If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Oh Nature, You So Funny!

RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green DevoutNew Mexico Icrontian
edited Aug 2012 in The Icrontic Pub
So I spent the majority of the day helping my family work on my Sister's property after it had sustained flood damage from a particularly nasty storm a day ago. The flood brought down fences, fill trenches we had dug earlier, and the rain had managed to get into the house and just so happened to fry her computer. :I

But here is the kicker, I spotted this not too far away while we were working:
(yes the pic is small. Taken with my sister's phone :I )

A tornado decided to form and touch down over yonder. We don't normally get those. What with living along the Rockies. In my lifetime there has been one warning in our area but nothing actually happened.

To quote my sis "A flood, AND and tornado?! That's it, I'm moving!"

However the tornado formed in/near the mountains so it was doomed from it's conception and lasted for about 20 minutes.
An hour later and the skies were clear and sun-baking the ground again.

NM weather so fickle. That is my only qualm with my homeland.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    Florida weather is fickle too, we can have a tropical storm then sunshine in same day, or, as happened to my hometown in FL in 2004, we can have a Class 4 Hurricane (with peak winds measured at 173 miles per hour before the annemometer at the hospital broke) make a sudden turn to the ENE and hit Punta Gorda when it was trending and forecast to make land-fall 200 miles plus north of us at Tampa. The place it was supposed to hit was largely unscathed. They sent lots of help, much needed.

The same day saw sunshine later in the day and very hot dry weather, and the FL national guard was passing out bags of trucked in ice at a few places 3 days later when the roads were cleared into town, and Wal-Mart gave away ice, and the local churches that survived the hurricane passed out food, clothing, and ice.

I guess I would be happy the Tornado got nowhere real near your sis's house if I were you. Sorry to hear about the flooding though. We have to have flood insurance here.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    Come to Dallas ... we get snow, ice/sleet, hail in the summer, then record heat waves, tornadoes, etc.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    Weather is fickle all over the past few years especially it seems like.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian

Weather is fickle all over the past few years especially it seems like.

It's the reason for the season