Alright you audiophile, you!

13»

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I have a small set of Sennheiser portable folding over the ear headphones. While they may not be the high end solution you are looking for while doing focussed listening at home, its a fantastic portable solution. I think they are great at the gym, they are open back and they let just enough sound in from the outside world that you can move around from station to station safely while you listen to your mp3 player. I tend to prefer open air headphones.

For the home experience, on a budget you just can't go wrong with the Grado SR-80i - only $99 and it sounds fantastic with a range of music. Once again, its an open air design, so a little sound is going to seep out into the environment and you will loose that feeling of being sealed off from the outside world, but the trade off is significantly better venting for the diaphragms to gain more natural sounding extended bass, as well as being far less fatiguing on your ears over long listening sessions.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited December 2009
    I've had a few pairs of Sennheiser earbuds ($100 range) and they all sounded amazing but they were all the least rugged headphones I've ever used, fell apart within two or three months of normal use. I also hated that they picked up so much static when I moved and zapped my ears, a little is expected but these headphones were way over normal.

I got a pair of Apple's in ear headphones for my birthday and I've been really loving them, almost as good sounding as the Sennheisers but more durable and having the mic/volume clicker is nice with my phone.

The oddest pair of headphones I've had are the Airdrives, they sound good but you can hear everything else around you too. I like to tune out the world but hey were perfect for the countless hours I spent playing FEAR with 20 other people over lunch breaks (and in the evenings) at school. Stereo sound plus the trash talk. Fantastic customer service too.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA
    edited December 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    HD-280s. Under $100. They are more than decent. What's wrong?

Guess I didn't word this correctly. I'm looking for a headset. Mic/headphone combo.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited December 2009
    Annes wrote:
    Guess I didn't word this correctly. I'm looking for a headset. Mic/headphone combo.

For a phone or a computer?
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited December 2009
    Annes wrote:

Sennheiser PC-350. GET. They're on sale for $125 at Amazon.
  • edited December 2009
    Annes wrote:

If its just for gaming, don't overspend, the crude blasts and explosions amplified by a less than idea soundcard, its not going to matter if you spend $50 or $500 for that application.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA
    edited December 2009
    If its just for gaming, don't overspend, the crude blasts and explosions amplified by a less than idea soundcard, its not going to matter if you spend $50 or $500 for that application.

Oh, it won't be. It would be a pain to have to switch between heaphones and a headset. I actually mute the sound in a lot of games as well.
  • edited December 2009
    Annes wrote:
    Oh, it won't be. It would be a pain to have to switch between heaphones and a headset. I actually mute the sound in a lot of games as well.

In that case, I can't say I have used that specific set Robert is suggesting, but my experience with Sennheiser is that they perform nicely for music. I have not used them as a gaming headset, but they make quality stuff.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited January 2010
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited January 2010
    That's my boy.
    edited January 2010
    So I went to order the HD 280s on the ewiz.com link I posted above, sold out with no estimations on restock :(

However, I found the HD 280's on Buy.com. after shipping, total price is $62. The product is reconditioned/refurbished though. I've bought many refurbished electronics before (including my Z-5500) and have never had any issues. Would you guys buy refurbished Sennheisers?

Stock is low and that price is stellar, so I'd like to place the order when I wake up tomorrow morning. Wondering what your general input is before I do.
    edited January 2010
    If the refurb status means you still get a warranty from Sennheiser, I wouldn't be too concerned. Buy.com is usually pretty reputable, too.
  • SerpSerp Texas
    edited January 2010
    Sennheiser's warranty on refurbished items is only 90 days, plus Sennheiser say they will only honor a warranty if you buy their headphones from an authorized dealer or reseller and neither Buy.com or "Dakmart" is on the list.

If you're not worried about the warranty though, that's pretty hard to pass up considering alot of places sell those for at least $100.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited January 2010
    Gaarrrggg! I still have yet to purchase a pair of headphones, and with Lynx's Altoids amp reminder on the Sekret Santas thread I have the "I needs" all over again.
    edited January 2010
    I'm not concerned with a full warranty. I have never really had issues with electronics at all, refurb or not. I've had some DOA mobos, but you know, that's how it goes. That price is unbeatable, I'll be OK with the risk.

Grimnoc, I'm going to be in music euphoria well before you will because I know how to make decisions :P
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited January 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Grimnoc, I'm going to be in music euphoria well before you will because I know how to make decisions :P

Ah yes, how very stupid of me! I forgot that it is completely moronic to be stingy with buying things until my school loans are paid back and my yearly IRA contributions are maxed out. :)

Seriously though, I do have good reasons for holding off on some things. :)
    edited January 2010
    I don't believe indecision can be counted as a good reason...

:D
    edited January 2010
    2010-01-09 15.40.01.jpg

THIS IS LOVE.
    edited January 2010
    This picture should have more CMoy in it.
    edited January 2010
    2010-01-09 16.10.19.jpg

Fix't
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA
    edited February 2010
    So I have a pair of HD212's Would it be worth the upgrade?
  • SerpSerp Texas
    edited February 2010
    What kind of music do you listen to and what's your budget?
    edited February 2010
    I listen to everything, Not a ton of rap I think I got like 10 songs I like But From 70's to 80's and 90's Rock, metal, Everything I also do alot of stuff with garageband

I use Ultimate Ears MetroFi 2220's for my Zune and love em
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA
    edited February 2010
    So I have a pair of HD212's Would it be worth the upgrade?
    If you're asking the question then it's worth it (this implies you're not satisfied with what you have.)

-drasnor :fold:
    edited February 2010
    I love my HD 212's But I have had them for a long time ( I say 5 years ) and just have heard amazing things about the 280's and ITs making me wonder what I am missing out on
    edited February 2010
    They'll be different. I recommend you read these:
    http://www.dansdata.com/2senns.htm
    http://www.dansdata.com/hd280.htm
    I've found this reviewer to be extremely reliable.

• SerpSerp Texas
    edited February 2010
    If you listen to a lot of rock you might like Grados.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/grado-sr-60i.php

They are awesome with guitars and sound more "in your face" than Sennheisers do. Grados are "open headphones" not "closed headphones" like the HD212 are, so noise can escape and get in quite easily. If you are wearing these for home use it shouldn't be a problem.
    edited February 2010
    I think Ill stay with my hd212's then if he is correct, I dont get it tho, My hd212's go around my ears not ontop
    edited February 2010
    I believe he mentioned that if you have small ears they'll slip inside the HD212s...