If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Napoleon Dynamite

CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
edited Feb 2005 in The Pub
Who else around here has seen this movie? I just saw it the other day, I didn't really know anything about it because the ads for the DVD were kinda vague and I never saw the trailer. I asked some people who had seen it, some liked it some really disliked it, so I didn't know what to expect.

I really enjoyed it. It was a very simple movie but it was interesting and really made me like the main character cause he was an odd ball and very geeky but had lots of funny quirks. To me it was one of those movies I enjoyed but I couldn't really tell you why, it's very strange, but worth the time to check out.

I'm curious what other people who have seen it thought of the movie.

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited Jan 2005
    I picked it uo because most of my friends were saying how much they enjoyed the movie. I definitely liked it. It's a movie you can just sit down, pop in, and not pay a whole lot of attention to if you don't want and still laugh. I, of course, paid attention when I watched it. The different quirks of each person just made the entire movie pretty funny.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited Jan 2005
    Personally I thaught it would be more funny. It was OK. The guy that played napolian was real funny, I mean what a dork! I wonder what the actor is like in real life.

I would have given it a 3.5 out of 5.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited Jan 2005
    I dunno. I saw half of it a long time ago, and now that it's out on DVD, everyone seems to be talking about it. I have to say, when I watched it, I was not impressed. You really have to be in the mood for it. And I've also heard, and it seems like it's true, that it's one of those movies that's funnier to talk about later ;D

The weirdest part is that it's PG. All he ever says is, "Goooshhhhhh" ;D

iHis bro, though, is the most entertaining.
    "You're just jealous because I've been talking to hot babes online all day."
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains
    edited Jan 2005
    ill do what every i want, GOD!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited Jan 2005
    IDIOT... GOD...

I didn't like it too much when I first watched it, alone. But then I watched it again with my brother, and it was hilarious. It's a movie you watch with a bunch of buddies, possibly high, whatever.

I bought it without ever watching it, it's pretty good. Slow. But good.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited Jan 2005
    I had never heard of it but was 'forced' to watch it while on holidays. I LMAO seriously to the point of tears and ended up watching it twice plus bringing a copy home.

It's not about plot, I mean there are some huge holes and 'wtf what's that in there for?' moments - the milk tasting contest, for example. I thot for sure the big bro's gf was going to turn out to be a transvestite ;D
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited Jan 2005
    def a great movie. I picked it up when it first came out on dvd. Ive watched it like 4 times . It is just great. I mean " can you bring me my chapstick! " :mullet:
  • mewashere03mewashere03 Michigan
    edited Jan 2005
    I want to see that movie so bad! Thats all everyone talking about rite now, and it sounds awesome. But I've heard from a lot of people that you have to watch with friends or its just not as funny... either way I plan on renting it real soon.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited Jan 2005
    you're just jealous because I'm at home chatting to babes online all day.
  • robbyrobby Olympia, WA
    edited Jan 2005
    your mom goes to college
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Milford, OH Icrontian
    edited Jan 2005
    Personally I thought this movie was retarded, but I got to see it for free.

Its quality seems to be in the company you watch it with that ads to the humor, but not in the movie itself.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited Jan 2005
    I and most of my friends didn't really like it. I might watch it again sometime though, most of you guys have given it positive reviews.
    edited Jan 2005
    Zanthian wrote:
    Personally I thought this movie was retarded, but I got to see it for free.

Its quality seems to be in the company you watch it with that ads to the humor, but not in the movie itself.
    I think that's it. Like I said, when I first watched, I watched it by myself before it was out on DVD, so only a few people had seen it. It seemed really boring, with only a few highlights. If I watched it with my friends (which I'm going to tomorrow) I think it'd be a lot better.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited Jan 2005
    You ever take it off any sweet jumps?
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited Jan 2005
    That movie is flippin' great!
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited Jan 2005
    one of the funniest movies ive seen in a long time.

i loved every second of it!

;)

especially Pedro,

PEDRO OWNZ j00!!
    edited Jan 2005
    Flippin is the big word down here now
  • 1030mhz1030mhz Tail end of tomarrow
    edited Jan 2005
    I worked with a guy just like this, this dude even looked like him, a bunch of my friends sat down and laughed/cried the whole time.
  • XanderXander (See Avatar)
    edited Jan 2005
    I guess I have to see it now. I've heard people talking about it and the majority of people like it but there are a few who absolutley hated it. Need to rent it now I guess.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited Jan 2005
    something important for this thread:

just found a napoleon dynamite soundboard online, check it out

http://www.theseguys.com/pages/ND_soundboard.htm#haha
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited Jan 2005
    I saw the movie as well. I only found 2 or 3 parts that I found funny. Other than that, I can't really say much.

I actually know the writer of the movie. Great guy and his wife is really nice. I think the actor that played Napoleon Dynamite (Jon Heder) had to sit down and study the writer (Jared Hess). Long before Napoleon Dynamite was written, whenever Jared got goofy, he'd talk just like Napoleon. It was too hilarious. He'd even make the same faces you'd see in the movie.

Perhaps that's why the movie wasn't as appealing to me. It was much better live.

My advice, if you're interested in seeing it, at least rent it once. Anyone else, move on and find something else to watch.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    i just saw it last night... I loved it.

It's totally a character movie. There's not really much of a plot to speak of, but once you get into the characters, it's hilarious.

"So, you are guys like Pedro's cousins with all the sweet hookups?" ;D
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    I watched it a few days ago and I was like "WTF?!" throughout the whole movie. I think it's better watching it stoned or something. ;D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    I've never been stoned in my life :wtf: -- and I thought it was great ;D
    edited Feb 2005
    It's better to watch with a group of friends, then talk about later. For no apparent reason, the quotes are completely funnier later.

And dude. WATCH THE DELETED SCENES. The kickball scene should've stayed in there ;D;D;D

"Who's the only one here who knows illegal ninja moves from the government, huh?" ;D
    edited Feb 2005
    Best part is when he throws the steak
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited Feb 2005
    It was pretty funny, but it was kinda slow. There were too many pauses between lines. I guess thats why I still like Kung Pow, Super Troopers and such better than thagt one. Classmates quote it all the time tho.
  • hitokirihitokiri NYC
    edited Feb 2005
    I pretty much just thought the main guy was pathetic. I couldn't identify much with him...and hell, I'd be afraid if iI did. Pretty unfunny movie, just felt like another MTV cash-in-on-the-subculture thing to me.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited Feb 2005
    My son's best friend got a "Vote for Pedro" t-shirt for his 16th birthday, and it was to him the coolest present of all.