How can I connect to my friends computer and do what he wants me to do from my house?

edited December 2007 in The Pub
What type of program would you recommend a free one of course?

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited December 2007
    Hamachi.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska
    edited December 2007
    How can I connect to my friend... and do what [I want] to do [to him] from my house?
    voodoo
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited December 2007
    Are you talking about just seeing each other's screens? If so, Yuuguu is a pretty good cross-platform program for that.
  • edited December 2007
    no Im talking about me connecting and taking control of his computer with his permission.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited December 2007
    RealVNC is what I use.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska
    edited December 2007
    I have UltraVNC installed on four computers on my home network. I have not tried it through an Internet connection, only through LAN. But what I get through LAN I'm very pleased with.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff
    edited December 2007
    Try CrossLoop. No muss, no fuss setup.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US
    edited December 2007
    I use RealVNC all the time on my server over the internet. Just make sure you forward the port.
  • edited December 2007
    I tried to use RealVNC a year or so ago it was confusing
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited December 2007
    Would any of these programs work with two XP Home computers?

Don't mean to hijack your thread, Sniper. :)
    edited December 2007
    Yes, you can use real vnc with any windows OS, even 95.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited December 2007
    Yes, you can use real vnc with any windows OS, even 95.

Prime,

Is this the free version of RealVNC? Will this work for my Dad's PC in Boston, hooked to my lappy here in SoCal?

I suspect I need his public IP address?

Been connecting thru MSN Messenger, too many steps.....
    edited December 2007
    1) Free version.

2) yes.

3) You'll need his public IP, and you'll need port 5900 forwarded to his computer.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX
    edited December 2007
    I've successfully used LogMeIn (https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=en) before and it seemed to work well.

It isn't near as nice as Tight/RealVNC obviously, but you don't have to hassle with IP addresses or port forwarding.
    edited December 2007
    What about computers on the same network? Will it work and what info would I need?

Thanks Prime!
    edited December 2007
    Install RealVNC client and server on both PCs. Connect to the LAN IP of whatever PC you want to control. No need to specify a port, or do any other work.

The end.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited December 2007
    Trogan wrote:
    What about computers on the same network? Will it work and what info would I need?

Thanks Prime!

T,

We use RealVNC here at work, works great on networked machines. I can connect to PCs in any of our offices around the US, over our MPLS...

..Kept meaning to try it on my laptop & Dad's PC, but never got around to it...
    edited December 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Install RealVNC client and server on both PCs. Connect to the LAN IP of whatever PC you want to control. No need to specify a port, or do any other work.

The end.

Unless windows XP built in firewall is turned on. The firewall will block port 5900, you'll have to configure the firewall to allow it. Or turn it off :D
    edited December 2007
    I just assume most people here turn it off, because it's trashy. :)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited December 2007
    Yup. I use realVNC to see my computer in stillwater from enid. I really jsut wanted access to files, but I don't think the router has vpn passthrough, as it wouldn't work. I read on a few forums that it did, but neither connection type worked. I want to just get a vpn router from netgear. But it's ~$200. We have t1 service so I've narrowed it down to the router.
    edited December 2007
    VNC does not use VPN passthrough.
    edited December 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    VNC does not use VPN passthrough.

I am aware of that. I use RealVNC as a result of the vpn not working because of the VPN Passthrough not working. Sorry if I wrote that in a confusing manner.
    edited December 2007
    Finally downloaded RealVNC and got it working following Thrax's instructions. However, I'm using UltraVNC, like Leo, as it allows File Transfer which is useful.

Thanks guys and Sniper for the thread. :p
    edited December 2007
    Trogan wrote:
    Finally downloaded RealVNC and got it working following Thrax's instructions. However, I'm using UltraVNC, like Leo, as it allows File Transfer which is useful.

Thanks guys and Sniper for the thread. :p

Does real vnc allow you to mount your local drives to the remote drive like windows remote desktop service? If so then you could do it like that. That's what I've done with the university because they recently killed the vpn service because 'it wasn't reliabe' I told them I never had a problem with it but they said too bad and there is now no way to transfer files from the university hosted network shares over the network. I guess they aren't as creative as me.

They have the functions of the RD computers cut down so I had to do some backwards thinking to get to where I could see my hard drive.
    edited December 2007
    UltraVNC uses TFTP that gives a remote and local drive enumeration, but there's no mapping done.