cant even describe.)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    hell. yes.

Though I will believe Trixie confirmed when I actually see it, Comic Con or not. Regardless, I knew we'd hear some good news out of SDCC.
    Reserve all you want, the response was VERY nudge-nudge-wink-wink.

If they give her a background pony role, that will be awesome.
    If she gets a full-blown "RETURN" episode, the fandom is going to go nucking futs.

Chances are, it'll be the former, though.
    edited Jul 2012
    OHHHHH SHIT ANOTHER SONG DROPPED. We've gotten TWO early songs now.

This also has the previous song in better quality as well.

SPOILERS:
    Ok, so what we can take/speculate from this video is...

-It would seem that my initial assumptions were right- the whole "Crystal Kingdom" thing that Hasbro's been trying to do with the ponies is the focus behind the two-parter we're gonna get to kick the season off.

-It would seem this has something to do with Princess Cadance and her magic in relation to something. To what, I'm unsure. Perhaps the Crystal Ponies are too prone to fighting with each other, and only Cadance's magic can keep them from ripping each other (and their kingdom) apart?

-More backstory into Princess Cadance to establish her would be amazing- we sadly get so little of her from the wedding episode, and she seems kinda fun. This looks like this is a step in that direction.

-SMALL MULTICOLORED EWES. EEEEEE. Also, apparently Daniel Ingram will just make up any old thing to hammer out a silly rhyme, won't he?

Probably the most important piece of all. If they have TWO songs fully sung, produced, and animated enough to put out at Show quality at this point, then it would lend a ton of credibility to that official rep saying "Tune in Next Month!" which, again, means we'd be getting new ponies again sometime in august, instead of mid-September like we were expecting. William Anderson's already said that the background score for the first ep was completed today, and Will himself stated that in S1 and S2, he completed the scores generally a month before the episode was supposed to air.

Keep in mind, of course, that means the episodes we DO get will probably be fairly heavily staggered. After all, remember that after the Discord two-parter, there was a 3-week break between that and Lesson Zero coming out, and another two-week one after that waiting in CRAZY anticipation for LUUUUNAAAAA.

I still haven't heard a THING contrary to the "13 episodes this season" bit, in which this two-parter would take up two of them, of course. Assuming the finale isn't another two-parter, that leaves us 11 for the season. I'd imagine we can probably expect some more staggering for production time, and to spread the episodes out a bit more before closing out a third season.

Those 11 remaining episodes, in my opinion, kind of support a "Trixie Returns" sort of episode though. If you've only got that many episodes, you don't have to stretch the season out with as MUCH slice-of-life, and you can go big a bit more often. And you know a Trixie ep would be pretty big.