This is why you're single.

Comments

• It could be they just love their kids so much they are excited to talk about it. It's the first thing that comes to mind when they think "what should I write about myself?"
    I'd be surprised to find out their thought process was "How can I immediately filter out everyone who is not willing to accept my unconditional love for my children."
    GHoosdum
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    Or it could be they are overcompensating for their guilt of being a bad parent.
    primesuspectRyanFodder
  • Or it could be that they're being completely honest and you're wrongfully condemning someone who you don't even know in the court of public opinion. The fact of the matter is, you would never know unless you actually got to know them, which I doubt you're interested in because then you'd have less fodder to insult on the Internet for imaginary lulz points.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    AnnesCantiBasil
    ardichoke said:

Or it could be that they're being completely honest and you're wrongfully condemning someone who you don't even know in the court of public opinion. The fact of the matter is, you would never know unless you actually got to know them, which I doubt you're interested in because then you'd have less fodder to insult on the Internet for imaginary lulz points.

Way to take me out of context and jump to conclusions while bringing your negativity into this thread yet again. You have participated in this thread for a while now, both laughing with us about other people's profiles, as well as contributing positive discussion about dating and finding love, so I don't know what your angle is with your negative rants. I'd appreciate it if you kept the negativity to yourself.

The purpose of this thread is not to make fun of people on dating sites. That would be stupid given how many of us have talked openly about using them. The purpose of this thread is for positive discussion about dating, finding a partner(s) and it has also evolved into discussions about body positivity, self-esteem, tolerance and introspect. Many people have approached me at events to tell me they have derived a lot of good information, and have felt comfortable talking out personal issues, and personally thanked me for creating an open, loving and inclusive forum free of judgement to wade through the confusion, hardship and struggle of finding love.

The original post was about pointing out dating profiles that are great examples of what NOT to do when looking for love online. It is just as good of a discussion to have as the testimonials and positive experiences with online dating. We're providing a comprehensive guide to online dating, as well as a bit of comic relief.

I encourage everyone to try to keep profile postings anonymous when possible. But that's just not possible when someone's profile name is AMYSHARTSONG. And when profiles are posted publicly on blog sites, there is no reason to keep them anonymous anymore. Anonymity is a courtesy, not a requirement. And remember that these are public profiles that are open to everyone. We can learn from the mistakes of others, and have a laugh while we're at it. My main concern is that this thread does not turn into a rallying cry for the group to bully and shame others. This is just not the type of forum that spawns that kind of behavior. We have our own laughs, we learn, discover, share and we're all better for it.
    midgaJokkeprimesuspect
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    First off, I just skimmed through the whole thread the other day. I don't recall seeing any of my comments that were insulting toward any of the strangers which you, and other people, have put up here for public shaming.

Second, if the purpose here isn't to make fun of people on dating sites, why do you routinely put people from dating sites up here and do exactly that? If you want a positive discussion about online dating, maybe you should stay away from publicly ridiculing complete strangers and just stick to the positive discussion.

Furthermore, just because someone puts up a dating profile, doesn't mean it's okay to take that profile and use it to insult them elsewhere. How would you like it if some complete stranger took your profile, slapped it up somewhere and proceeded to ruthlessly nitpick every last detail about it? I know I sure as shit wouldn't have liked it, and I'm sure there were grammatical errors and run-on sentences in my OKC profile (back when it existed) which someone like you would have had a field day with. Some of my photos were probably pretty dumb by your standards as well. I mean, I'll give you that at least you stopped posting their usernames all over the place, but still, if that person were ever to wander into Icrontic and see you posting pieces of their profile for shaming purposes, how do you think that's going to make them feel? Would you make half the negative comments about people's profiles that you've made to their face? Unless you're a huge prick, I doubt it. So why is it okay to do it here?

EDIT: Also, the terms of use for OKCupid would appear to forbid you using the site in the way that you are anyway. Not that anyone ever follows the terms of use for any site, but still.
    The pages and content on this Website may not be copied, distributed, modified, published, or transmitted in any other manner, including use for creative work or to sell or promote other products.
    Additionally,
    THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND MAY NOT BE COPIED OR OTHERWISE REPRODUCED WITHOUT HUMOR RAINBOW’S WRITTEN PERMISSION EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH ABOVE. USERS MAY NOT PUBLISH OR CREATE DERIVATIVE WORKS FROM THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE FOR ANY PUBLIC OR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES.
    http://www.okcupid.com/legal/terms
  • You guys are both arguing for the same point, which is a honorable one: Protect people's privacy and don't make fun of them. Two things all of us are guilty of breaking here and there. In this thread, and outside of it.

