If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

You know you're getting old when...

SignalSignal Icrontian

Add your own oldisms to this thread.

...having friends over for a weed party involves them cleaning up your garden in exchange for tomatoes.

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

Hearing songs I listened to in High School on Classic Rock Radio.

Seeing movies I loved as an adult getting 20th anniversary showings/remasters/etc

Listening to my kids complain when a download takes more than 10 seconds.

GHoosdumCanti
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

You start having to think about real life decisions like getting married and buying a house.

You meet a new colleague who's really excited and enthusiastic and you think, "aww, that's cute."

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

You can talk to your kids about who they're voting for in the next election.

_k
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Aren't you like 14 @Signal? ;D

Canti
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

@Ryder said:
    Aren't you like 14 Signal? ;D

and a half!

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

You stop to think about the fact that you're about to close on your SECOND house.

How did I get here? :confused:

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

You start theorycrafting your finances instead of your RPG characters, and the thought "I could retire if..." isn't out of the question.

AnnesStrikes
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited Jul 2015

Your same-age friends are now grandparents.

GHoosdumStrikes
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

...or their kids are now in college.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

When my adult students tell me about the books that they "grew up on", and I remember what college classes I was taking when those books came out.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited Jul 2015

@Ryder said:
    Threads on Icrontic about being old are started and a bunch of "kids" I used to know are posting in it.

Yeah, as soon as Brian posted directly after me with 'talking to my kids about voting,' I felt like I didn't even belong here. :p I still feel a little old, damnit!

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

I'm now older than @primesuspect was when he first met me.

RyderBuddyJ
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian

Your weekend projects change from slapping together some hacky code thing to writing a really kickass readme that you'll implement over the next few months.

...am I doing this right?

Ryder
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Your son asks if you can install apps for him onto the new cordless house phone.

RyderThraxRahnalH102
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

When kids ask you why you call physical games "cartridge"

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

The first time you’re telling a story (like old guys do) and you say, “That was … oh, crap, 20 years ago.”
    The first time you’re telling a story and you realize, “Wow, that was 30 years ago.”
    The first time you’re about to tell a story and you think, “That was 40 years ago. Who cares?”

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian

when you look at yourself in the mirror and go.................."Dad?!"

oni_delsBlueTattoo_k
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville Icrontian

@adarryl said:
    when you look at yourself in the mirror and go.................."Dad?! grampa"

primesuspectCBRyder
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Aug 2015

When I cashed a paycheck for a girl who was born in 1999 today. I didn't realize companies were allowed to hire people who haven't even been born yet. Holy crap man.

Ryder_kGHoosdum
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian

As a man, you know you are getting old when..........................you are "invisible" to any woman under the age of .............................
    30?..........
    40?...........
    50?............
    60?.............
    70?!..............OMG!

_k
  • SazbeanSazbean Paladins. Lawful good & violent about it. Detroit, MI Icrontian

When you start getting aches in your body that never go away :(

When "kids" you hire don't get your references because they weren't even born yet when the (song, movie, game, etc.) came out.

When your kid starts high school, & being in high school doesn't seem that long ago to you (shit, it's been ___ years)

When your kids start complaining about not having internet access somewhere where you're going to vacation and you remember having to stock up on books/batteries/tapes in order to make it through summer vacations with your parents.

_k
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

... You google "Bye Felicia" to see what it means because all the young people at work say it.

Ryder
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Huh, wow.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

To save other people the trouble, here's a link.

• portzebieportzebie Arteest Utah, USA Icrontian

You make a grunt when you get up off the couch

oni_dels
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja I don't know how to not Icrontian

I shared this somewhere already, but my nephew was asked if he liked reading maps and his honest response was I don't have that app.

Canti