If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Let's Talk Cars

HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
edited Nov 2014 in The Pub

You never know what you're gonna learn from another car lover.

Comments

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

So I'll start this off by saying I love shelby cobras, (not to be confused with ford mustang cobras.) What's your favorite car?

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

I saw a pair of the 2015 Corvette Z-06es on 75 the other day.

HNGH. Not terribly different style-wise from the current Vettes, but there's a few touches (spoiler, side vents, etc) that give them a little more of that "Watch out" look to them.

And the sound. OMG the sound was just unf++.

Also, 0-60 in 2.8 sec.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    I saw a pair of the 2015 Corvette Z-06es on 75 the other day.

HNGH. Not terribly different style-wise from the current Vettes, but there's a few touches (spoiler, side vents, etc) that give them a little more of that "Watch out" look to them.

And the sound. OMG the sound was just unf++.

Also, 0-60 in 2.8 sec.

Wow

• NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian

Pontiac Fiero as a rally car.

Basil
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

Oh, and for anyone curious about the sound of the 2015 ZO6:

UPSLynx
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

I'm mechanically retarded about cars, but I love cars!

I just bought a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT (V6). I love it. It's so fast. I'm so happy to drive my car every day. The Thraxmobile is a beast.

SonorousHeroUPSLynx
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    I'm mechanically retarded about cars, but I love cars!

I just bought a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT (V6). I love it. It's so fast. I'm so happy to drive my car every day. The Thraxmobile is a beast.

Same here on the mechanical ability.

I just bought a 2010 Infiniti G73x Coupe and feel the same way Thrax does about his Genesis. Also extremely comfortable on long road trips.

RyderUPSLynx
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian

I drive a 2007 Corolla with no power anything and a stick shift. My favorite thing about my car is it's paid off in full and it's cheap to insure, repair, and fill up.

BasilTushon_kGarg
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited Oct 2014

I drive a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. I love it.

However, I HATE the roads in Michigan. Thanks to the harsh winter, we had much worse than average potholes this year. Back in February, I was driving home at night, in the rain and didn't spot a particularly nasty one until it was too late. Hit it, tire almost immediately started going flat. Made it home, put the spare on, took it in to get it looked at. It had bent and cracked the rim, as well as shredding the tire. Luckily, the place I took it to referred me to another shop that had the tools to fix it. They reshaped the rim, had the crack welded up and replaced the tire all for a bit less than it costs just to replace the aluminum rim on my car. I was a happy camper. Fast forward to this month, one of my tires is losing air at a clip of about 10psi per week. Finally take it in today, turns out that rim was also bent and cracked, albeit to a much lesser degree. So the shop is currently in the process of getting that one welded and reshaped. Effing potholes. I will gladly pay more in state and local taxes if we could keep our roads from crumbling FFS.

• JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I used to have an Audi A3 and that car was a TON of fun to drive (DSG trans, turbo, etc...awesome!). But, my ultimate ride that would require a change of underwear? A 1956 Chevy 210 like these:

PirateNinja
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia Icrontian

Current ride is a 2010 Mazda 6s. The 3.7L V6 is a gem. It's a bored out version of Ford's 3.5L Cyclone Engine (Duratec 35), which made Wards 10 best engines list in 2007. I think the trany is Mazda designed, and while it has it's quirks is a great transmission. I wish it had navigation, but I bought used, so my choice was limited. Someday I would like to trade it in for something a little faster, maybe an M3.

My dream car is a different story. The 458 Italia.

Staggering lines. Such a beautiful car.

PirateNinja
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

Dream cars?

Pagani Zonda Cinque. No contest. Zonda R doesn't get the nod because it's not homologated.

PirateNinja
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

Okay, less road ranting, more dream cars.

1969 Chevelle SS

Tesla Roadster

Perhaps I dream small, but I would love either of those two cars with every fiber of my being.

PirateNinjaHero

I would kill to drive a Zonda, just once, to spin out and look like a total moron. I think I am a bit to chicken shit to own one though.

Dream car...
    69 GTO Judge. I've wanted one since I was 16.

Hero
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Oct 2014

Because MOPAR!: (That 69 Charger R/T: Yes, the General Lee and that 71 Roadrunner...SOOOOOOOOO DREAMY) Was a fan of these since my childhood neighbor had them. His apartment complex car collection was seriously impressive.

HeroKwitko
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@BuddyJ said:
    I drove an Atom once. It pretty much ruined everything.

Dat face

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:
    Dat face

Dude at work drives one of these.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

im currently in the market for an toyota corolla GT-S (AE-88) with the 4A-GE 1.6L DOHC. its hardly a dream car, but i would just love one of these for its ease of modification, and generally bulletproof nature. the fact that its fairly cheap doesnt hurt either.

very similar to what im looking for though i would settle for the sedan.

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

Good luck getting a hachiroku in decent shape that hasn't been flogged to hell by a Takumi-wannabe. You should consider getting a MA61 Celica Supra. Cheaper, more available, faster, still have pop-up headlights.

/me has 2.

HeroGarg
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Oct 2014

Volkswagon Fahrenheit (orange) GTI. Only 1200 were ever made for the US, and only in 2007. It's the only car I've had a serious crush on.

Best photo album I've seen of one: http://www.theimportautogallery.com/detail-2007-volkswagen-gti-2dr_hatchback_dsg_fahrenheit-used-12691337.html (also one of the best, least-used specimens I've seen)

• NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian

Of dream cars and sounds, wish I could find more footage of her actually being raced in dirt, but check 3:00 for the Lancia Stratos . Other amazing banned rally cars follow, all on road though (where's the fun in that).

I'll pose a question. What's the best (and I mean most fun) new car you can buy for an average price? Lets say $25,000. I'll nominate the 2014 Ford Focus ST. Though it's FWD, the ST is one hot little hatch. It may not be the best looking car Ford has ever made, but it's no ugly duck either. I have never had the chance to drive one, but I have been driven in it, and I have to say that when placed in the hands of a competent driver the ST is an incredible machine. So, what is better than the Focus ST? GTI? Veloster? Mazda 3?

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

WRX ought to be high on the list.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Agree, WRX.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

The WR X has some of the most uncomfortable seats I've ever graced with my ass. You can get a Miata for under 25k. Also there are some base level camaros and mustangs that slip under 25k

Most fun for $25,000? I'd vote MiniCooperS. It's like driving a go cart through traffic.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

New car under $25K: Scion FR-S manual transmission.

ThraxHero