If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Who know what these are?

SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia Icrontian
They don't look like a resistor. This is a picture of the PCB from the instrument cluster of a 2000 Buick Century. I need to figure out what the black cylinders are and replace them.

Comments

• WingaWinga South Africa Icrontian
    They ARE resistors

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Judging from the circuit path and from a larger reference of the same board model those are bandless non colour-coded resistors.

If they are themselves caput then you need to find out what the resistance is/was and replace accordingly. If not I'd suggest resoldering them to the board and giving it a little test.

EDIT: From looking at your picture those things run freaking HOT the board shouldn't have that discolouration around them.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    That discoloration is from my dad's shitty attempt at soldering. I was brought into the repair after he started working on it. Thanks for the help I just needed to confirm that they were in fact resistors.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    The discoloration is just flux on the board no big deal, is this by chance from the instrument cluster?
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia Icrontian
    @troll yes it is. The odometer stopped working and the Web nets says that these resistors are the culprit.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    It should say as well what the values are and you can get them online or at a local electronics shop. You need same resistance and wattage, then a quick solder and it should be good to go!
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    troll said:

It should say as well what the values are and you can get them online or at a local electronics shop.

If you like to save pennies like I do, avoid Radio Shack, their resistor prices are crazy.