If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

The Helium War has been postponed by 45 millennia

ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind DroneAustin, TX Icrontian
The 40-year supply is only the US Helium Reserve, which was started back during the world wars because we thought there was a strategic advantage to having a stockpile of helium. When we realized this was nonsensical, the government started selling off the supply, which causes the dips in cost due to a saturated market.

We can refine plenty of helium from natural gas, and helium is being constantly produced by decaying radioactive elements such as thorium. Further, even if we exhausted all of the helium on the planet, we could still make it synthetically. But still:
In 1996, the U.S. had proven helium reserves, in such gas well complexes, of about 147 billion standard cubic feet (4.2 billion SCM).[81] At rates of use at that time (72 million SCM per year in the U.S.) this is enough helium for about 58 years of U.S. use, and less than this (perhaps 80% of the time) at world use rates, although factors in saving and processing impact effective reserve numbers. It is estimated that the resource base for yet-unproven helium in natural gas in the U.S. is 31–53 trillion SCM, about 1000 times the proven reserves.

Read more
So even though consumption rates have gone up, by those figures and at the standard consumption rate, there is enough helium on earth to last us 45,000 years. The price of helium will go up and the market will stabilize, but we're certainly not running out of it.
Credit: Sydien @ Reddit
RyanFodderKoreishUPSLynxGnomeQueenmidgaardichoke

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    What you're saying is that Ivan doesn't need to worry about the Helium Wars before finding the spring of eternal life?
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    Oh, Ivan if only you could have seen the sights I have seen, faced the horrors I've come across, or even lived a part of the life I have lived; you wouldn't be able to make such a bold statement.
    kimono54
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    Ivan said:

You kids don’t know a damned thing about the Helium Wars.

And neither, it seems, does Ivan. IT HAS BEEN A RUSE ALL ALONG.

• SignalSignal Icrontian
    Koreish said:

Oh, Ivan if only you could have seen the sights I have seen, faced the horrors I've come across, or even lived a part of the life I have lived; you wouldn't be able to make such a bold statement.

I half expected this to turn into a blade runner quote.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    I suppose I could have made it a Blade Runner quote if I was more familiar with Blade Runner. As it stands I've only seen it once and it was over a decade ago.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    I was looking in my private helium reserves and found a tank that says...

You remind me of the babe
  • IvanIvan Icrontian
    @BobbyDigi What babe? :skeptic:
    The babe with the power.
  • IvanIvan Icrontian
    @BobbyDigi What power? :hrm:
    The power of voodoo.
  • IvanIvan Icrontian
    @BobbyDigi Who do? :rolleyes:
    You do.
  • IvanIvan Icrontian
    @BobbyDigi Do what? :zombie:
    Remind me of the babe
    Gargoyle
    edited Jul 2013
    No U!
  • IvanIvan Icrontian
    @BobbyDigi No u.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    wat
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

GnomeQueenPirateNinja
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    This is the best thread on Icrontic right now. Real talk.
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    Awwww... *cancels military grade airship order*
    midgaUPSLynx
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    I need to get more involved in Icrontic daily life, because that shit flew over my head like a helium balloon.
    kimono54
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    I remember the Helium Wars. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Helium mining ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Hindenburg Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like balloons in the sky. Time to float away.
  • IvanIvan
    doesn’t think you should make light of the Helium Wars.
    Icrontian
    doesn’t think you should make light of the Helium Wars.
    CBmidgaUPSLynx
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    The level of amusing in this thread is too damn.... er... about perfect.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I beg to differ about the Helium Wars being postponed for any amount of time...

See This fleet of blimps

So, who's ready? :thumbsup:
  • IvanIvan
    stares off into space, a look of terror growing on his face.
    Icrontian
    stares off into space, a look of terror growing on his face.
    midga