If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

DC Suicide Squad

Church4252Church4252 K-Pop authority™, Pho KingMadison Heights, MI Icrontian
edited Jul 2015 in The Pub

BobbyDigiSnarkasmoni_dels

Comments

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

<3 Margot Robie.

UPSLynxGnomeWizarddprimesuspectoni_delsChurch4252
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited Jul 2015

I don't like the Joker as a common trailer park thug with a hundred hipster chic tattoos. It isn't working for me.

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

Someone go tell the protoeuropeans that their tattoos are hipster dumb, ok? 5200 years of time travel will be tough, but I believe in you.

UPSLynx
    edited Jul 2015

That's a huge part of the culture. Embracing dated trends. The only way they could make him worse is to have him grow a gratuitous green beard.

I believe CB just found the most elegant possible way to tell me to stfu that I have ever read. Man has a way with words. :)

GnomeQueen
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Trailer makes it look pretty freaking awesome:

BobbyDigi
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I'm ready, I'm ready.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

The character I'm most excited for? Amanda Waller.

UPSLynx

Seriously though that trailer is fantastic. It should win an editing award.

Cliff_Forsteroni_dels
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Jan 2016

Having zero knowledge about any of this aside from just watching these two trailors and my own speculation:

DC is using the only other IP it has in the world besides Superman and Batman by making a movie about super-power villains I've never heard of versus... a juggalo Joker? And the 27th version of Batman makes a cameo.

It looks entertaining, I'm just a little hung up on why they're throwing the Joker in there. It seems like they're desperately trying to connect it to some discombobulated DC universe because Marvel did it so it must be a good idea.

Cliff_Forster
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian

So here's the important thing to know about the Suicide Squad (and as an avid reader of DC books, I'll try my best to not nerd too much).

Many people say that DC comics' only interesting characters are their villains. While as a fan I don't agree with this notion, I will say that I think DC has the best villains by far when compared to Marvel. Suicide squad took the "team of heroes" concept made popular by X-men and the Justice League and put an awesome twist on it - take all these insanely dangerous and unpredictable villains, forcibly team them together (as you'll see Waller does with explosive collars), and make them do really horrible things. It's super dark and twisted and the concept works so well. Also, it adds great character depth to villains you rarely see outside of a one-shot or mini series.

Suicide Squad is an old series, originally launched in 1987. I never gave a crap about it initially, because DC and comics in general were kinda trash in the early 90s. The new 52 reboot of Suicide Squad, however, is one of the best books DC currently has going. It's really, really great. Highly recommended - you can get the trades for really cheap on Amazon.

All that said, the trailer's focus on the Joker is a little odd. He's never been a central figure in Suicide Squad. In fact, in the beginning of the New 52 SS, he's thought to be dead and outside of Harley Quinn being crushed by this news, there's not much other effect on the story. It shouldn't be implied that the Suicide Squad is out to stop the Joker, because the tasks that they're made to do in the books are much, much more terrible and dark. Hopefully, the film doesn't turn this into "Suicide Squad Vs. The Joker", but we'll see how that goes.

But the important thing to remember, like the X-men, Justice League, or whatever other Marvel/DC cross-franchise IP, The Suicide Squad is their own thing and as they go about their misadventures, they often cross paths with big characters from other IP. The Joker, Batman, et al make occasional appearances because this is all happening in the same universe. So it's not unusual to see the Joker in the film, I just hope that he's not a central figure.

The tone of the trailer and casting is PERFECT, though. I'm really excited, it looks like they're nailing the books so far.

Also, interesting side point, but there's a very distinct possibility that Leto's Joker is not the Joker at all. All rumor and speculation right now, but if you'd like to know more, read this twitter convo (start with the tweet it links to, and read down):

_koni_dels
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

-Digi

UPSLynxLevex

Saw it tonight.

The Internet Hate Machine had this one set up for a massive failure. I saw nothing but negative reviews; and I don't mean critics (I don't even bother with critic reviews anymore). I mean from actual friends and people I know.

It was WAY better than I had been led to believe.

Was it great? No. It was a poorly edited film and you can tell there were arguments behind the scenes about what to keep and what to cut. Some of the scenes and some of the characters made no sense... to the point where I asked myself, "Why was this even included?"... and there were scenes that had no connection to anything that had previously come before, which was very confusing. There were times when I asked myself, "What is going on here?"

Despite that, it was still fun. The villians-as-heroes trope is a good one to explore. The characters that did get good treatment were good characters, if that makes sense.

The Joker was awful. I don't give a fig for Jared Leto's rendition of the iconic character. Heath Ledger's Joker had me in actual fear. There was real tension. Jared's Joker was a caricature. I'M SO EDGY SO CRAZY LOOK AT ME HA HA HA. Nope.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited Aug 2016

Characters were fun, storytelling was a garbage fire. I wasn't able to make a decision on if I liked Leto as the joker because he wasn't on screen more than 10 minutes in the entire movie.

• ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian

Nothing said here is making me reconsider my decision not to see it... Sounds like a pretty awful movie to me. A good concept isn't enough to justify shelling out 40 bucks when it's poorly executed.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

@primesuspect said:

It was a poorly edited film.

From all accounts that I've read, this is what killed it. Warner Bros. weren't happy with anything, because, corporate. So instead of letting the director make a great film, they commercialized it to death. It had promise, and I still plan to see it, if only to surmise what it could have been.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited Aug 2016

@Kwitko said:

@primesuspect said:

From all accounts that I've read, this is what killed it. Warner Bros. weren't happy with anything, because, corporate. So instead of letting the director make a great film, they commercialized it to death. It had promise, and I still plan to see it, if only to surmise what it could have been.

They bent the movie over, corporate F'ed the life out of it, and sprayed marketing dollars all over its back. Don't reward that behavior with your money.

ZanthianardichokeKwitko
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso The one they call... Kelso Boston, MA Icrontian

@MAGIC said:
    They bent the movie over, corporate F'ed the life out of it, and sprayed marketing dollars all over its back. Don't reward that behavior with your money.

reminds me of a south park episode about indiana jones

@MAGIC said:

@Kwitko said:

@primesuspect said:

MAGIC