However, it seems that Ardichoke is just trying to get us to understand that not everyone is going to jump to the same conclusions based on such a small amount of information. I don't think he's being negative.
    Going back to the argument on the very first page of this two year old thread, as the great BobbyDigi so eloquently put the point that I tried to make before him (by foolishly saying go meet the people and get to know them before you write them off):
    TLDR; Never Judge a Book By It's Cover, Even the Jacket Notes. Read The First Chapter.
    This applies to books who have covers that include silly pictures, run on sentences, and declarations for love of children. All things you know nothing about unless you actually get to know said person. Ie. read the book. We can laugh at the book cover, sure, but writing a review on a book you never read doesn't make much sense.

As the great John Watson said, "be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
    ardichoke
    I think you are both misunderstanding the intent of posting examples from other people's profiles in this thread. It is not to ridicule or belittle anyone. It is to spark conversation and gain experience. I realize that talking about single mothers is a bit of a touchy subject compared to women who display pictures of themselves shooting guns in a residential area. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have those discussions. I believe the opposite. These discussions should be had. They are paramount to weeding through the bullshit as well as detecting honesty and sincerity. If you're attempting to censor this thread from such discussion, you are depriving the participants of this thread of full perspective and comprehension.

For the record, I have dated single mothers before. I do not consider it to be a dealbreaker by any means. When I was much younger I couldn't handle the responsibility of dating a single mother, but now that I'm older I am better prepared for what it involves. I run across the profiles of many single mothers on dating sites and many of them state the same thing. "I love my children more than anything and you have to be willing to take a back seat to them if you want to date me." That's admirable. But I have also found that not every woman who says their kids are the most important thing in their life are telling the truth. There are women out there who overcompensate out of guilt for being a bad parent. The moral of the story is to look deeper and make sure that she is who she says she is, rather than just taking her word for it. She very well could be mother of the year, or she could be Caylee Anthony. Most likely she falls somewhere in between. Don't make any assumptions just because she states on her dating profile that no one comes before her children.

Moral binaries do not exist. There is always a grey area. Each single mother on OKCupid that says her kids are the most important thing in her life are not all the same. If you are going to date a single mother, you need to respect that her kids are the most important thing in her life, and treat her and her children accordingly. And it really isn't any of your business how she raises her kids until she's willing to let you become a bigger part of their life. That being said, the normal rules of dating still apply. For someone like myself who values honesty, it is a dealbreaker for me if a woman claims to put her children first, but in practice, does not.

And this brings us back to good old AMYSHARTSONG. Can you please just fucking have a laugh about that without getting your undies in a bunch? She chose the name AMY SHART SONG for crying out fucking loud. That is funny. And you don't get many opportunities to have a laugh like that.

As for criticizing my own profile? Yeah, I welcome it. I actually link my female friends to my profile all the time for peer review. If someone who we've criticized strolls into this thread and finds themselves the butt of our jokes, I hope they have a good enough sense of humor to take it in stride, and even better, to learn from it. I wouldn't expect anything less directed to myself. I've posted a link to my profile here and I welcome criticism.

If after all of this, we are still at an impasse, please, just don't participate in this thread. You are actually hindering the conversation and attempting to deprave people of honest, open communication that can help them find happiness and love. If we try to protect everyone's feelings, no one will get an honest perspective, and this thread is useless.
    primesuspectCanti
  • So many things to say, or I could just sum it up with art.
    RahnalH102
    PirateNinjaprimesuspectRahnalH102GHoosdum
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    IT IS BOTH A POOP AND A FART JOKE. L O L.
    RahnalH102midgaJBoogaloo
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    I'm not sure what to say to that other then "... ... ... No."
    edited November 2013
    NOPE
    midga
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    That bitch is crazy...
    edited November 2013
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    It honestly sounds like trolling, not pure crazy.
    ardichokeTeramona
    It does to me as well, but is the bad grammar and spelling also trolling?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'm voting PSYCHO EX
    GnomeQueen
  • This, children, is why you don't tell anyone else your passwords. Ever. Also, you don't use anything easy to guess and preferably never reuse the same password either.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    There are only 27 pictures and they list the sites they came from, which don't look like dating sites. I think Buzzfeed has finally lost its mind.
    djmephTushon
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    The title should probably read, "bunch of pictures we took from an imgur album on reddit"
    Tushononi_dels
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

This, children, is why you don't tell anyone else your passwords. Ever. Also, you don't use anything easy to guess and preferably never reuse the same password either.

Thanks DAD
    Signal
  • Winfrey said:

The title should probably read, "bunch of pictures we took from an imgur album on reddit"

I assume you mean that Buzzfeed should change the title of every "article" they post to that.
    oni_dels
    #DealWithIt
    MAGIC
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Sorry I'm a chivalrous dapper gentleman...

wut
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Trollfile.
    Canti